The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

San Sequoia World Discussion

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,523 Member
    edited February 2023
    12 lots with 4 lots in each neighbourhood. Not a large world but not surprising at all. These small worlds seem to be standard for the game these days. I remember the days when I thought brindleton Bay was small because it only had 16 lots. I don't think we will ever get large worlds again. I really wish we could get 5 lots in a neighbourhood, it is just that bit more flexible that way. Sometimes I'd rather have two neighbourhoods with 5 or 6 lots than 3 neighbourhoods with only 4 each.
    Not too bad 12 playable lots is pretty good. I'm hoping 2 of the are rental lots so sims can vacation there.

We can always turn lots into vacation lots if we want. So you definitely can have to rentals. Though with only twelve lots in total you might have to move out a family to clear up a lot.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,724 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Only 12 lots ? That’s not much. I mean usually almost all the lots are already filled and you have to move the premade families out so you can place your own sims, because there’s not enough lots.
    Also I hope the lots are big enough to build family homes this time and not mainly tiny 20 x15 lots like in High School years.

At least the lot with the blue house (feature overview trailer) looked decently sized with a good house + a big garden with room for the huge treehouse. (Unless I misunderstood what I saw, LOL)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    12 lots…definitely disappointed. I was hoping for another world similar to the size of Newcrest (which is 15 lots) or at least 16 lots. Also disappointed in the reasoning behind it. If we’re going to continue to get the bare minimum, lower the price. If TS4 has “many” years of content left it’s going to continue to overwork systems with min specs which means we’ll get less lots each time.

Hoping 1/3 of them won’t be 20x15. If we’re getting smaller worlds I’d like bigger lots.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,094 Member
    I love constantly getting the most basic small worlds because (people with minimum specs need to play too) I have never had an issue I play high school with 40 students why must I get less lots when my pc can handle it. At least give us CAW let me make my own 40 lot worlds. Windenburg which has what 23 lots works the same for me as any of the tiny unusable worlds.

If I want a park spa cafe gym vet clinic restaurant wedding venue lounge karaoke bar and a few retail business in this world which I do I don't have much room left for the 8 households I also want here which means this is another world I will never touch Willow Creek forever I guess these expansion worlds are not very expansive.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 764 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    12 lots with 4 lots in each neighbourhood. Not a large world but not surprising at all. These small worlds seem to be standard for the game these days. I remember the days when I thought brindleton Bay was small because it only had 16 lots. I don't think we will ever get large worlds again. I really wish we could get 5 lots in a neighbourhood, it is just that bit more flexible that way. Sometimes I'd rather have two neighbourhoods with 5 or 6 lots than 3 neighbourhoods with only 4 each.
    Not too bad 12 playable lots is pretty good. I'm hoping 2 of the are rental lots so sims can vacation there.

We can always turn lots into vacation lots if we want. So you definitely can have to rentals. Though with only twelve lots in total you might have to move out a family to clear up a lot.

I agree with you. Five lot neighborhoods should be the bare minimum. I honestly don’t mind small worlds but to be small is 15 lots. This just makes it hard to decide where to put community lots.

I just think that the downtown commercial areas of each world should have 5 to 6 slots. Even if that means one of the more residential areas only have three.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,332 Member
    @ChadSims2 I try not to include all lot types in all worlds. My home base is Willow Creek but it takes my sims the same amount of time to travel to a lot in a different world. I do understand that might be a problem for those simmers who think it breaks the continuity of the game to travel to another world for a specific venue.

It's something to get used to though as it sounds like the larger worlds are a thing of the past and future worlds will have a smaller number of lots.

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited February 2023
    Honestly I kind of dislike current EP format

and that we must have world with every dang pack that barely calls for one
    I would much rather have GPs that are 100% gameplay and gameplay related items nothing else

world packs that are just about worlds + world items and world related gameplay

stuff packs that are just for stuff for b/b and cas

this way people could actually choose what the heck they want to add in their game

worlds could be bigger as you wouldn't need to own them all if you don't want to

like why must my computer run these zillion worlds and cas/ bb stuff i never use just so i can have all the gameplay i want
    ah stress

It's time for nap Simmingal stop being grumpypants online
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,724 Member
    I tend to build combo lots. You won't really need a full lot per community lot category. I might build a restaurant (Restaurant category), adding a bar as a separate "business" with it's own design, maybe also a shop on the corner, and on 2nd floor there might be an office that one of my sims can use as their work space, and in the basement there might be a bowling lane, a gym or a photo studio with the studio object. many of the lot categories will work satisfyingly even if the lot is categorized something else. As for the Gym, it might not work with coaching others, but my played sim can definitely go there to work out and shower. A museum as a secondary feature might not count towards your sim's wants (visit Museum), but you can still admire art or paint on an easel. This way - *if* the lots are big enough - you can add tons of scenes to visit even in a small hood.

PS: Many features can even be built underground. Under the Casbah gallery in San Myshuno I have a parliament incl. offices and meeting rooms, Court room incl. press room, aaand a big photo studio. There is also a recycling station on street level, and an Art school in the gallery building.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,279 Member
    Only 12 lots ? That’s not much. I mean usually almost all the lots are already filled and you have to move the premade families out so you can place your own sims, because there’s not enough lots.
    Also I hope the lots are big enough to build family homes this time and not mainly tiny 20 x15 lots like in High School years.

More 30x20 lots would be greatly appreciated. That is the perfect size for a residential lot.

My legacy families beg to differ - I usually feel like they don't have enough space to have both a big enough house and a usable yard on a lot smaller than 40x30 or 50x40. Now 64x64 is definitely oversized.
    But I also agree that I'd like to see more 30x20 or larger lots, not little 20x15s you can barely fit a starter home on. Those can be useful for small retail lots or parks though.
    image.png
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    You know what would make a really really awesome Game Pack?

An empty worlds game pack.... 3 or 4 different types of worlds (different environments) that are full of empty lots (like Newcrest). This way, for those of us who do have the computing power, we would get the option to buy said empty worlds and fill them to our hearts' content. And those who don't have the computing power could choose to not buy them.

Or better yet....

How about a World Kit? One kit, one empty world. A new empty world for $5? Yes please! Each empty world kit could feature a different type of environment and eco system (tropical, desert, city/urban, magical/spooky, alien, etc). And since kits usually release in pairs, how about releasing an 'empty world kit' right next to a 'stuff kit' (CAS or BB) that matches/represents the theme of the new world? Giving players the option of buying a new world and also buying the corresponding cas/bb stuff kit.

And thus, everyone's happy?

I totally agree with this. I am personally tired of the small worlds because with every new expansion I get I have to go for a huge compromise. I have no space for the community lots or my townies. In Tartosa for example I have two huge families with a couple of generations because of lack of space. In a couple of recent worlds I removed the premade but this is something what I don’t like to do.

On PS4 I had no difference in the loadingscreen between Magnolia Promenade and Windenburg. On PS5 all loadings are super fast and I can not accept the fact of shrinking worlds.
  • Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 189 Member
    You know what would make a really really awesome Game Pack?

An empty worlds game pack.... 3 or 4 different types of worlds (different environments) that are full of empty lots (like Newcrest). This way, for those of us who do have the computing power, we would get the option to buy said empty worlds and fill them to our hearts' content. And those who don't have the computing power could choose to not buy them.

Or better yet....

How about a World Kit? One kit, one empty world. A new empty world for $5? Yes please! Each empty world kit could feature a different type of environment and eco system (tropical, desert, city/urban, magical/spooky, alien, etc). And since kits usually release in pairs, how about releasing an 'empty world kit' right next to a 'stuff kit' (CAS or BB) that matches/represents the theme of the new world? Giving players the option of buying a new world and also buying the corresponding cas/bb stuff kit.

And thus, everyone's happy?

When they can't balance among premades, business lots and empty lots, it's a good choice. Then we can use more stylish kits to create a new world.
    I insist a resident neighbourhood needs 5 lots, two or three of which are adjacent.
    Apartments not only relieve loading stress but offer more opportunities for those who are bad at architecture design but love interior design. I am confused that they turned a blind eye to the cries for the apartment from players.
    I don't know when they feel a world is a standard for EPs. There is only one high school all over the world in Copperdale, which makes me feel contradictory. High school fits in San sequoia rather than in Copperdale.
  • Options
    @ChadSims2 I try not to include all lot types in all worlds. My home base is Willow Creek but it takes my sims the same amount of time to travel to a lot in a different world. I do understand that might be a problem for those simmers who think it breaks the continuity of the game to travel to another world for a specific venue.

It's something to get used to though as it sounds like the larger worlds are a thing of the past and future worlds will have a smaller number of lots.

I do pretty much the same thing out of necessity. My sims hop from world to world because the newer worlds have so few lots. But I find weather can break the immersion. When my sim leaves a sunny home lot to get a drink in a pub in another world, they can end up in a thunderstorm without warning. This has happened to my sims. Or their house is covered in snow and the gym is not. It makes it hard to believe these lots are close enough to visit for a few hours.

I like to stay in the same neighbourhood for longer periods of time but with only 4 lots per neighbourhood I have to choose carefully what to place on those lots and most importantly what not.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    I want to mention that we have 42 empty lots in total with the all of the expansions and 15 of them are in Newcrest only and 6 are in Willow Creek and Oasis springs together. It means that from the expasnsions we have ONLY 21 empty lots and ~25 available lot types.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,056 Member
    On top of that, we're getting lots that are editable, but we can't change their function - thus giving us even less freedom. I'm talking about the school and auditorium, the three community spaces in Evergreen Harbor, and the onsen, off the top of my head.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 764 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    On top of that, we're getting lots that are editable, but we can't change their function - thus giving us even less freedom. I'm talking about the school and auditorium, the three community spaces in Evergreen Harbor, and the onsen, off the top of my head.

I don’t think that the community spaces in Evergreen Harbor have to be there. I think you can put any lot there.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2023

I do pretty much the same thing out of necessity. My sims hop from world to world because the newer worlds have so few lots. But I find weather can break the immersion. When my sim leaves a sunny home lot to get a drink in a pub in another world, they can end up in a thunderstorm without warning. This has happened to my sims. Or their house is covered in snow and the gym is not. It makes it hard to believe these lots are close enough to visit for a few hours.

I like to stay in the same neighbourhood for longer periods of time but with only 4 lots per neighbourhood I have to choose carefully what to place on those lots and most importantly what not.

Eh, I live in the UK. You can have all 4 seasons in one day and the weather can change from one minute to the next.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2023

You can change Community Spaces to anything you want and can also place them wherever you want.

Fixed type lots are as follows:
    • Apartments built into shells (CL/EL)
    • Active workplaces/school (GTW/GF/HSY)
    • Secret Lots (BG/GTW, require gameplay to access)
    • Hermit's Cabin (OR, required for gameplay)
    • Chalet Gardens, Bluffs, Ruins (GT, historical/lore significance)
    • Omniscan Temple (JA, required for gameplay)
    • Midtown Meadows/Center Park (CL, I don't see the point of this one being locked as lore is in open street areas)
    • Magic HQ (RoM, required for gameplay)
    • Onsen, Mid Mountain 1 & 2 (SE, required for excursion gameplay)
    • The [REDACTED] Lab (required for SV gameplay/lore)

Everything else can be changed as desired.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,539 Member

I usually add a restaurant with a bar in my worlds, but not always. I add other lots depending on whatever interests my sims living there have, for some it makes sense to have a community venue, for others it doesn't. Where possible, I combine different lot types into one. A restaurant with a bar can function as a bar too, same for a spa with a gym, you can design them on different levels or as separate buildings on the same lot. I even combined a thrift store with a community space and market to create a winter market and a wedding venue with a lounge and community space and can be used as either venue with no issues. Where I have some unused space, I try to add office space type rooms where sims can use skill objects and make some money or meeting points for clubs, or simply hotel rooms or empty apartments they can use to rest. With a bit of creativity a lot of lot types can be combined into one and they function just fine. Some lots don't make sense in certain neighbourhoods or to have several of them, like my experimental food restaurant which is located in San Myshuno, so when some sim wants to eat experimental dishes they need to treat it like a big night out and travel to the city.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I like to play rotationally starting with a family at up to 4 neighboring families that I make. The small size of the town makes it difficult to grow your family and allow them to live in the same town with their family and friends. I am trying a new game where I plan to move each family to different towns as they grow, to see if that will work out. I would love to have towns (or worlds) with enough room for growing families to spread out in the same town, but also be able to have at least 1 restaurant, a store, a pizza place, etc. as well, which I have to use Newcrest for as there is not enough room in the small towns we have. It doesn't allow for a true community feeling. It is definitely one of my disappointments with Sims 4 since I first started playing. I do enjoy the gameplay as there is plenty of things for my families to do as I own most of the packs, so I can live with it, but still disappointing. I think the reason why high school is only allowed in the one lot is because there isn't room for it to be in every town. I wish they would make a multiple use lot so we can combine different types such a restaurant, retail, etc. all on one lot. It would add a lot to each town without needing several separate lots. I love your ideas @AncientMuse for using kits for a world pack, or even a stuff or gameplay pack to include items specific to each world. I would love it and definitely buy it!
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    It's true that some of the worlds from past EPs and GPs have been disappointing as far as size and unusable buildings go. I have my favorites, as everyone does, but that doesn't mean I don't find a way to use most of them. Now that we can set up rentals in all the worlds, I use my least favorite worlds I seldom use as residential worlds as destination spots for my Sims to visit. This is especially handy whenever I play a treasure hunter Sim or a fisherman. After seeing those screenshots of San Sequoia showing off some of the views from the neighborhoods, I think this world will go on my favorites list fairly quickly.

I generally don't base my decision about purchasing new EPs on the size of the world. I look at what the new features will add to my playing style and if those features have cross-pack playability first. But I am wondering about the sizes of the lots. Naturally, not every family will live on a lot big enough for the new treehouse. On the other hand, having one family with a treehouse in the neighborhood will make it easier for kids to have friends over to play with because not everyone will have one.

But the size of the world affects when I buy new EPs. If the world is a wreck with very few lots and filled with fake buildings, I wait to buy it when it goes on sale.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited February 2023
    EmmaVane wrote: »

You can change Community Spaces to anything you want and can also place them wherever you want.

• Midtown Meadows/Center Park (CL, I don't see the point of this one being locked as lore is in open street areas)

I think Windenburg is biggest offender tbh
    as much as I love von haunt estate it breaks my heart it can't be haunted home, residential or even like restaurant if we wish so

also bluffs still kind of upset me by not being possible to set residential since its the ultimate vibe but i suppose it would be rather odd having party on your yard out of nowhere :lol: fine you win I'll just treat it a club house instead

also its upsetting we can't edit strangerville lab or even just add some items

i get its to avoid bugs but like its so empty and my scientists would love it there
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I'm a bit disappointed in how small the world is. I would have loved to have at least 15 lots in the world. On the other hand, I usually put my worlds in groups that define how close they are. If the worlds are in the same group they are within a few minutes of each other. If the world I want to travel to is in another group, they have to spend at least one night in a rental lot.

Example:

Group 1:
    San Myshuno
    Willow Creek
    Newcrest
    Magnolia

Group 2:
    Del Sol Valley
    Oasis Springs
    Strangerville

Group 3:
    Windenburg
    Britechester
    Henford-On-Bagley

(I have eight groups and three worlds are in a group by themselves)

I will probably put San Sequoia in Group 1 just because it looks similar to those worlds and the weather is probably close to those as well.

Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Thanks for summarising them. I think the following are also not editable :
    • high school and auditorium from high school years
    • 3 lots on batuu
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,176 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »

More 30x20 lots would be greatly appreciated. That is the perfect size for a residential lot.

My legacy families beg to differ - I usually feel like they don't have enough space to have both a big enough house and a usable yard on a lot smaller than 40x30 or 50x40. Now 64x64 is definitely oversized.
    But I also agree that I'd like to see more 30x20 or larger lots, not little 20x15s you can barely fit a starter home on. Those can be useful for small retail lots or parks though.

There are certainly simmers in your position who prefer the bigger lots. I used to be one of them but I'm finding that as I become a builder I love the 30x20. I have uses for the 40x30 and bigger lots. My next project is to create separate and unique movie studio sound stages for each of my SimLit stories. The 50x50 and 64x64 lots are perfect for that, and a lot of my community lots use the 40x30s.

I really hope that Growing Together will have a nice mix of lot sizes and not focus so much on the tiny lots. Those are nice too, but I agree with you totally that HSY went overboard with them.