Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational play + challenges?

I belong to the very restless type: I start a challenge and then very fast tires of it. I have heard about Rotational Play. But that seems to be a challenge in itself. I would like to try and do some sort of RP BUT with each family doing a separate challenge (Like Drifter Challenge, Heir2Ruins + Building Newcrest etc). Is that even possible?! Would the settings be the same as with a "normal" Rotational Play?

Comments

• Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Is there a normal rotational play? Most people do seem to rotate on a schedule, such as after one Sim week. Some, like me, play with one family until I accomplish whatever goal I have for them or I get bored. I also tend to bring in other families in the neighborhood, so there is a common neighborhood story. Others rotate amongst different households in the same family. I think it would definitely be possible to rotate between different challenges.

You would probably have to have aging on only for the family you're currently playing. A lot of rotational players leave it off entirely, or turn it on only occasionally.

Another possibility for you, if seasons are important, is to rotate between saves. You could have each challenge in a different save file. That way everything would be exactly as you left it.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    I'm currently playing in a save where I have three "dynasties" as I call them. My "Free Spirits" dynasty is just normal game play, but starting with the Get Together Free Spirits household as the founders. I have an "Aspiration Legacy" dynasty for playing the Aspiration Legacy Challenge, and I have a "Not So Berry Complex" dynasty for playing the Not So Berry Challenge (with a twist, but I won't go into that). I don't actually rotate on a schedule. I'll just play with a dynasty until I'm bored of it, and then I'll go back to it when I'm in the mood again.

Aging mechanics are important. Each dynasty has a central household where I do most of the game play. Not So Berry Complex is new and only has that one household. Older dynasties typically have secondary households that are part of the dynasty. I visit these briefly and sporadically for story progression purposes. Aspiration Legacy currently has twelve households. When I return to a given dynasty, I turn aging on for all of the households in the dynasty and turn aging off for the households of the other dynasties.

I love this way to play, because the plot lines from different dynasties sometimes overlap. For example, I'm currently on Not So Berry Complex. Already, the founder has made enemies with the alien nightclub entrepreneur from a subplot in the Free Spirits dynasty and she's become romantically involved with Victor Feng, whose messy divorce was a subplot in the Aspiration Legacy dynasty. Also, I'm not starting out with the same standard environment, I can enjoy the renovations and new venues that were introduced in the other dynasties.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.