Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**GENETICS** HELP PLEASE

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    HugaloafHugaloaf Posts: 135 New Member
    edited June 2009
    From what I've heard the genetic system is nothing like RL anymore, because it'd be near impossible to code for with the almost limitless color selections on the wheel. It wouldn't be possible for them to put the thousands of possibilities in order from dominant --> recessive. So the kids get the hair color of one of their parents or grandparents (with there being a higher chance of getting a parent's hair color than a grandparent's). I have also heard there is a 10% chance of a "mutation" (A random color) which is slightly annoying because while mutations exist in RL I doubt the percentage is that high.
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited June 2009
    in my new legacy the eldest son, looks are interesting. for instance he has his fathers eyes and build, yet his mothers hair, and some facial features of hers as well. so i am seeing a blend, and genetics as well. I think it all depends.. now a blueparent, normal parent, you gonna get either blue or normal, not a cross between any two colors other than possible with normal colors of skin tones.
  • Options
    shmue441shmue441 Posts: 86 New Member
    edited June 2009
    the reason for the lack of dominant/recessive traits is the custom hair coloring. There is no real defined blond/brown/black/red hair. You may see the color as blond, but the game only sees it as a color. In the Sims 2 you just chose from four options, and that is how the game decided.

EDIT: someone beat me too it.
  • Options
    SimWitchSimWitch Posts: 23 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Ya shmue441 that's exactly what I was thinking too! With the ability to pick literally endless possibilities for hair and eye colour it makes sense that the game has to assign those from one or the other.

I had one family where the second boy took strongly after his father. What was interesting though is you could clearly see he and his half brother were related, but they have different fathers, so even though it was subtle the mother's genes must've definitely had an influence there.

I'm quite happy the way the genetics system is with this game. For example, in RL I could quite easily be a clone of my mother we are so alike, whereas my sister looks more like our father. Considering also that I for one frequently colour my hair, the colour my simmies are born with doesn't bother me too much either!
  • Options
    sadessades Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Anyone who thinks real life genetics is a blending of both traits NEEDS TO GO BACK TO BIOLOGY CLASS.

One tall plant and one short plant will NOT produce a medium length plant unless there is a gene for medium length plants in the ancestry of the parent plants.

A newly made sim has no other sims in their background, so whatever genes you give them are the only genes they have. As generations go along, there is more recessive genes that will show due to a mixing of many different genes that may have shone due to another gene type.
  • Options
    MutchkaMutchka Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Ok, a lot of people beat me to it since I was working on compiling this image of my legacy family tree as a showcase of TS3 genetics. It's just not a practical (or doable, even) act, to assign a dominant/recessive tag for each color value of hair. I also agree that the high rate of mutations in eye or hair color is extremely unrealistic, as well as a little annoying because genetics is probably 70% of why I like this game. I'm just fascinated about every detail of the study.

Anyway, here's the example I mentioned: here. The only sim that had a blend of the parents' skin tones are my starter (The first two sims were CAS only that I deleted after making her.) Afterwards, I assume none of the sims' partners had the same skin palettes as them, so no further blending occurred. The lighting differences of the pictures make it difficult to see. This is just a crude mock-up of what I'll make for when the challenge is over :/ Three of the kids born in-game had eye colors not seen anywhere else in their families and the eyes and nose of my starter have been relatively unchanged into the 3rd generation, but the latter is a pretty natural occurrence in real life as well.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    MutchkaMutchka Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    sades wrote:
    Anyone who thinks real life genetics is a blending of both traits NEEDS TO GO BACK TO BIOLOGY CLASS.

One tall plant and one short plant will NOT produce a medium length plant unless there is a gene for medium length plants in the ancestry of the parent plants.

A newly made sim has no other sims in their background, so whatever genes you give them are the only genes they have. As generations go along, there is more recessive genes that will show due to a mixing of many different genes that may have shone due to another gene type.

Very true, though there are some traits that are more on a spectrum than of a this-or-that occurrence, such as skin pigmentation, if I'm correct. I assume that's why that that is the only trait that blends. I'm glad they kept that in :3
  • Options
    transcendentaltreetranscendentaltree Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited June 2009
    sades wrote:

Actually, that depends. Some traits show incomplete dominance, and others have multiple genes controlling them. For example, there are four to six genes that determine skin color, and they exhibit incomplete dominance. Meaning that you can inherit different genotypes for each of those genes, causing a blending if you inherent some from each parent.
  • Options
    GoddessNoireGoddessNoire Posts: 769 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I know that in TS2 I do believe there was a recessive and dominant trait. For instance just like in real life...brown eyes dominanates over light eyes, (most cases) however if two parents have the trait for blue eyes in the family the third generations can end up with those traits. Now in TS2 skin color was more complicated. I had a sim that had dark skin and the other had light skin and the babies came out either like the father (very light) or like the mom (very dark) and sometimes in between. Now what happened in TS2 is for example if you had a dark skin sim and and a light skin sim as parents. The children could inherit every color scheme between dark and light (I think in TS2 there were only like what four of five colors). Now basically red hair and brown hair were a toss upbecause like in real life those genetic mixes are more complicated than recessive and dominant. Now I don't know what TS3 is doing with the genetics but I assume that it's basically whatever the parent has and they really don't take stock over dominant and recessive anymore. As you can see below, one of my sims has lighter skin and light eyes the other has dark skin and dark eyes and this is my starter family. The child should have dark eyes, but he has light blue eyes and light skin.

3663329255_11382a96b2.jpg?v=0

3663329183_4024821fae.jpg?v=0

3663345379_b72f71ec81.jpg?v=0
  • Options
    YamijessmakoYamijessmako Posts: 45 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I feel a little dumb this question, still...
    how do I change the skin colour? I mean, how do I get green or red or purple or orange skin colour?
    Can you explain me?
  • Options
    burningexampleburningexample Posts: 514
    edited March 2011
    The child should have dark eyes, but he has light blue eyes and light skin.
    That's not entirely true, my father's parents both have dark eyes, his dad's parents had dark eyes this grandfather however had blue eyes and my dad's maternal grandfather had blue eyes. My dad should have brown eyes by your logic, but he doesn't he has bright blue eyes. My mom and her sisters are all mixed race( Native American and white, like super white ginger actually) they all have brown hair and dark eyes, my cousin married an Italian guy and they have a ginger daughter, sometimes recessive genes win out.
    Hugaloaf wrote:
    I have also heard there is a 10% chance of a "mutation" (A random color) which is slightly annoying because while mutations exist in RL I doubt the percentage is that high.
    It is pretty high, considering most mutations are mundane and unnoticeable, unless you mean biggish ones like a new hair color, then yeah, that rate isn't that high. I dunno the exact figure off the top of my head but you also hafta remember that mutations can occur even after birth because our cells are constantly reproducing and can change during any "birth"

Also, I make a punnet square for hair and eye color every time my sims decide to make a baby, it has never failed me
  • Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited March 2011
    How on earth do you people find these posts from 2 years ago? :shock:
  • Options
    cherry022806cherry022806 Posts: 3,255 Member
    edited March 2011
    edited decided not to post since everyone else covered what I said.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited March 2011
    Zeri wrote:
    as far as ive experienced, the male children take after the male parent and vice versa.. altho, i did get a strange blond child when no parent had blond hair... so thats perplexing..
    I have had that happen to where the parents didn't have blond hair and they got a blond haired little boy. :shock:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    IndigoXXIndigoXX Posts: 47 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I don't think their is a genetic mixture of eye color in the game, but there is definitely a hereditary mixture of skin color. My simself just had a daughter with her bf and the child is darker than both of the parents.