Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do Playable Ghosts Matter?

EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
edited October 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I was thinking about the fact that ghosts don't really make sense if you play them as an active character. I never do that because I can't get past the fact that they have hunger, bladder and hygiene. Why does a non-corporeal being have these issues? I was wondering if anyone else thinks they need to be fixed, or if this is generally considered a non-priority.
-No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
-Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
-No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Do Playable Ghosts Matter? 56 votes

I love ghosts the way they are!
1%
BoergeAarg61 1 vote
I don't care about them. Playing as a ghost just isn't my thing, even if they were "improved"
33%
Monet11lisamwittMariefoxprice83simgirl1010friendlysimmersddsims3worldSweetieWright_84benson2006Ninja-Dan22ChadSims2joleacoKyreRoenthatsnotswegOceancatSeashoreLiviaSiggDiggitPerti23EneroDesyembreCaerfinon 19 votes
I hope they fix ghosts eventually, but there are other aspects of game play I consider more urgent.
26%
Colorist40babajayneCarminebixterscyncieEnkiSchmidtLenny_OggAtreya33SERVERFRATheFlyingGentlemanfae_brassHavenRoseluciusstormskipChungy 15 votes
They need to get rid of the hunger, bladder and hygiene needs yesterday. This has been a problem for too long.
10%
PlayerSinger2010rhaliusgbaisdentelemwillmanicobsessiveBearyBry 6 votes
I'd like them to fix ghosts needs to start out with, but I also want them to expand on the life state in broader ways, perhaps in a pack featuring other funeral/spooky/grim reaper related content.
21%
OolonglongNyxLunaStarmaggiemae8135CAPTAIN_NXR7LiELFRememberJoySimmingalVyollaFlikka_FlikkaEternalSunshineEleriPandoraTO 12 votes
Ghosts need a major overhaul (please explain), fixing their needs alone won't improve things.
5%
BabykittyjadeDKguruArtistThornwillow 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    CaerfinonCaerfinon Posts: 633 Member
    I don't care about them. Playing as a ghost just isn't my thing, even if they were "improved"
    You could cheat then the Reward Store Traits that remove the ghost's needs for hunger, bladder and hygiene. It's not an overhaul, but it would be a way you could better manage ghosts in the current game.
    Cheers
    C.
    Traits: 🐶Dog Lover, 🎨Creative, 😑Loner
    Social Media: 🐘@caerfinon@mastodon.social | My Stories: 🤷🏻🐕 Simmer Tales a comic look at Sims 4 | 🌐A Sim's Life - Comic observations
    My CC: 🎨 Jac related CAS and Build CC | 🖼️ Film Noir Wall Decorations | 👩🎨Pauline King Art
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member
    I hope they fix ghosts eventually, but there are other aspects of game play I consider more urgent.
    I'd love to see ghosts reimagined in the manner of other Occults. However, there are many more critical bugs and issues which I'd like to see addressed first.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    I'd like them to fix ghosts needs to start out with, but I also want them to expand on the life state in broader ways, perhaps in a pack featuring other funeral/spooky/grim reaper related content.
    I mean its not really on my list of priorities but I would love to see more spooky packs and I do feel like ghosts could do with some updates
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited October 2023
    I play Guidry and a few other ghosts. It doesn’t make sense that they have the same physical needs as living people, but I’ve explained it in my own game as the ghosts trying to hold on to some semblance of life by mimicking their past behavior. Kind of makes them more tragic, to me.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

I don't care much about their needs, I just cheat them so they don't eat ,use the toilet...
    Only thing that keeps me from playing ghosts more often is that stupid color change with their current mood -.-
    That annoys me so much, it ruins them for me completely.
    Imo Ghosts are dead and gone and more distanced to their moods than living Sims and even they don't change their color with their moods.
    Makes no sense at all...
    But, I totally agree - there are more urgent things they have to fix and implement to Sims 4 - the never ending construction site 🏗 👻

tumblr_ps2rlmxn0O1sdrnnoo1_1280.jpg
    32daacc18dfaadc46d926a662f1d800ce77f5dcd.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    I wish there were a mod, pack or update that eliminates ghosts’ physical needs and also makes them behave more according to the traits and skills they had in life rather than just possessing fridges and junk. I also wish there were more ghost-specific interactions for them besides just asking them about being dead. And other sims should be afraid of or at least startled by ghosts, especially ones they don’t know. Ghosts are super pointless right now. The only reason I keep them in my current save is so my 100 baby challenge sim can maintain her relationships with her dead children and they don’t get culled from the family tree (although I’ve lost a couple here and there when I wasn’t paying close enough attention).
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I'm not interested in playing ghosts but definitely would support an update as I know a lot of simmers enjoy ghosts.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    It does not make sense for ghosts to have basic needs like hunger. But it is not a priority for me. I like to play supernatural sims like spellcasters, mermaids and werewolves but ghosts don't interest me that much. I prefer to play the living.
  • Options
    Caerfinon wrote: »
    You could cheat then the Reward Store Traits that remove the ghost's needs for hunger, bladder and hygiene. It's not an overhaul, but it would be a way you could better manage ghosts in the current game.

That works for hunger, but not so much for hygiene and bladder. The Forever Fresh trait is a partial fix. It gets rid of normal hygiene decay, but it doesn't prevent sims from getting dirty in other ways. If you studiously avoid those messy situations, you could still prevent low hygiene, but that's a bit of a pain. The Steel Bladder trait really isn't a fix at all. It doesn't prevent bladder decay, it just slows it down. The problem with ghosts needing the toilet isn't that it happens too often, it's that it just shouldn't happen.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    ThornwillowThornwillow Posts: 123 Member
    edited October 2023
    Ghosts need a major overhaul (please explain), fixing their needs alone won't improve things.
    I'd like them to have a single color instead of changing colors by moodlets (Don't know if we should have Death colors or select it ourselves), to have their original colors fading like in TS2 or Guidry from promos and when we aren't playing with them they need to stop breaking things automatically. Some new interactions and the ability to walk through solids would be awesome (Normal sims usually do this so I don't think it would be difficult lol). Maybe they could have a small perk tree to set them as sad, mischievous or vengeful ghost types.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    to be honest as a player of the sims i do not care about ghost even if they where improve i would simply not play them as a player
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    They need to get rid of the hunger, bladder and hygiene needs yesterday. This has been a problem for too long.
    They have never done ghosts right I feel. Not in sims 2 and 3 either. 3 did them the best probably, but they just aren't very fun to play.
    In 4 they keep breaking things too, I just want to get rid of them when I have a ghost.

Just once, they should actually put as much thought into ghosts as in other super naturals, there's a lot of potential there. And sadly like in many things, Sims 4 is a downgrade instead of an upgrade over past instalments. If it wasn't the only sims game that's actually technically stable, it would not be played much.

A few things I think they could do with ghosts if they ever put them in a game again:
    -They can't leave the location they died, they haunt it. Happiness/satisfaction could have a reward that lets them move around freely.
    -They sleep in their grave or urn by day, and only are around at night. A happiness/satisfaction reward could let them be around by day too.
    -They can be invisible.
    -They get unique interactions as a ghost.
    -Each of their traits has an effect as a ghost, enabling at least one extra interaction or a passive lot trait.

For example, a neat ghost would keep the place tidy. Anything dirty automatically becomes clean the moment the ghost wakes up.
    A handy ghost would do the same with broken things, nothing will ever be broken while they are awake, it automatically repairs itself instantly.
    A prankster ghost would pull harmless pranks around the house, moving stuff around like instruments or such.
    A mean ghost could play meaner pranks, breaking things.
    An evil ghost could be a real terror to any sim who is not a friend, not letting them sleep, spoiling their food, breaking things a sim is using, and they could even be the death of a sim in indirect ways. Like scaring a sim who is already very scared so they die of fright.
    A vain ghost could constantly be seen in mirrors, your sims never get to see their own reflection. But can speak with the ghost through the mirror.
    A family person ghost could look after children and maybe even play with them, like at a doll house making the figures move.
    A clumsy ghost could be always breaking things.
    A musically inclined ghost could have anything that plays music playing their favourite music all the time they are awake.
    A lazy ghost could sleep more, being awake only a few hours at night.
    A glutton ghost would always be raiding the fridge even though ghosts don't need to eat.
    A natural cook ghost could have a breakfast ready for the household by the morning before they go back to sleep, and dinner ready when they wake up right after dark.
    A loner ghost could actively avoid any interaction with the living, getting uncomfortable around them.
    A snob ghost could destroy low quality objects to encourage their replacement with something better.
    A daredevil ghost could enjoy playing around with Sims, like playing airplane with a child or causing big waves in a pool.
    A jealous ghost could strongly attach themselves to one living sim and do mean things to whoever spends time with that sim who is not their friend.
    A childish ghost could enjoy possessing stuffed animals and making them do stuff (which would no doubt entertain child sims.)

Stuff like that, there's so many possibilities to make ghosts fun.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member

Yes. Playable ghosts absolutely matter, but they sure need that Extra Ecto Lurv.

Ghosts require a major overhaul, plus a Ghost Realm / Underworld is long overdue, preferably one that comes with a Grim Reaper (currreerrr) Game Pack. Urns and Gravestones could serve as private entrances to that realm and can only be accessed by the owner. Graveyard Lots may require mausoleums. Graveyards could have a special, public portal ( mausoleum or tomb) that works similarly to the Sylvan Glades tree portal and secret mine entrance “quests” in basegame.
    A sim can live in this realm, as long as they’re a ghost (or a Soul Reaper).

I do think a ghost’s needs and special powers should depend on how they kicked the auld bucket. I believe current ghosts are already somewhat tuned like this, but it’s not enough. They deserve a complete perk & curse tree. I have yet to play a ghost that died by Murphy Bed- they have this ability to possess other sims which I think is fantastic, but in general our current playable ghosts are just not that interesting. They should all be able to possess sims. They should have ghost specific aspirations, from resurrection (and make this more challenging plz) to becoming an Undead or a special kind of powerful ghost. Right now they’re only slightly more interesting than a plant sim. Slightly.
    rhalius wrote: »

A few things I think they could do with ghosts if they ever put them in a game again:
    -They can't leave the location they died, they haunt it. Happiness/satisfaction could have a reward that lets them move around freely.
    -They sleep in their grave or urn by day, and only are around at night. A happiness/satisfaction reward could let them be around by day too.
    -They can be invisible.
    -They get unique interactions as a ghost.
    -Each of their traits has an effect as a ghost, enabling at least one extra interaction or a passive lot trait.

Great ideas. It would be interesting to have ghosts tied to a location right after they die, but as they work their way up the haunting skill tree, (I suddenly see a hauntingly beautiful visual of this perk tree in my mind’s eye…) they will gain the ability to leave the lot. This ability could already be available to sims that die on a lot other than their own home, or maybe not. It would be funny to play with a ghost that died in a restaurant. It would force a player to travel to the restaurant every time they want to play with that particular ghost and help it get it out of there. Don’t delete that restaurant lot or you shall loose your ghost!

Same thing re visibility and interactivity. This is usually the main challenge of “movie” ghosts. They have to find ways to interact with the world of the living and make themselves visible in order to bring a message across and / or to move on. Give us an incentive to play ghost sims.

In terms of cross pack gameplay, one of the perks could be the ability to shape-shift into one of those Paranormal blobbies ( Paranormal Stuff), a Night Wraith or even a Familiar ( Realm of Magic) or an Island Spirit ( Island Living) etc.

Resurrection gone wrong - which is something I really liked in Sims 3 - simply means that a resurrection ritual goes wrong and instead of being fully alive, a sim semi- resurrects into an Undead, except this time around zombie head doesn’t care for your sim’s garden. It won’t autonomously eat your sim’s giant melons or micro sprouts. It will simply cause havoc in many different ways. I haven’t fully thought this one out yet although it should be delicious no matter what. 😈

There’s more I’d like to share but I’m currently at work, thinking about rather grim things and not exactly “working”.

• Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Yes, playable ghosts would be awesome! I love my haunted houses and would enjoy making a ghost family (and playing with them) to live in them, like in Sims 3. We really need to be able to make a ghost/ghost family in CAS. @CAPTAIN_NXR7 I love your ideas for gameplay with ghosts and would buy a pack like that the minute it was available! The ghosts in Sims 4 definitely need improvement so we can enjoy having them in the game.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Yes please, to a ghost revamp. Have asked for it many times before and will ask again, thank you. :)

I'd like to get rid of the ghost needs unless under special circumstances, like, say, the friendly family ghost who thinks it's still alive and lives in the house doing what it always did in life. Eating at the table, showering, etc. But it should have a "startling" effect on Sims when encountering it, although can be befriended and made an "official" member of a household.

Otherwise, I love a lot of the suggestions in this thread and I'd really like to see some other ghost varieties. Haunters, wanderers, restless dead, Reapers... Maybe a few main varieties? These "types" could each serve a different purpose. For example, the Reapers, of course, would work for Grim and help gather souls (new career!) and could get their new "uniforms", sporting varieties of the classic, creepy death robes and withered look of Grim himself. The Haunters could be tied to the location where they died, possibly re-experiencing their death, scaring Sims, occupying empty lots and graveyards, but possibly have a way to be put to rest by a living (or Occult) Sims. The Wanderers could be like what we have now, NPC ghosts, but without the needs. The Restless could be the "family" type, who settle into their old lives but maybe also can reproduce like in Sims 3, so they can be played like regular Sims. And, of course, I agree with @CAPTAIN_NXR7 about botched resurrections and the return of "real" zombies, like in Sims 2. Oh, and also, please add a few appropriate cross-pack powers to the other Occults, like death/resurrection spells, special Occult ghosts, etc, and allow children and toddlers to be ghosts as well. o:)

There are so many ways Ghosts could be expanded. They have been in The Sims since the first game, haven't they? They deserve their proper place amongst the bigger, better Occults. Some extra things in CAS I'd love for them are ghoulish makeup, tattered clothing and shrouds, deathly skin types and textures, even strange faces or "heads" (or headless) like they did with Aliens in the Batuu pack. Ooh, now that I think on it, please, please, please can we have a headless effect? The Headless Horseman is one of my favorite "haunters". Would LOVE to play one without a mod. And also, some wispy and weird hairs and strange tattoos/body marks.

I love ghosts (if you haven't noticed). They scare the bejeesus out of me. I love them in films and books and stories, of which I have a collection. I live in a city that has a history with many haunted tales. Please give our Sim Ghosts some love. <3

#Team Occult
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I don't currently play with ghosts, but if they were to be improved I could see myself playing with them a lot.

Other people have already listed things I'd like to see, but one thing I haven't seen is adding psychics to the game. This could be a hidden trait that sims can randomly be born with and/or it could be a trait bought with satisfaction points. Perhaps Spellcasters and Vampires might be more likely to be born with this hidden trait and I could see it being hereditary as well.

Those with the psychic trait would be able to see and interact with ghosts, while those without it would only see objects moving about and get a scared moodlet. This would play out depending on which sim you have selected. If you select a psychic sim, ghosts would become visible, while having a non psychic sim selected would leave ghosts invisible. Of course psychics would also learn the Medium skill faster if you have the Paranormal pack, and perhaps living in a haunted house would make ghosts visible to all the inhabitants (but maybe only around a full moon?).

Psychics would also have special interactions with ghosts, helping them calm down, asking them not to break stuff, or, if they're a bit more devious, asking them to haunt another sim. They'd also automatically know how a sim died, and depending on how they improve ghosts, psychics would also have unique interactions in other areas as well. To make it even better, I'd love if Psychic sims would randomly learn something about living sims while conversing, such as traits, occult type, or their specific mood (ie. their top moodlet at that moment).

Well, this is getting a little long so I'll wrap it up, but yeah... psychic sims!
  • Options
    rhalius wrote: »
    -They can be invisible.

I think these would be more effective as part of a Ghost skill tree. Maybe you have to perform ghostly activities to build ghost points. A mischievous ghost plays pranks that can give people a minor playful, minor angry or minor scared moodlet and has a chance of granting a bonus for building mischief and comedy. A tortured ghost does things to make people sad or causes them to fail at things. A benevolent ghosts engages in inspiring visitations that can cause people to be inspired or focused and helps them to be more successful at things. I'm honestly thinking of the three types of witches in Sims 2 Apartment Life and how behavior changes their orientation and appearance.
  • Options
    BearyBryBearyBry Posts: 88 Member
    I've not played as a ghost yet, the fact they have physical needs is something that puts me off though.
  • Options
    EneroDesyembreEneroDesyembre Posts: 64 Member
    As much as I love ghosts as a concept and storytelling tool in the sims games, they don't really offer anything unique compared to regular human sims other than the ability to walk through walls and interfere with objects in negative ways. Unless they get substantial changes they'll just stay as a really mediocre ""life"" stage/occult to me imo
  • Options
    gbaisdengbaisden Posts: 95 Member
    I have tried with ghosts in my household. They constantly possess things and break them. Make food and don't finish it. Plus they have needs. If ghosts were overhauled, I'd add them to my houses more often. As it is now, for me personally, they're not fun to play. I'd love to see them get an overhaul.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I feel playing a ghost is just as needed as playing a Sim that is alive and if they need some improvement, then that needs to be done.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I have never understood why they have the hunger, hygiene and bladder needs. It is really annoying, even for the background ghosts. How can a ghost be peeing? It makes no sense.
  • Options
    DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 299 Member
    Would have liked for them to feel more unique, maybe having needs like filling out fun maybe system like with vampires and spellcaster where they could use scare sims to build up to becoming more powerful ghost maybe a poltergeist or something. Think for player ghost they need to be more interesting.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited October 2023
    I almost chose "They need to get rid of the hunger, bladder and hygiene needs yesterday." because event though I don't play ghosts, I can see how annoying that would be for people who do.

I control death in my game. If a Sim dies, it's because I was ready for them die and I want them to stay dead. I always release people's ghosts right away. The only exception was when I made Olive Specter's family, and they are basically just townies. I don't play as them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01