Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 Apocalypse Challenge

I have officially gotten the spark of creativity on how to properly make the next generation incarnation of the Apocalypse Challenge. This is just an announcement of the idea, many months of tweaking and play testing are needed before I release anything to the forums officially, but just letting people know it is now in development.

I can't say much in the way of specifics other than it will keep in the theme of being very difficult and very complex with time being the only way to keep score.

That being said, I would like to use this thread as feedback for my original Apocalypse Challenge. What things did you specifically like or not like about it?

For those not familiar with the Apocalypse Challenge, here is a link to the rules of the original TS2 version.
http://www.legacychallenge.com/apocalypse.html
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Twitter: @Pinstar
Youtube

This account is now maintained by Pinstar's wife, Mystic.

Twitter: @Sims_Legacy

Official Legacy Challenge Site

Comments

• Options
    BennjoonBennjoon Posts: 1,909 Member
    edited September 2009
    :O
  • Options
    thenickel09thenickel09 Posts: 1,591 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Sorry to burst your bubble of inspiration, but Ashleigh825 did a Sims 3 adaptation of your rules already.

She credits you multiple times though.
  • Options
    Pinstar1161Pinstar1161 Posts: 216 Member
    edited September 2009
    Sorry to burst your bubble of inspiration, but Ashleigh825 did a Sims 3 adaptation of your rules already.

She credits you multiple times though.

I'm aware of that. I have a much different take on the idea this time around, Different enough from Ashleigh825's version of the challenge.

Youtube

• Options
    KirsalynneKirsalynne Posts: 126 Member
    edited September 2009
    Oooh I can't wait. I never did any challenges in Sims2 because I wasn't even aware really of the massive online community. I am however doing legacies here and I heard a lot about your apocalypse stuff! I can't wait Pinstar! Weeeeeee!

• Options
    DiscoTwitchDiscoTwitch Posts: 209 Member
    edited September 2009
    I always wanted to try the apacolypse challenge, even more so than the original legacy challenge.

Although the reason I never did is probably because there were so many rules I wasn't sure if I could handle them. I like the fact that so mayn things are unavailable at first, but it was just a lot to remember and I feel like I'd immediately fail due to forgetting the rules. That or I'd read and memorize the rules more than playing the game.

I'm not sure how you could work around that, but that was just a bit of feedback...
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I always wanted to try the apacolypse challenge, even more so than the original legacy challenge.

Although the reason I never did is probably because there were so many rules I wasn't sure if I could handle them. I like the fact that so mayn things are unavailable at first, but it was just a lot to remember and I feel like I'd immediately fail due to forgetting the rules. That or I'd read and memorize the rules more than playing the game.

I'm not sure how you could work around that, but that was just a bit of feedback...

Unfortunately, that is one aspect that is going to be carried over. The Apocalypse challenge is meant to be highly complex with a ton of rules. It is admittedly not for everyone, but that is why I worked to simplify the Legacy Challenge.

Youtube

• Options
    Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, well I'm glad you got that spark of creativity again, but I guess that means there wasn't much of a point in me making the Apocalypse Challenge.

Anyway, I'll be sticking with mine, since I slaved over it for days and spent even longer play-testing it to work out the kinks and bugs. It'd be a shame to abandon something I spent so much time and effort on.
  • Options
    Robodl95Robodl95 Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited September 2009
    This is great!
    I must say here I really appreciate the lessening of Legacy rules I'm really enjoying writing and playing my legacy becuase it's still a challenge but I don't need to keep track of a millon different rules and scoring categories it's a very casual challenge

Now to the apocalypse

Since the Apocalypse is obviously a very challenging challenge it would need alot more rules than the Legacy, I think there should not be a scoring guide for the challenge have it be a race against the clock to accomplish the careers/LTW's and restore order ASAP
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, well I'm glad you got that spark of creativity again, but I guess that means there wasn't much of a point in me making the Apocalypse Challenge.

Anyway, I'll be sticking with mine, since I slaved over it for days and spent even longer play-testing it to work out the kinks and bugs. It'd be a shame to abandon something I spent so much time and effort on.

On the contrary! This is by no means replacing your incarnation of the original. The changes I have in mind would make this challenge different enough so that one could not be said to be the other. Rather, you could play both challenges and get two different experiences. So your hard work in translating the rules are not for naught.

I'm still debating if I should even call it "The Apocalypse Challenge" or not.

Youtube

• Options
    DiscoTwitchDiscoTwitch Posts: 209 Member
    edited September 2009
    Yes, I understand that it must be full of rules and very complex. I think that's why I was so intriguied by it; it seemed near impossible for me. I mean I just wish that there was an easier way for me to remember the rules and what careers unlock which ones. It would be silly for me to expect an apacolypse with a simple solution (;.

Still, I see no way around having a complex challenge without rules. I don't think I'm really expressing what I'm trying to say...I'll get to that later....

But not calling it the apacolypse challenge?! I'm not sure whether to be happy or disapointed about this. Happy, because it will bring a new challenge aspect, but disapointed because, well, besides the legacy challenge, "Apacolypse" is...well...your legacy. No pun intended. :P

I am excited for this though! I think I'm more happy, because either way theres two different versions of the challenge!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes, I understand that it must be full of rules and very complex. I think that's why I was so intriguied by it; it seemed near impossible for me. I mean I just wish that there was an easier way for me to remember the rules and what careers unlock which ones. It would be silly for me to expect an apacolypse with a simple solution (;.

Still, I see no way around having a complex challenge without rules. I don't think I'm really expressing what I'm trying to say...I'll get to that later....

But not calling it the apacolypse challenge?! I'm not sure whether to be happy or disapointed about this. Happy, because it will bring a new challenge aspect, but disapointed because, well, besides the legacy challenge, "Apacolypse" is...well...your legacy. No pun intended. :P

I am excited for this though! I think I'm more happy, because either way theres two different versions of the challenge!

Well on one hand, I do want to keep the name because it is in the spirit of the original apocalypse challenge...and the storyline involves the world going to heck, though in a much different way than the nuclear power plant meltdowns of the original.

On the other hand, I don't want the name confused with the TS2 style (or the incarnation of it for TS3)

I'll probably stick with the word Apocalypse in the title, but have a modifier in there to let it stand alone.

Youtube

• Options
    EmeyleEmeyle Posts: 446 New Member
    edited September 2009
    bump
  • Options
    amchristianamchristian Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited September 2009
    This sounds like great fun. I have thoroughly enjoyed Ashleigh's version of the Apocalypse challenge for TS3 and I know I will love whatever version you recreate for TS3. There is plenty of room for many types of challenges like this for me. These challenges and the building and sim challenges from other players are what keep me playing TS3 while waiting on more content to be added. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • Options
    amchristianamchristian Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited September 2009
    bump :P
  • Options
    MaxiBuckleMaxiBuckle Posts: 6 New Member
    edited November 2009
    This thread just fell to the bottom of the pile. If not for Asleigh's TS3 AC thread, I wouldn't have found it at all.

Do you have an estimated launch date? It's been nearly 3 months since your announcement.

As for your question regarding the Sims 2 Apocalypse Challenge: TS2 AC is brilliant and teetering on the edge of perfection. It still needs tweaking; maybe restricting the Jumbok and Quill (statues) under Artist would help.

The Apoca-Borg FT/AL update is pretty good, but lacks that playful spark which lit the Pets and Seasons updates. It's also gotten bogged down with some unnecessary fluff.

I like how you inject your sense of humor and fresh way of looking at things into your challenges. It keeps things fun and not so serious.

I am looking forward to having all of your challenges published together in one place. It will make it easier for other simmers to note challenge progressions such as the metamorphosis of "Revenge of the Fat Guy" into "Sim of the Month Gordon Loadsworth".

For what it's worth, I'd like to see you keep the words "Apocalypse Challenge" in the challenge name. Scallywag named her AC for TS3 the "Lifetime Wishes Apocalypse Challenge".

I suppose you could simply name yours "Pinstar's Apocalypse Challenge".
  • Options
    ShakeMVShakeMV Posts: 29 New Member
    edited March 2010
    A few more months and I am eager to see Pinstarr's Apocalypse Challenge. Do you still want suggestions? I'm currently playing Ashleigh's version and I have some ideas for variations.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited January 2012
    Well so much for this, it is now 2012
  • Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited September 2012
    http://ts3ac.wikispaces.com/Home

Come check out The Sims 3 Apocalypse Challenge :)

God bless,
    mik