The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-Game Pulsating Popup Packs Ad: Community Reacts

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited May 5
    What's happening now?

2i1ehHm.png
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 481 Member
    Seems they just want to keep making it worse.
    At this point they might as well put ads in there for the upcoming sims competitor games if they insist on driving their player base away.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,530 Member
    What's happening now?

2i1ehHm.png

Wow. This is a new level of abhorrent greed. I hope EA knows that no matter what "feel-good" marketing they try to do at this point is going to be laughable. The unapologetic blatant disregard of player privacy and personal space makes me not want to buy anything from them again. It's like they're reaching their grubby hands into our pockets now. It's a digital violation of consent and respect.

So, so gross.

I'm going to go catch up on Inzoi and Life By You videos. I got the email and joined the discord for the Life By You early access so I think it's time to take a closer look. They're both going to fully support modding so I'm not too worried about having content that I want. Plus, I know that LBY have been extremely receptive to player suggestions. And I can play what I've already got in Sims 4 because it's a lot of content. Much as I want to support the devs, they're probably going to be laid off for AI anyway because EA is exactly that kind of company and I am so fed up with capitalism running rampant. These companies need to check themselves.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,758 Member
    edited May 5
    What's happening now?
    2i1ehHm.png

The shopping cart will show messages like that and "recommend" packs to you. There is currently a publisher sale so that cart will probably recommend anything that you don't own every time you play the game.

How this is supposed to increase sales and not cause the opposite I don't know. To me it does the opposite, it makes The Sims 4 look like one of those mobile games that try to sell you stuff while you are playing. And yes, I agree, it's disrespectful, especially since a lot of us have already bought the full game and spent a lot of money on packs for the game.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,516 Member
    rhalius wrote: »
    At this point they might as well put ads in there for the upcoming sims competitor games if they insist on driving their player base away.

Let's give 'em a hand shall we?

Preorder.jpg
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,056 Member
    Posted less than 2 months ago
    Gordy wrote: »
    Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if sales matter at all. Like it probably takes next to no effort to maintain that button, and unless it's provably hurting sales (which would be hard to prove anyway), there's no harm for them if they keep it. The real goal might be to leave it in and normalize it to players, so they can slowly test the waters for more ads in the future.

Less than a month ago
    We're just frogs in a pot of boiling water, and they're going to turn up the heat.

If the pop-up issue really is getting worse, I can't say I'm surprised.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,589 Member
    Thank you, EA, for making it so easy for me to skip the ongoing sale. At this point, it feels like they just lost it entirely.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    ImSandsImSands Posts: 335 Member
    I was actually gonna pick up Crystal Creations in this sale but now its a hard no. :(
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,523 Member
    logion wrote: »
    What's happening now?
    2i1ehHm.png

The shopping cart will show messages like that and "recommend" packs to you. There is currently a publisher sale so that cart will probably recommend anything that you don't own every time you play the game.

How this is supposed to increase sales and not cause the opposite I don't know. To me it does the opposite, it makes The Sims 4 look like one of those mobile games that try to sell you stuff while you are playing. And yes, I agree, it's disrespectful, especially since a lot of us have already bought the full game and spent a lot of money on packs for the game.

So true. There usually is a reason for people not owning a DLC. Whether it is not interested in a DLC or no funds to buy a DLC, that pop up won't change the reason. It would only work for simmers who are not aware of a specific DLC and that's hard to imagine with the start menu being one gigantic add.

Like @83bienchen I feel this cart makes it easier to resist buying DLC, kits especially.
  • Options
    PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 76 Member
    Ha, all EA has now achieved - I get that mod that makes this cart disappear. So EA go figure out for yourself what this cart gets you. I‘ll make it a little easier on you - it will not be my money.
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 485 Member
    If it were a year ago, I probably would have bought something during this sale. But after the bug-riddled For Rent release (which I thankfully did not buy even though I wanted to beforehand), disastrous CCSP patch and shopping cart fiasco, I'm not even considering it. They'll have to earn back my business, and if they don't, that's fine too. I'm enjoying adding new mods and some cc to my game instead.

For example, I found some super cute cc toys for my sim's toddlers... even a rocking horse! I also downloaded some arcade cc so that I can finally build my sims a proper arcade. And I got a pool table to put in my bars! There are so many awesome cc creations out there for things that are missing from the official game. My only problem now is resisting the urge to go completely overboard with the mods and cc!
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,530 Member
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    If it were a year ago, I probably would have bought something during this sale. But after the bug-riddled For Rent release (which I thankfully did not buy even though I wanted to beforehand), disastrous CCSP patch and shopping cart fiasco, I'm not even considering it. They'll have to earn back my business, and if they don't, that's fine too. I'm enjoying adding new mods and some cc to my game instead.

For example, I found some super cute cc toys for my sim's toddlers... even a rocking horse! I also downloaded some arcade cc so that I can finally build my sims a proper arcade. And I got a pool table to put in my bars! There are so many awesome cc creations out there for things that are missing from the official game. My only problem now is resisting the urge to go completely overboard with the mods and cc!

You are so right, there's a ton of amazing mods and CC out there for sure! I've been keeping any mods to a bare minimum for the last year or so but recently have started adding a couple of new ones and saving others in a folder in case I decide I need them. I have a ton of old CC from some years ago, sitting in another folder, that probably needs updating, but I'm due to get a new PC so I think I'm going to go through it after I have a new setup so my system has more beef to handle it. I really miss having all of my various Victorian outfits and unique CAS stuff and funky hairs. I'm bored with the constant trendy clothing and same 'ol hair styles. My Sims need more unique identity and distinction.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    wildflower42wildflower42 Posts: 44 Member
    I don't understand why there isn't an option to not be recommended packs in any capacity. Would allow people who want to see it to keep seeing them, while those who do not won't be pestered.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    5char
    j1poN21.png
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    I noticed that the moment they added it. It sticks out from everything else, just watch these outlines, the bolder white and the sharper contrast and darker shadows that leave the other buttons like some faded afterthoughts. I would have uninstalled my game if it weren't for the mod that gets rid of it. Since that thing has been added I honestly only frequent the forums to not feel all alone with my ongoing frustration about this cart. I don't even call it shopping fart anymore, cause a fart is something that at least doesn't last long.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,516 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I don't even call it shopping fart anymore, cause a fart is something that at least doesn't last long.

Clearly you’ve never heard of “Forever Farts”. 😅
  • Options
    edited May 9
    I don't even call it shopping fart anymore, cause a fart is something that at least doesn't last long.

Now I don't know whether to cry or laugh.
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,734 Member

Now I don't know whether to cry or laugh.

Just remember the central lesson MASH... laugh. It makes life's bad things bearable. :)

Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 715 Member
    rhalius wrote: »

Let's give 'em a hand shall we?

Preorder.jpg

I love this!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,325 Member
    edited May 12
    I just updated my game...no fart cart. Lucky me..but still..what's the point. The game told me that I have everything I need?!...

Edit: how is this configured? On a percentage of DLC..? Or..maybe the cart is for those that got the game for Free. I have paid for all the sim dlc since sim 1. Everything else was on sale or for free.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,056 Member
    Oh
    If the pop-up issue really is getting worse, I can't say I'm surprised.
    Started playing again for the first time in months. Can confirm, the pop-ups are real and they keep happening while I play. Also, I keep accidentally clicking it instead of other buttons, which doesn't help because it's one of the biggest buttons on the screen.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    MiataPlay wrote: »
    Edit: how is this configured? On a percentage of DLC..? Or..maybe the cart is for those that got the game for Free. I have paid for all the sim dlc since sim 1. Everything else was on sale or for free.

The cart is definitely not only for those who got the game for free. I bought it along with nearly all EP and GP and got the cart as well.
  • Options
    Looks like the shopping cart might have been nothing but the first step... :(
    A CEO at maxis, Wilson, wants to put ads inside of EA games.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wTRhtX0ERs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8RFSqYK-c
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,758 Member
    edited May 13
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Looks like the shopping cart might have been nothing but the first step... :(
    A CEO at maxis, Wilson, wants to put ads inside of EA games.

I have heard about that too. I think companies should never put advertisements for something that their customers have paid/are paying for. The money that the customer have spent should cover the cost involved for the product, otherwise you are just trying to squeeze more money out of the product at the cost of the customer who have to deal with the ads.

Media and entertainment like games should be just that, entertainment. Not an advertisement service, EA have many other options if they want to advertise and earn money. If they want to have more money coming in then invest in normal marketing and increase your stock on the stock market by investing and earning money through normal business like everyone else.

Ads in video games will just turn people away and might give the company a slight boost in advertising revenue, but it's definitely not worth it for the backlash that they will get from people.

I have no doubt that this is just something that the people responsible for marketing and accounting want because this is an easy way to increase profit without putting in the effort or investing in anything.

Don't listen to them, listen to your customers.

And if you want to advertise your own games in the sims then that's an even bigger waste than this shopping cart because the customers are fully aware of your games if they are already playing them, just as people playing the sims already know about all the packs without a shopping cart reminding them, they see all the packs in the starting menu and they also see them in your shop in the EA App.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 481 Member
    I really don't get it, the sims has plenty of opportunities to advertise other EA games in non invasive ways.

Like letting our Sims play more EA games instead of just the lame sport and race games. Let them play Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Star Wars games, etc. And with those games clearly existing for them, T-Shirts, posters and other such things would blend in perfectly.
    Geek sims should be able to geek out about stuff too, it's ridiculous that trait has ZERO interaction with Journey to Batuu.

They could release like, a Mass Effect stuff pack or something to advertise those games. Could give some Mass Effect looking tech and outfits, maybe an omni tool that could replace the phone if a Sim has it.
    Or a Dragon Age kit that just adds some shirts, posters, figurines, swords to hang on the wall, adding the Dragon Age game to options of games to play for Sims.. that kind of stuff.

They have all the tools at their disposal, but seem clueless about how to put it to use.