Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Random Question: Has anyone made/used University Housing in worlds other than Britechester?

Today’s random musings. I know high school doesn’t work in worlds other than Copperdale. I’m wondering if University Housing (as both a lot type and for actual gameplay) works in worlds outside Britechester?

I’m currently completely rebuilding Oasis Springs and so far the commercial/tourist sort of neighbourhood down the bottom of the map has been replaced with a library/cafe (uni student hang out and study spot) a recreation centre, a diner (restaurant) and a cafe (also a uni student hang out)

Comments

• Options
    Rasia SilverRasia Silver Posts: 101 Member
    Yes, they work in other worlds. I use New Crest as a college town.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,442 Member
    edited March 25
    I placed a university dorm in San Mychuno on a penthouse lot. It worked perfectly. When sim go to class, they dissappear in a rabbit hole which in my humble opinion is even more practical than always guessing which building is the right one for class.
    The other students appear at the dorm just the same as always.
    I did add the cafeteria object from the pack so my sims could order food in the dorm. I also added one of those special computers for the research and debate skill so my sims didn't have to travel to another world to build that skill.
    Some things like 'decorating' the statues or attending a soccer game will require some effort because you have to go to the university neighbourhood to do those things.

Of course students can also just live at home. Then studying feels more like a rabbit hole high school. It can be great if you want students from both universities to share housing or for students who have children or pets they don't want to leave behind.

I read like how versatile this pack is when it comes housing students. Any normal lot in any residential world works.
    Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    Interesting. I hadn’t even thought of trying this! I’m kind of tempted to put some uni dorms in Windenberg now
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,641 Member
    @Atraya33 I generally add kitchen counters in Wyvern Hall. I place a mini-fridge next to them and put a microwave unit atop the fridge. Coffeemaker, sometimes tea as well, and upon occasion if the mood strikes me, I place a popcorn machine. This way they have options. Kids snack a lot. Also, the fridge allows someone to place the leftover plates of food people bring in, to chill and not just spoil right away.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 727 Member
    Sims 3 made some creative community colleges. Can we do the same in Sims 4?
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,925 Member
    @Katofhyrule12 You definitely could. Since a community college isn't residential and students live in their own homes, your college campus wouldn't need to bother with housing. Maybe set it as a university commons, or library or cafe with the university student hangout lot trait?
  • Options
    @Katofhyrule12 You definitely could. Since a community college isn't residential and students live in their own homes, your college campus wouldn't need to bother with housing. Maybe set it as a university commons, or library or cafe with the university student hangout lot trait?

I had never thought to cross this idea over from Sims 3. There is a community college for Lucky Palms that I would download all the time. I guess it is equivalent to a university commons. There are classrooms but they are not fully functional.

Have we missed an opportunity to do something really interesting? Without any mods for those of us that play console, but maybe also even more so for people that can use mods.

I don't know if Ravasheen is still updating her college mods. https://ravasheen.com/downloads/

We can add the cafeteria to a university commons? It will function the same way as the default commons in Britechester? I can't use mods right now, but there are these mods for people that can use them.

https://icemunmun.in/2019/12/15/university-cafeteria-custom-food-additions/

https://www.patreon.com/posts/54454504

I am not the builder that some people here are. I would love to see some sort of challenge to build some community colleges for the different worlds. Maybe teens that graduate early could use them somehow?
  • Options
    The gallery has quite a few community colleges! Has anyone used any of them? I would prefer one with a functioning cafeteria if that is possible. I see that some of them are different lot types. Which lot types support which food options that would work for a community college?
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,925 Member
    @Katofhyrule12 University commons lot type definitely does spawn cafeteria workers for the cafeteria object.
    The food is a different menu every day (choice of 3 dishes) and enrolled university students eat for free. Other people can still order food but it costs simoleons.
  • Options
    @Katofhyrule12 University commons lot type definitely does spawn cafeteria workers for the cafeteria object.
    The food is a different menu every day (choice of 3 dishes) and enrolled university students eat for free. Other people can still order food but it costs simoleons.

Thanks! When I had a windows computer and played with mods, I used to play some child-alone scenarios. The child always ate dinner at the college. Somewhere I have a list of which meals are served each day of the week. The college cafeterias offer holiday meals to all sims, which is a great help for rags to riches scenarios. I want to expand my use of the cafeterias to other worlds, but did not know that is possible without mods. When I had mods I used the Simsco Instant Lunchroom, but now that I am playing on console, I am trying to learn as many vanilla game tricks as possible.

I am excited to try placing University Commons in different worlds.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,409 Member
    I have university housing + university commons both in Windenburg & Mt.Komorebi. In my play I use them for sims to have an exchange year. It works beautifully :)