Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rabbit Hole vs Non-Rabbit Hole

Hi all!

I'm just starting to get back into TS3 after years of focusing on TS4.

I read a post on Reddit that in order to make the community lots more active with more sims, that you should only have 1 community lot of each type in your world and to turn certain Rabbit Holes to "No Visitors" to force the sims to populate actual functioning venues.

So I have quite a few questions:
  • Has anybody done this and does it actually work?
  • I don't know which lots are just rabbit holes. Is there a list available to refer to?
  • I have all of the packs and store content installed, so does that make a difference?
  • Are there certain worlds that are better for more populated venues?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Chicklet453681

work type Rabbit holes in sims 3 worlds are normally set to no visitors allowed by default in the game I think. (Please someone correct me if I am wrong) so I don't mess with those unless I bulldoze them and replace them with other builds placing a rabbit hole rug in them to keep to a world theme I may be working on.

There are a few creators that made rugs but I use the ones on the following link if you would like to take a look at those.

http://simsl3gacies.com/downloads/

There is also a custom Rabbit hole doors mod

https://modthesims.info/d/549846/custom-rabbit-hole-doors.html

If you would like to be able to change the colors of EA rabbit holes take a look at the following mod. I am currently use this in almost all my worlds now

CaSTable RabbitHole Replacements

https://modthesims.info/d/541726/

I know a lot of players feel that the less public community lots such as nightclubs, bars and so forth placed in the world will result in more sims being pushed towards whatever community lots are left in the world however that never really worked for me so i downloaded the following mod and instantly got more sims in my nightclubs and other bars and community lots.

MSC! Mod - More Sims in Clubs

https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=552227

here is a good list of Rabbit holes and their function in the world

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Rabbit_hole

big list of rabbit hole sizes in various worlds

https://cawtool.fandom.com/wiki/Rabbithole_lot_sizes

Having all the packs is good for owning all that lovely content but you did not say if you own store items? while this makes no difference those store items will be missing if you download and use other creator builds.

If you are using Origin digital game you should be fully patched up but if on disc ensure you are patched to the last patch.

I have never known any world be better in so far as sims being more drawn to community lots and I have played all EA worlds and a lot of custom worlds as well however some sim traits can make a little difference to their wants and are explained on the following list of sims traits

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Trait_(The_Sims_3)

have a look at this thread as well as some players use Nrass mods to bring people over to community locations however I have never tried it that way.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/910024/can-nraas-mods-help-with-increasing-the-number-of-sims-in-a-club

I hope I have manged to post something you find useful but if you are looking for anything more specific let me know as I use tons mods/cc in my game :)
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,437 Member
    Thanks so much @SPARKY1922! That was very helpful actually. I just D/L'd that MSC mod so I'm excited to try that!
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Chicklet453681

you are very welcome let me know if it works it did for me. I just wanted to remind you if you are coming back to this game after a while to remember to check the fps in game and if necessary use a fraps limiter as 3 can fry your graphics card sometimes if not :)
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    How do we even get venues that aren't rabbit holes? I'm kind of new to TS3 as in I have not played it much in the past. All the venues in my game minus the park seem to be rabbit holes. I'm only playing with base game and seasons installed atm so I don't get overwhelmed with to much stuff to learn all at once.

I'm so sorry if I'm hijacking the thread. This just seemed like it was related to topic. :#
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    How do we even get venues that aren't rabbit holes? I'm kind of new to TS3 as in I have not played it much in the past. All the venues in my game minus the park seem to be rabbit holes. I'm only playing with base game and seasons installed atm so I don't get overwhelmed with to much stuff to learn all at once.

I'm so sorry if I'm hijacking the thread. This just seemed like it was related to topic. :#

Unfortunately some of them you need to buy some stuff to make the non rabbit hole version like for resturants you need to buy the venue but you can also eat outside the rabbit hole building, as for spas i bought the massage chairs to make mine and added them to the salons where you can see sims get fashion makeovers. You can make clothing stores if you have into the future but i havent tried myself so hopefully others can help you with that. For laundromats you need washing machines, if you have ambitions you will have some in your game. There are other venues you can also make with store items like a street market. To run a bakery you need the store venue too lol sorry if this is discouraging you. I feel in your case it is better to just play with the open venues you can make with the expansions you own since you dont know how long you are going to play ts3 so it seems better not to invest this much yet, but if you decide to buy something i advice to do through research before to see if you like the way it works because it is not the same as other games, like your resturants wont function the same way in ts2 so you wont be able to work as a cook and whatnot.
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member

@Sharonia The community lots included in the base game that are not rabbit holes are art galleries, beaches, gyms, libraries, fishing holes, large and small parks and pools. Graveyards are “open” too, although the mausoleum itself is a RH. Seasons EP added the festival grounds (i.e., parks with activities that change with the seasons).

More community lot options, including more non-RH venues and their content, become available when you add other EPs (e.g., bars/clubs/lounges come with Late Night). Other activities can be added using venues and content from the TS3 Store. Building your own (or using player shared lots) is also an option. It all depends on what you’d like to add to your worlds. Is there something specific you’re looking for or would like to do?

To get you started, here is a list of all the community lot assignments, sorted by EP (scroll down a bit for the TS3 section): https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lot_assignment
  • Options
    starguru wrote: »

@Sharonia The community lots included in the base game that are not rabbit holes are art galleries, beaches, gyms, libraries, fishing holes, large and small parks and pools. Graveyards are “open” too, although the mausoleum itself is a RH. Seasons EP added the festival grounds (i.e., parks with activities that change with the seasons).

More community lot options, including more non-RH venues and their content, become available when you add other EPs (e.g., bars/clubs/lounges come with Late Night). Other activities can be added using venues and content from the TS3 Store. Building your own (or using player shared lots) is also an option. It all depends on what you’d like to add to your worlds. Is there something specific you’re looking for or would like to do?

To get you started, here is a list of all the community lot assignments, sorted by EP (scroll down a bit for the TS3 section): https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lot_assignment

Thank you sooooo much for that info! That helps a bunch!
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    starguru wrote: »

I've been playing Sims 4 until recently but I've got annoyed with it and decided to give the Sims 3 another chance. I'm just used to visiting bars and other venues with my sims and I thought it would be great if I could in the Sims 3. I do have the Late Night pack but I haven't got it installed. I think I will install it later before I play next.

That's actually really helpful. Thank you so much.
  • Options
    Glad to help, @Chicklet453681 :) Knowing what all the lot assignments are and how they work is helpful for setting up your worlds just the way you want them. And one nice thing about RHs is that they can work with any lot assignment and along with other builds, so you are able to make some interesting venue combinations.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I've been playing Sims 4 until recently but I've got annoyed with it and decided to give the Sims 3 another chance. I'm just used to visiting bars and other venues with my sims and I thought it would be great if I could in the Sims 3. I do have the Late Night pack but I haven't got it installed. I think I will install it later before I play next.

That's actually really helpful. Thank you so much.
    @Sharonia Late Night is a great pick when you’re looking to add various bars and clubs to your worlds. Another good choice is Uni, which adds useful content for arcades, bowling alleys and cafés. And Ambitions adds salons, laundromats and consignment stores among several other types. IDK which EPs you may have already, or if TS3 is something you plan to play long-term, but those would be some packs I’d add if I were looking specifically for a variety of venue options. You're welcome and have fun! :)
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,935 Member
    Another way of using Rabbit Holes is to place the RH on a lot that's a bit too big for it and build extra around it. For example, if you get showtime, there is a Coffee House rabbit hole that sims vanish into, but it has an outdoor eating area and a showtime stage outside the rabbit hole. Sims tend to go into the RH to buy food, then come outside with it to sit at one of the tables and watch the show.

I've found adding tables and chairs outside a rabbit hole will encourage sims to come out with their food to sit outdoors to eat.

Other venues are not rabbit holes. I have several venues from the Store. But the Stones Throw Greenhouse is the only one of them that I like to use. The thing with venues from the store is they are made using only Base Game items plus the new objects that come with the Rabbit Hole so it is not hard to make them much more fun by adding to them, or by just making something else using the objects.

These threads contain examples of venues people have built and posted pictures - showing what they've made with what they have in their games. There are links to the exchange for some of them too.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/729564/roller-coaster-carnival-and-amore-builds-please-post-your-pics#latest

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/750885/now-and-then-century-manor-and-amore-builds-please-post-your-pics-and-links#latest

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/747068/bakery-amp-old-mill-builds-please-post-your-pics-and-links#latest

Feel free to add your own pictures and links to these threads if you make something you'd like others to find and download from the exchange, or to just show people what you've built with your game.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Also, if you want to turn all you rabbithole careers (whether Maxis-made or fan-made) into active ones, you should install Zerbu's Ultimate Careers mod:

Just set up a lot any way you want for your chosen career, fill it up with all the skill building objects on the career list, in town mode click on the lot to bring up Zerbu's menu and choose the career that you want active on the lot. The next day, all the sims that work in that career will go there and automatically start using the skill building objects! I love this mod so much!

You can also use this mod to make the children's and teens' schools active too!

• Options
    Thanks for all the awesome tips and tricks! I have forgotten so much from being away, they really help a lot!
  • Options
    KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited September 2020
    I make my own rabbit holes using the rugs mentioned above.

Why settle for this:
    nUVMoyu.jpg

aDoojgL.jpg

When you can have this:
    kp3JqvC.jpg

6nfCHUQ.jpg

Saves a lot of space too!

• Options
    I make my own rabbit holes using the rugs mentioned above.

Why settle for this:

Saves a lot of space too!

OMG! Love those builds! They are soooo much better!