Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Potential rereleases of legacy Sims games?

EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,944 Member
Hi all!

I just discovered that SimCity 3000 has been re-released on Steam and EA App. Had to get it because, well, it has been so many years it wasn't digitally available. Yep, the release is March the 7th.

I feel like such an old game being re-released now (it was originally released on 1999 after all), I feel like situation with The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 is getting more hopeful. Sure, The Sims is still going strong unlike SimCity, but still, wouldn't it be awesome?

I'm trying to keep up with the news, but keep an eye on things too. Let's collect any news about EA legacy games re-releasing. After all, these include:
  • The Sims: Complete Collection
  • The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection
  • The Sims Life Stories
  • The Sims Pet Stories
  • The Sims Castaway Stories
I'll put any news in the timeline below.

Timeline:
January 8 2024
TwitterX user jackofallgames ([at]jackofallgames7) reports that he got sent a job application to Maxis to a software engineer position for legacy Maxis titles.
March 7 2024
9 games (one being a bundle of 17 games) get re-released on Steam and EA Store.
List of re-released games:
  • Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection
    This includes the following:
    • Command & Conquer
    • Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert: Counterstrike
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert: The Aftermath
    • Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
    • Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun Firestorm
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
    • Command & Conquer: Renegade
    • Command & Conquer: Generals
    • Command & Conquer: Generals: Zero Hour
    • Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
    • Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars: Kane's Wrath
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3: Uprising
    • Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight
  • The Saboteur
  • Populous
  • Populous: The Beginning
  • Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods
  • Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
  • SimCity 3000 Unlimited
  • Dungeon Keeper Gold
  • Dungeon Keeper 2
https://youtu.be/FfbHeEcI21g?feature=shared
Post edited by EgonVM on

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,425 Member
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 9
    I expect Sims 1 Complete Collection for the 25th Anniversary. Let's keep this thread updated with more news.

Perhaps you can update the title to something more descriptive such as "Potential rereleases of legacy Sims games?"
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    edited March 9
    I expect Sims 1 Complete Collection for the 25th Anniversary. Let's keep this thread updated with more news.

Perhaps you can update the title to something more descriptive such as "Potential rereleases of legacy Sims games?"

Ok. Let's do that!

The title is updated.

Looking at the date of that TwitterX post, it was posted this year January the 8th.

This also isn't the only old EA game released that day. Here's the list of old EA games re-released on March the 7th:
    • Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection
      This includes the following:
      • Command & Conquer
      • Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations
      • Command & Conquer: Red Alert
      • Command & Conquer: Red Alert: Counterstrike
      • Command & Conquer: Red Alert: The Aftermath
      • Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
      • Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun Firestorm
      • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
      • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
      • Command & Conquer: Renegade
      • Command & Conquer: Generals
      • Command & Conquer: Generals: Zero Hour
      • Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
      • Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars: Kane's Wrath
      • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
      • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3: Uprising
      • Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight
    • The Saboteur
    • Populous
    • Populous: The Beginning
    • Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods
    • Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    • SimCity 3000 Unlimited
    • Dungeon Keeper Gold
    • Dungeon Keeper 2

The recently re-released classic games are included in here on Steam.

It also includes a trailer announcing the 9 re-releases:
    https://youtu.be/FfbHeEcI21g?feature=shared

I think I'll do the the timeline in the original post.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,466 Member
    Hmmm. I never played Sim City, but used to watch my ex play it. Maybe I'll try it out when I have some extra time. Would definitely love if the early games were updated to work on modern tech. I never got to play the first Sims game either, so I would most certainly buy it if it became available.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    Omg, if they re-release Sims2 I'm all in!
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,218 Member
    Me praying sims 2 is release with all expansion packs and 1 with all packs.^^
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Omg, if they re-release Sims2 I'm all in!

Same here. I have UC, which works well, but it is a work around that needed a lot of tweaking to get to run properly. Good thing for all the helpful souls over at the TS2 side! An optimized for new machines version would be wonderful.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,444 Member
    I think rereleasing old titles would be great. Those old games may look dated but can be a lot of fun. I would love to give sims 1 a try just to see the intro and the differences with more recent versions.

I am especially intrigued by the rerelease of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Get famous has one gig for a film called The Sheriff from Alpha Centauri. I never realised this was a reference to an old game.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 516 Member
    I hope they re-release TS2 for Windows users. Mac users can still get TS2 and all the packs that were ever released for Mac (so not everything, sadly) on the Mac App Store, and it runs very smoothly for me. Just hearing the different bits of music (theme tunes, loading screens, etc.) is so nostalgic. I love dipping back into TS2. It's such a good game, and it would be great if more simmers could (re)discover it.

And the complete TS1 for all players would be very welcome! I wish they could release it so it was suitable for tablet. It would be great to have a game where I wasn't limited to my desktop. But I guess that's just wishful thinking.
  • Options
    pacer1965pacer1965 Posts: 79 Member
    Please re-release the sims 2
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member

That would be so lovely! I still have all the original discs of the complete Sims 1, but installing it is a bit of a pain... would love a digital polished version.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,676 Member
    I have the Sims2: The Ultimate Collection, since I was offered it for having made an online purchase way back when . . .That's a good thing as my young grandson got his chubby baby hands on the first disk and it's now unusable. Without that one, I couldn't install the rest of that series, and I've got em' all.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 728 Member
    I'll buy anything released to work on STEAM for Linux. I am done with Windows and Mac. My school gave me a Windows laptop that I use only for school assignments that specifically require Windows. Every time I turn it on to complete an assignment, I recommit to refusing to use that trash on my own personal hardware. Last week, I was in the middle of a lab and Windows 10 tried to force me to update to Windows 11. They locked my screen until I agreed to the update. I had to do an illegal shut down and lost all the work done in my lab. I miss the Sims 3 so much that I had been flirting with the idea of installing Windows 10 on my desktop. NOT after THAT! For better and for worse, I choose Linux.

For now, I play Sims 4 on a PS5. I would prefer to play on a desktop, but only if it is a Linux desktop. I am so busy at school that I do not have time to play anything, but when the semester is over, I might do a deep dive into Stardew Valley which can be played on Linux.

The Sims must be played on an operating system. Windows has changed a LOT since The Sims 1 was released in 2000. The Sims is as much a victim of Microsoft and the other major operating system creators as we are. Poor EA. Poor us. More and more games are being released for Linux on STEAM, but it looks like Sim City 3 was only released for Windows. I figure that predicts what to expect for any further EA games.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 444 Member
    Just saw this thread and rushed to buy Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition on Steam on sale for less than CAD$8!!

Unfortunately, they only have Alpha Centauri for Windows, boo! I really enjoyed that game back in the day, I'd love to play it again.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I have the Sims2: The Ultimate Collection, since I was offered it for having made an online purchase way back when . . .That's a good thing as my young grandson got his chubby baby hands on the first disk and it's now unusable. Without that one, I couldn't install the rest of that series, and I've got em' all.

Major bummer! You have my sympathies. As in physical damage or just horribly grubby that might be cleanable? Fortunately for me there is no one to touch my complete sets of Sims disks but me.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,676 Member

Major bummer! You have my sympathies. As in physical damage or just horribly grubby that might be cleanable? Fortunately for me there is no one to touch my complete sets of Sims disks but me.

I made the mistake of letting my daughter-in-law install it on her computer. Sadly, she isn't the most vigilent person in the room. Who knows how the baby got his chubby hands on it. I just know when I asked for the disk back, she told me it was ruined. I never saw it after that.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,218 Member
    I wonder what the price will be? I think 20.00 dollars for the complete sims 2 collection.and 15.00 dollars for the sims 1 collection is good.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,981 Member
    edited May 4
    Would be so cool to have ts1 and 2 complete collections on EA App and compatible with new tech

I think I would be far less apprehensive about new sims games if I could have these older games back and always available to play

I have lost most of my discs to time so I don't really have the option to try install those either

and I don't think they want us to go searching for unofficial downloads
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Would be so cool to have ts1 and 2 complete collections on EA App and compatible with new tech

I think I would be far less apprehensive about new sims games if I could have these older games back and always available to play

I have lost most of my discs to time so I don't really have the option to try install those either

and I don't think they want us to go searching for unofficial downloads

Yeah. Plus unofficial downloads always carry risks. Better safe than sorry and try to buy it rather than find a download elsewhere.

I wonder what the price will be? I think 20.00 dollars for the complete sims 2 collection.and 15.00 dollars for the sims 1 collection is good.

Hmm... Good question and good guess.

There is actually The Sims 2 Super Collection still available for purchase for MAC computers only. It excludes last two expansion packs (FreeTime and Apartment Life) and only includes three stuff packs (Happy Holidays, Family Fun, and Glamour Life). There, it is priced at 29.99 dollars.

Will The Sims 2 re-release be priced cheaper due to legacy title thing or expensive as it has more packs than Super Collection? Only the time will tell that (and if it even comes out).