Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This REALLY upset me last night (Sims fight)

Comments

• Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited November 2013
    Any time a sim of either gender finds out their romantic interest is cheating on them, they may slap them up. I saw it in a game I was playing with my sim involved with Marc Brandt. He starts the game romantically involved with Amy Bull. He was going steady with my sim and they went to the Bistro to eat. Afterward, she kissed him and went home. Amy Bull was there and saw it, and went up to Marc Brandt, slapped him up, and became his enemy.

I also do not violate my convictions in this game. It's like real life, you will have things come up where you have to make a decision to either follow your convictions or not. There is no reason not to play this game just because it's like real life in that way. I feel it's good practise in standing firm when it would be easier to compromise.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited November 2013
    The cartoon fighting doesn't bother me at all because it's equal between the genders. It's not a case of "abuse". It's cartoon violence. At least, that's the way I look at it.

IRL, I once stood up to a stranger who was threatening a woman with his fist. I would NEVER accept real violence of that sort. But, life is not a game. The Sims is a game.

I don't like my single Sims dating married Sims and so that's one of the things I don't allow to happen in my game. But, I don't have a problem with the drama that comes from cheating on boyfriends/girlfriends. I think it makes for a more interesting game.

Just because there is marital cheating in the game, just because there is physical violence in the game, just because there is death in the game, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It allows TS3 to be enjoyed in many different ways while keeping all its players happy.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited November 2013
    I am so glad I have never seen this interaction but then cheating sims is not my style I have cassanova sims but that is another matter.

I can understand that it was uncomfortable and upsetting to watch. It also seems a little out of proportion for some flirting that went a little too far. I wonder what would have happened had you closed the game without saving?
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited November 2013
    snurfles wrote:
    Just because there is marital cheating in the game, just because there is physical violence in the game, just because there is death in the game, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It allows TS3 to be enjoyed in many different ways while keeping all its players happy.

To each their own opinion. Some may be bothered by it and the feelings it brings them, others may not care. I certainly would not feel good about drowning a sim had I just known someone who passed irl due to drowning, even if its just a game; but like you said, thats the good thing about sims- you aren't forced to play a way you don't like to.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited November 2013
    It's actually part of the asexuality of the Sims. Think about it for a minute. When Sims marry, whichever Sim did the asking now has their name as the family name, regardless of the gender of the Sim who proposed. ALL Sims can make romantic overtures towards Sims of the same sex and respond positively to romantic overtures by the same sex. Both male and female Sims are equally strong and the only thing that determines the outcome of a physical altercation between Sims, whether of the same sex or opposite sex, is their athletic level and perhaps a bit of random chance. A mean spirited Sim is more likely to prevail in a fight because mean spirited Sims love to brawl. And then, of course, if you have WA, martial arts gets thrown into the mix. In the world of the Sims, the genders truly ARE equal. Female Sims don't make less than male Sims at the same job for instance. So, since all things really are equal, and since physical fighting IS part of the game, you will see male-female violence from time to time. For those who are sensitive to that sort of thing (especially if they've experienced the absolutely NOT funny real world version)I can see how seeing this in the game would be upsetting. But, as other commenters have pointed out, you have to keep in mind that this is "cartoon violence" and is intended to be comical and not to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    emma78888emma78888 Posts: 240 Member
    edited November 2013
    My sim sometimes gets slapped by another sim and I end up wondering why because I haven't a clue because they are just chatting! :shock: but sometimes in past games, I have enjoyed acting out something I would never do in reality, I like to treat the Sims like a soap opera and it is a game after all! :)
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited November 2013
    I would say that women shouldn't hit men because they can't fight back, but some men...

With the game though it's hard to say what they should do, because they want the game to portray men and women as equal in everything. Women have equal chance at when a fight as a man, but it is a huge cultural taboo for a man to hit a woman. The only PC thing I can come up with is that men can only hit men and women can only hit women. Personally, I think they should keep it the way it is.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't see what the problem is; if hitting is okay in response for cheating by one party, then when both are equal it is okay for both parties. If it is not okay for one party and both are equal, then it is not okay for either.

Sims 3 portrays the sexes as equal, to the best degree equality can be achieved.

The problem with equality is this: If it's wrong for a man to hit a woman but not wrong for her to hit him, then it's not equality. If you advocate for that, then you should also realize the same set of standards that holds that also holds that women should not have jobs, should value their lives by only their physical looks and by having children, and should spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Under true equality, the standards apply equally... if it's not okay for a man to hit a woman, it's not okay for a woman to hit a man. And, really, it's not okay for people to hit each other at all. If women must take care of the children, then so must men. If women must do cooking, then so must men.

Equality comes with costs and consequences... If you cannot accept those, you don't deserve to be equal.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Why is this in the sims 4 section when it has absolutely NOTHING to do with sims 4?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    edited November 2013
    If my husband cheated on me I'd probably slap him. Even just kissing. If I cheated on him I don't think I could fault him for slapping me either, I would deserve it. If anyone was getting kicked out of the house it would be the cheater.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Why is this in the sims 4 section when it has absolutely NOTHING to do with sims 4?

It was probably dumped here to kill it. I noticed they do that sometimes.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

It was probably dumped here to kill it. I noticed they do that sometimes.

LOL! Thats terrible.
    If I cheated on him I don't think I could fault him for slapping me either, I would deserve it.

I don't think anyone deserves to be hit by their spouse, maybe thats just me though.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If I cheated on him I don't think I could fault him for slapping me either, I would deserve it.

I don't think anyone deserves to be hit by their spouse, maybe thats just me though.

Not just you. I agree. Spousal abuse is not okay. If you can't be married to them and not violent, then you shouldn't be married.
  • Options
    frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    edited November 2013
    Well in my mind he would deserve a slap if he cheated on me so I would deserve one if I cheated on him. Cheating is a very, very big deal to me. I agree that at that point we probably shouldn't be married, and there's a good chance we would be moving towards divorce.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I have to respectfully disagree. Whether or not you move to a divorce, I do not believe either of you would deserve a slap.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I have to respectfully disagree. Whether or not you move to a divorce, I do not believe either of you would deserve a slap.

This :( this topic makes me sad
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    MattjamHoMattjamHo Posts: 206 New Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't see what the problem is; if hitting is okay in response for cheating by one party, then when both are equal it is okay for both parties. If it is not okay for one party and both are equal, then it is not okay for either.

Sims 3 portrays the sexes as equal, to the best degree equality can be achieved.

The problem with equality is this: If it's wrong for a man to hit a woman but not wrong for her to hit him, then it's not equality. If you advocate for that, then you should also realize the same set of standards that holds that also holds that women should not have jobs, should value their lives by only their physical looks and by having children, and should spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Under true equality, the standards apply equally... if it's not okay for a man to hit a woman, it's not okay for a woman to hit a man. And, really, it's not okay for people to hit each other at all. If women must take care of the children, then so must men. If women must do cooking, then so must men.

Equality comes with costs and consequences... If you cannot accept those, you don't deserve to be equal.

I have to agree with all of this.

If the situation had been reversed, and the woman had hit the man, would you feel just as upset? It's a double standard.

The Sims has equality for both genders, this is something that comes with that. The only difference between Sims are their looks. There could be a scrawny elder female sim with 10 athletic points, who would easily kick the a** of that toned, muscled young adult male sim next door. The Sims doesn't see gender, maybe we shouldn't either.
  • Options
    ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited November 2013

Well said. Are you also a feminist? Because I am and that's exactly how I view life. :)

That said...wth is this doing in the sims4 section????
  • Options
    ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited November 2013

Didn't see your post when I did mine. My thoughts exactly!! Unless the new emotion system will be exclusively non-violent? :P
  • Options
    BassistBillyBassistBilly Posts: 88 New Member
    edited November 2013
    In real life, yeah. That's not cool. But neither is kissing a different person while married. There have been things like that in the Sims that catches me off guard sometimes too. I grew up seeing my parents argue all night and throw things at each other because my mom was unhappy and saw a different man (who I met at a playground and told my dad when I was too young to understand what I just said), ultimately divorcing when my sister and I were turning into teenagers and already feeling insecure. I do not take cheating lightly, (in fact never at all is it acceptable) but domestic violence sucks. And, whether it's too traditional in 2013, I still think men are to be protective of their wife and daughter(s) and never hit them.

The double standard is messed up, but in terms of law, the man is almost always wrong if arguing against a woman. Women confuse me a lot with switching back and forth from wanting independence "not needing no man" and being equal or better, but also wanting to be treated like a lady. And us men just go about it trying to say and do the right things, and half the time are wrong or in some way screw up, even though we mean well.

Anyway, The Sims is just a game, and the little face slap that looks like a prissy face rub isn't so big of a deal, but the point of the matter I understand. If they animated husbands throwing chairs at their wife, then I'd be like, "Hey, this is my childhood all over again, and really messed up," and EA would have lawsuits out the wazoo. But it's not like they intentionally put abuse toward women into the game - The Sims basically ignores gender aside from looks.

I know if my woman ever cheated on me, I would not respond violently, but be extremely scarred. It'd be as if everyone important always leaves, starting with my mom back then. I know it took my dad 9 years to even consider dating after their divorce (and he wasn't abusive at all - the fights were just mutual anger escalated to a bad point). He had a terrible childhood himself, and then his wife screwed him. I feel really bad for him a lot, but also understand my mother's motives and reasoning, and know the mistake hurts her too.

Stuff like that just makes me wonder what the appropriate male response to a cheating woman should be. From what I've seen and know about my own emotions, it'd probably just be deeply bottled pain, and just letting her do what she wants. At that point, a second shot at love is tainted.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited November 2013
    Yeah I had my female sim cheat on my male sim with 15 guys, and the male sim cheat on the female sim with 15 girls. So I know first hand how messy it gets...but then again I chose there interactions so I am to blame for that :lol:

Anyway, she cheat and accused him of cheating and then he slapped her. Weird right? I was shocked, and I felt kind of uncomfortable. I don't know something just didn't set right with me. The fact that a man can hit a woman so freely in the game. But then again a woman can hit a man freely in the game too, so honestly I guess it's "fair". I just have to remember that they're not real, so who cares.

But now I know not to make my male sim find out about his cheating girlfriend. Don't want to see that again :lol:
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited November 2013
    A man should never hit a woman, period. Its not sexist its just how it is in society. If my wife hit me? No I would not hit her back... I am 10x stronger than she is and I could really hurt her.

As for violence in the sims? I don't really think there is much to worry about. I honestly would rather have it in game. I don't think the sims really has much violence or adult themes as it is and what little is in the game shouldn't be removed... I would rather them further more mature concepts, the majority of the playerbase is "mature" and "adult" anyways.
  • Options
    fabregas22fabregas22 Posts: 369 Member
    edited November 2013
    Choxie77 wrote:
    I don't know why, but I was in a goofy mood this week and had my wife Sim cheat on her husband. Just kissing, no woohoo'ing or anything. I don't usually do that, but I was bored or something. Anyway, days went by and the husband never accused her of cheating, which was weird so I figured nothing was going to come of it.

Last night when I was playing with one of the kids in town, and when I sent her home I got to the homelot just in time to see the husband accuse the wife of cheating and then he smacked her!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I have only ever seen this happen when I purposely choose to 'fight.' It was pretty much out of nowhere and I was NOT HAPPY. It just gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. Something about seeing that kind of domestic violence, even though it's just a game, felt really ugly to me.

I promptly kicked him out of the house.

What do you think about this? Have you seen this happen before?

I would say you took it a bit to much to heart considering you got a sick feeling because of it, the reason I say this is because it is just a game so I would say the rules are different since the characters are in no way real.

It has happened with two of my sims but because of the silly animation I'm not gonna lie it made me laugh.

Also maybe your male sim was just abusive at heart haha? You responded the right way though so obviously if this happens to you in real life, you know what to do now
  • Options
    MattjamHoMattjamHo Posts: 206 New Member
    edited November 2013
    SuRihtanil wrote:
    A man should never hit a woman, period. Its not sexist its just how it is in society. If my wife hit me? No I would not hit her back... I am 10x stronger than she is and I could really hurt her.

As for violence in the sims? I don't really think there is much to worry about. I honestly would rather have it in game. I don't think the sims really has much violence or adult themes as it is and what little is in the game shouldn't be removed... I would rather them further more mature concepts, the majority of the playerbase is "mature" and "adult" anyways.
    It's not about whether it's okay for a man to hit a women. It's about why is it socially expectable for a woman to hit a man? Nobody should be hitting anybody.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited November 2013
    screenshot579d.jpg
    screenshot576f.jpg
    screenshot575m.jpg

My sims spar with each other all the time. The husband beats the wife many times but the wife is on a lower level :)
    Its all how you look at it i guess OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top