Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is the snow so flat? :(

Comments

• Options
    SugarshotzSugarshotz Posts: 35 Member
    i`m totally fine with it.
  • Options
    AspenSimsAspenSims Posts: 603 Member
    edited May 2018
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    AspenSims wrote: »
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Someone posted this on luth's thread, and the snow on the roof and ground does look a bit flat:

There are clearly different thicknesses of snow on that roof. Look above the dormers. The roof texture is visible in those areas, but covered elsewhere.

Seems more like transparency to me

With the way roof tools work in this game (custom curvature etc) they would probably have to spend way too long on making 3D roof snow not graphically glitchy.

Using opacity to suggest the thickness variance is probably easier on dev times, and people's computers when rendering.

Either way, it depends on your definition of flat. Flat mesh, maybe. Flat texture, doesn't look like it.

Okay but we're not talking about suggested thickness. We're talking about three dimensional looking snowpack like in TS2 and TS3. That is why it looks flat. It looks like terrain paint.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Someone posted this on luth's thread, and the snow on the roof and ground does look a bit flat:

There are clearly different thicknesses of snow on that roof. Look above the dormers. The roof texture is visible in those areas, but covered elsewhere.

With the way roof tools work in this game (custom curvature etc) they would probably have to spend way too long on making 3D roof snow not graphically glitchy.

Using opacity to suggest the thickness variance is probably easier on dev times, and people's computers when rendering.

Either way, it depends on your definition of flat. Flat mesh, maybe. Flat texture, doesn't look like it.

Okay but we're not talking about suggested thickness. We're talking about three dimensional looking snowpack like in TS2 and TS3. That is why it looks flat. It looks like terrain paint.

And I was talking about the roof in particular.

As for the ground, I'm waiting to see if snow accumulates in different thickness on the ground over time like it did in TS2. It's only the announce trailer, there will be several more.

E.G. Some of the plants didn't look like they were frosty in the trailer (around ice rink) so it may be that they are still working on snow cover and seasonal texture changes etc.
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    I can't deny the snow looks so artificial, nothing natural at all but I also doubt they will do anything about it, this game is coming in a month time.

The Sims Game
  • Options
    KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    We still haven't seen heavy snowfall, so we can still hope.
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Options
    AspenSimsAspenSims Posts: 603 Member

And I was talking about the roof in particular.

As for the ground, I'm waiting to see if snow accumulates in different thickness on the ground over time like it did in TS2. It's only the announce trailer, there will be several more.

E.G. Some of the plants didn't look like they were frosty in the trailer (around ice rink) so it may be that they are still working on snow cover and seasonal texture changes etc.

I really hope you are right!
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Even if there's no variety now, it can still be patched in.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,908 Member
    Here's another Windenburg pic. I hope snow will be thicker too but I'm still happy we have snow.

wUYClTD.jpg
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Personally it doesn't trouble me since this is what snow usually looks like in my town.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Sonia016 wrote: »
    I can't deny the snow looks so artificial, nothing natural at all but I also doubt they will do anything about it, this game is coming in a month time.

Ugh I’m happy with the rest of the pack, I just wish they’d taken a couple more months to figure out the snow depth somehow.
    Whatever, it’s still a day one purchase for me! :lol:
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Looks fine to me. Atleast the EP is finally coming out.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    There's another thread talking about it too and it has some good pictures in it. I would recommend scrolling through page 2 to see the snow angel pictures and the roof pictures. The difference should be obvious then.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited May 2018
    There's another thread talking about it too and it has some good pictures in it. I would recommend scrolling through page 2 to see the snow angel pictures and the roof pictures. The difference should be obvious then.

The 'difference'? From what I've seen of the snow angels, they don't require depth at all. I always thought when I saw it in the trailer that something about the snow angel looked off, and now that we've seen there is no depth to the snow it makes sense. The snow angel effect could be created by creating 3D models of snow around the Sim in the shape of a snow angel. However, I don't even know that they're even doing that. From the screenshots in that topic the snow angel is so hard to see that I'm led to believe that it might not even be achieved by models, but might be textures, like the snow altogether. However, we don't know that for sure.

Either way, they're creating an illusion of a snow angel, nothing more.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    I don't really mind it to be honest. Might be worth asking them on Twitter if the snow rises in heavy snowfall.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Not even in the background does it look any different. Just 2D flooring... :/:/
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Hmm, I'm actually agreeing with you on this one. There's a lot of clever reskinning going on there, rather than actual depth to snow.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,734 Member
    Disappointed but not surprised.
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    I'm actually gutted but I think I've now come to accept that although I saw the potential of TS4 at the beginning, the devs are failing to fulfil that potential. They're making a game that LOOKS good. But when you dig deeper you find that there's no substance to any of it. I haven't played since C&Ds came out and I thought that Seasons would always be the pack to entice me back. Unfortunately, if I'm honest with myself (I don't really want to be) I know deep down that things won't improve and that I'm probably best off just moving on the from the series.

To those of you that constantly tell the moaners to leave; there, you're winning. We are leaving. See how much you enjoy your game in a few years when most of the fan base have abandoned it and the budgets get slashed (even further because apparently they're not that high right now) leaving you with even less game from your money. I'm not doing this because I want to moan or be negative; I have always loved this franchise. But I disagree with the way it is heading; I want a game with depth and substance, something that I can get lost in for hours on end. Whilst TS4 is beautiful to look at there's not really any game play involved and this is four years down the line. So I'll just accept that this is what it is now and I'll go off and play something else.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It does look poor. I showed my Husband who is a game developer the picture of the sim making a snow angel and he said it just looks like she is stsrfishing as you can't see the snow angel she is making
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Now it’s been pointed out, it is apparent to me. But I didn’t notice it with my own eyes. It shouldn’t bother me.
  • Options
    aelias24aelias24 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2018
    Each pack always give me something I must have in my game, (roller and ice skating) so flat snow is not a big deal breaker for me.
    Real Life Is Never As Interesting As the SimswIiJK39.jpg
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    It does look poor. I showed my Husband who is a game developer the picture of the sim making a snow angel and he said it just looks like she is stsrfishing as you can't see the snow angel she is making

The impression in the 'snow' just looks like a shadow. She's just lay there on a a white floor basically.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,912 Member
    edited May 2018
    @Moodbeamy , you have every right to speak out. I'm sorry you feel compelled to leave, however. I was disappointed with the flat ball pit. I do find some things that are done in Sims4 so much better than in Sims2 or 3, that I will hang in there, myself. I have a love/hate relationship with Sims3, but ST and the singer career had me addicted. Now, I'm trying to recreate that fun by using the Road to Fame mod. It's a shame I have to resort to such mods. I only did so in Sims3 to help stabilize the dang game. Plus Twallen created a Story Progression mod that really kicked EA's attempt to the curb.

I do hope you find another franchise, or game that gives you the pleasure you seek. We all need something.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top