Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Baking Skill Should Be Basegame

KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
edited September 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
'sup.

Heard about the cupcakes being freed in the upcoming patch. Nice.

Y'know what else should be "freed"? Baking.

The patch will also be bringing a filter for cooking, that way we can sort through the myriad-and-one recipes available (and those to come) on the stove/oven.

Y'know what would also help to alleviate the necessary scrolling? Less items on the list.

Y'know what would help with that? Adding baked goods to the Baking skill.

It's almost like you have a bunch of cookbooks, and for the most part they all sort of make sense. Then you have this overfilled recipe book and another book right beside it with not even half of the volume. This is the relationship between Homestyle Cooking and Baking. The fun part about that is that Homestyle Cooking contains almost the same amount of baked goods as Baking, itself.

Without having all of the DLCs (I'm missing all of the Expansions past Snowy Escape, and a few Game Packs) I have 115 cooking items (give or take) when clicking on the stove using the "Cook" option (about to be 123 with the cupcakes). There are currently 36 Baking options (excluding Cupcake Factory Exclusives). I may not be great at math, but my calculator states that 123 is 3+ times the volume of 36... and keep in mind that, once again, I do not have all of the DLCs.

Now let's look at how many baked items are in Homestyle and Gourmet Cooking (I'm including the latter because fancy or not, those items belong to Baking).
Homestyle:
  • Apple Pie
  • Baked Chocolate Mousse (maybe if it was named "Cooked Chocolate Mousse" we wouldn't be having this issue).
  • Blue Confetti Cake
  • Challah
  • Chocolate Cake
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Coconut Cake
  • Ensaymadas
  • Honey Cake
  • Knafeh
  • Matcha Tea Cake
  • Pan De Muerto
  • Pao de Quieijo
  • Spooky Cookies
  • Strawberry Cake
  • Sugar-Free Carob Coconut Cake
  • Tuna Casserole
  • Vegetable Casserole
  • White Cake
  • Winter Cake
  • Zaatar Manakeesh
  • Zombie Cake
That's 22 baked items (30 if you count the upcoming cupcakes).

Gourmet:
  • Almond Macarons
  • Baked Alaska [Insert GTA: San Andreas Meme]
  • Gourmet Fruitcake
  • Simcity Cheesecake
  • Spinach Frittata
  • Tiered Cake
That's 6 baked items.

In total, both of its stove-based siblings have stolen 28 (36) items from Baking. Argue if you like about items such as the Frittata and Casseroles, but the fact still stands that without having all of the DLC-added food items, Baking would be twice its current size were the relevant items relocated to it, which would require the skill to be Basegame so that more dessert and baked items could be added to the neglected skill over time (including the freedom of the Doughnuts, Tarts, Eclairs, Muffins, Scones, Profiteroles, Croissants, Brulees, Biscottis, Macaroons, and Croquettes -- 27 items total).

By the way... "cook cake"? The only time "Cooking" and "Cake" should be together is when someone is cooking something whilst baking a cake... or if you're making one of those Youtube videos which claim you can make cakes without most of the steps grandma would have you believe.

In the meantime: LittleMissSam's 'More Servings Options' "Cakes In Baking Menu" addon (can be used without main mod) and Simularity's 'Bake Everything In Any Oven' can be used together to achieve this.
Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
Post edited by KyreRoen on

Comments

• Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I agree, baking should have been base game. This is where pack refreshes could be used to advantage. If something gets taken from the pack for base game, add something new to it in a refresh.

Also grateful for mods that let me bake cakes instead of cooking them.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member
    I would have no objections to baking being made base game.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Completely agree with this! I am still hoping we will get a Get to Work EP refresh one day, hopefully they can replace the already from paid DLC to base game-swapped Photography skill with some other new skill too, I am thinking of something like the Inventing skill from Sims 3 Ambitions, so that you no longer would need to become an active Scientist in that career in order to make inventions that can only be made in the career, if this makes any sense.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I completely agree, baking should be base game and all the base game cakes should be moved to baking. The baking recipes in get to work could remain exclusive to that DLC. It just doesn't make sense to cook a birthday cake.
    I own get to work and think this pack has enough value left if the baking skill is base game.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I completely agree, baking should be base game and all the base game cakes should be moved to baking. The baking recipes in get to work could remain exclusive to that DLC. It just doesn't make sense to cook a birthday cake.
    I own get to work and think this pack has enough value left if the baking skill is base game.

I completely agree. I still can't understand why it was locked to that DLC.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,434 Member
    edited September 2023
    Would this matter now that they are adding a filter for desserts? Personally, I wish we had just one option, Prepare, instead of the multiple options now. There's Serve meal, Have meal, Cook, Bake, Cook Gourmet, Grand meal, etc. Once the list opens up we could choose from there what we want to prepare and amounts, based on ingredients list and type of food like breakfast, main course, soup, dessert, fish, dairy, etc.
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited September 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Would this matter now that they are adding a filter for desserts?
    Yes it would, as explained. TL;DR: They wouldn't be afraid to add more desserts, and the skill itself would have more options to work with than the static amount added in GTW a decade ago (the latter of the two prospects being the most important).
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    I think we're more than enough years since it was introduced for it to become base game.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Get To Work really suffers from being the first expansion. It actually came with a lot of gameplay for a Sims 4 standard but none of it was done 100% good. Photography was already removed from it, baking should also be base game. If they ever do another refresh I hope GTW is on the list because I would love a better open for business type of gameplay. Police could be reworked and introduce burglars, the hospital could be better too and Aliens deserve more depth.
  • Options
    MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I agree. I have baking as an option for some of my holidays. With most of the baked goods being under cooking skill, I rarely remember to level baking skill. So to satisfy the requirement for the holiday I end up with breadsticks, brownies, or plain sugar cookies. With holiday baking my thought would be pies or season baked goods, not breadsticks.
  • Options
    wildflower42wildflower42 Posts: 39 Member
    Would love to have this being considered. The new UI makes it better to find what you want, but still having almost every recipe under 'Cook' makes the game kinda stall while it's "fetching" the list when you have a lot of recipes from different packs (although I love having options, Cottage Living feels like the worse offender, right alongside of City Living's learned recipes).
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    edited October 2023
    I propose something slighty different than just making baking base game. I propose that sweet recipies within the cooking tab also give the baking skill alongside the cooking one, similar to like say, how the Rock Climbing wall from Fitness stuff pack also allows for Rock Climbing skill to be gained alongside Fitness. I'd rather not have access to cakes and such behind a different skill tree and rather would like to have them be learned concurrently if you go and "cook" them.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 135 Member
    edited October 2023
    Honestly, I feel like singing should’ve been in base game. It ties into so many aspects from other packs, like the acting career in Get Famous for example, and usually they seem to just replace anything that would logically use singing with guitar. Similarity, the base game entertainer career could’ve also just used singing for promotion requirements too.

And if we ever get a pack with bands, logically singing should also be a pretty big component. It just seems to tie into so many other packs and is only vaguely related to City Living.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    There may be a day when like sims 2 sims 4 will be completely free until they stop giving it out but while they aren't done with it yet it does make sense that not everything is moved to base game even if connected to something that has moved. If they choose to fine but when a feature is left where it belongs for a while it's no big deal.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    LonelyCalliLonelyCalli Posts: 9 New Member
    PREACH! It's ridiculous that because the skill isn't base game they have now moved cupcakes OUT of the baking category. That was the feature of the pack. If you have to change the feature of an old pack to accommodate a new pack you clearly need to just make it a universal aka base game feature. OR Home Chef Hustle could've been a part of a pack refresh. It has always annoyed me that cakes are under cooking. THEN we got wedding cakes and they became gourmet? Sort of? Now we have home chef hustle and it has taken the main part of baking and made it worthless.
  • Options
    LonelyCalliLonelyCalli Posts: 9 New Member
    > @Handel said:
    > I propose something slighty different than just making baking base game. I propose that sweet recipies within the cooking tab also give the baking skill alongside the cooking one, similar to like say, how the Rock Climbing wall from Fitness stuff pack also allows for Rock Climbing skill to be gained alongside Fitness. I'd rather not have access to cakes and such behind a different skill tree and rather would like to have them be learned concurrently if you go and "cook" them.

I would say yes except that there are so many things that increase the cooking skill that it really doesn't need anymore recipes added to it.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    34ff0f1ba7a8025471bb6da0f2918aa6.gif

At out of all the things to be added to BG, this makes a lot of sense. I really hope the team considers this idea.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 559 Member
    Was anybody in the history of Sims 4 ever convinced to buy Get to Work because of the baking skill? I'm just wondering.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    pvrescue1pvrescue1 Posts: 73 Member
    Based.

Ridiculous that the baking skill is locked behind a criminally overpriced DLC.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,236 Member
    KyreRoen wrote: »
    'sup.

Heard about the cupcakes being freed in the upcoming patch. Nice.

Y'know what else should be "freed"? Baking.

The patch will also be bringing a filter for cooking, that way we can sort through the myriad-and-one recipes available (and those to come) on the stove/oven.

Y'know what would also help to alleviate the necessary scrolling? Less items on the list.

Y'know what would help with that? Adding baked goods to the Baking skill.

It's almost like you have a bunch of cookbooks, and for the most part they all sort of make sense. Then you have this overfilled recipe book and another book right beside it with not even half of the volume. This is the relationship between Homestyle Cooking and Baking. The fun part about that is that Homestyle Cooking contains almost the same amount of baked goods as Baking, itself.

Without having all of the DLCs (I'm missing all of the Expansions past Snowy Escape, and a few Game Packs) I have 115 cooking items (give or take) when clicking on the stove using the "Cook" option (about to be 123 with the cupcakes). There are currently 36 Baking options (excluding Cupcake Factory Exclusives). I may not be great at math, but my calculator states that 123 is 3+ times the volume of 36... and keep in mind that, once again, I do not have all of the DLCs.

Now let's look at how many baked items are in Homestyle and Gourmet Cooking (I'm including the latter because fancy or not, those items belong to Baking).
    Homestyle:
    • Apple Pie
    • Baked Chocolate Mousse (maybe if it was named "Cooked Chocolate Mousse" we wouldn't be having this issue).
    • Blue Confetti Cake
    • Challah
    • Chocolate Cake
    • Chocolate Chip Cookies
    • Coconut Cake
    • Ensaymadas
    • Honey Cake
    • Knafeh
    • Matcha Tea Cake
    • Pan De Muerto
    • Pao de Quieijo
    • Spooky Cookies
    • Strawberry Cake
    • Sugar-Free Carob Coconut Cake
    • Tuna Casserole
    • Vegetable Casserole
    • White Cake
    • Winter Cake
    • Zaatar Manakeesh
    • Zombie Cake
    That's 22 baked items (30 if you count the upcoming cupcakes).

Gourmet:
    • Almond Macarons
    • Baked Alaska [Insert GTA: San Andreas Meme]
    • Gourmet Fruitcake
    • Simcity Cheesecake
    • Spinach Frittata
    • Tiered Cake
    That's 6 baked items.

In total, both of its stove-based siblings have stolen 28 (36) items from Baking. Argue if you like about items such as the Frittata and Casseroles, but the fact still stands that without having all of the DLC-added food items, Baking would be twice its current size were the relevant items relocated to it, which would require the skill to be Basegame so that more dessert and baked items could be added to the neglected skill over time (including the freedom of the Doughnuts, Tarts, Eclairs, Muffins, Scones, Profiteroles, Croissants, Brulees, Biscottis, Macaroons, and Croquettes -- 27 items total).

By the way... "cook cake"? The only time "Cooking" and "Cake" should be together is when someone is cooking something whilst baking a cake... or if you're making one of those Youtube videos which claim you can make cakes without most of the steps grandma would have you believe.

In the meantime: LittleMissSam's 'More Servings Options' "Cakes In Baking Menu" addon (can be used without main mod) and Simularity's 'Bake Everything In Any Oven' can be used together to achieve this.

No,we paid for baking from Get to work.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,030 Member
    No,we paid for baking from Get to work.
    Normally I'm against moving DLC stuff we paid for, into the basegame for free. But honestly, it makes too much sense and would help alleviate a problem the game has with its cooking system.

But yeah, Get to Work would need something in return. It already lost Photography, I think cupcakes are base game now, and many of its features are outdated or outright broken. Baking could be replaced with a new skill, or some sort of really unique gameplay object.
    Honestly, I feel like singing should’ve been in base game. It ties into so many aspects from other packs, like the acting career in Get Famous for example, and usually they seem to just replace anything that would logically use singing with guitar. Similarity, the base game entertainer career could’ve also just used singing for promotion requirements too.

And if we ever get a pack with bands, logically singing should also be a pretty big component. It just seems to tie into so many other packs and is only vaguely related to City Living.
    Singing and dancing, basically anything you can do in real life on your own for free, really shouldn't be a paid feature for DLC imo. Like as you said, it fits so many aspects of life that it can't just be quarantined to a single pack theme + some minor cross-pack compatibility, when it can be expanded on in many different ways.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    Additionally, cooking recipes should be updated so they fit into the appropriate categories and there should be new category menus. For example, any recipe that requires you to make batter or knead dough should be considered a baking recipe (i.e. why are cupcakes and bread cooking recipes). While casseroles, meatloaf, quiches, etc are appropriately placed in the cooking category. Recipes that don't require a cooking appliance and can be made on the counter with a mixing bowl or cutting board (i.e. cold sandwiches and salads) should have their own category.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 951 Member
    Many good ideas in this thread. I would love baking becoming base game and I would love to see Get to Work refresh, so that if baking becomes base game the pack gets some other content added to it. I don't own Get to Work and I'm not going to buy it unless it gets a good refresh.
  • Options
    nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    haisin wrote: »
    Many good ideas in this thread. I would love baking becoming base game and I would love to see Get to Work refresh, so that if baking becomes base game the pack gets some other content added to it. I don't own Get to Work and I'm not going to buy it unless it gets a good refresh.

I do own GTW, because I wanted the active careers, however, I'd also like to see more patches for GTW. EA seems to think that older packs don't need patches, just because they come out with newer ones. However, to have better cross compatibility with new packs, they should update older packs. For instance, I'd like to see GTW overhauled to expand upon careers and baking in the following manner:

1. More active career updates for new packs to introduce more playable professions like GTW.
    2. More career branches, to better explore features offered by new packs like discover university.
    3. An overhaul to baking to really simulate the patisserie experience, for instance, cake decorating (not just garnishing dishes), a patisserie career branch for the culinary career, or even a freelance patisserie career.
    4. An update to the cooking system in general to add compatibility with cottage living fresh ingredients and home chef prepped ingredients. The fact that once you purchase these packs, you still can't use ingredients for older recipes from previous packs is a letdown (unless you use mods of course).
    5. Better baking appliances. The cupcake machine is huge, ugly, and doesn't fit with gameplay. I mean, in a real bakery or cooking school, they'd use a double wall oven for baking, not some ugly contraption. The stand mixer from home chef was a good idea.
    6. More recipe variety. I mean, there is 1 recipe for macaroons, 3 recipes for bagels, and 8 recipes for cupcakes. The game is slow to add new harvestables and most cooking recipes are for homestyle cooking and not baking. You get a lot of pie recipes with cottage living, but seriously, they need more diversity. For instance, snowy escape should have come with lots of baking recipes and not just ramen. Many Asian countries are known for their confectionaries.
    6. Better utilization of collectibles in the science career and other careers.