The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you look for in downloaded house lots from the gallery?

I like building house lots so I'd love to know what people want from their downloaded lots, style, how many bedrooms, how many packs used, etc. I'd love to hear your feedback to the following:

1) How often do you download houses from the gallery?
2) Is there a particular style e.g traditional, modern, fantasy (like a fairy or alien house) you prefer?
3) How many bedrooms do you usually want in your house?
4) Do you avoid lots that use a lot of packs or MOO (move objects on)?
5) Any other feedback you think a builder should know.

Thanks for your input!
PDWxp40.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I look for houses that don't use absurd tricks like overlapping objects. It's difficult to explain, there are a lot of things that make me delete the house right away when I see them, like windows and doors placed on a corner. I don't download often though, and usually I place them unfurnished because creators make a wild use of MOO. As for style and number of bedrooms, it depends on what I need.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,471 Member
    edited August 2018
    1) Often - can't build for toffee!
    2) Modern or traditional. I'm not keen on the fantasy-type builds unless it's for, say, a themed restaurant
    3) Medium-sized lots (3 bedrooms, 4 max.)
    4) I don't mind a bit of MOO for small clutter objects but not keen on larger pieces being joined together
    5) Some clutter is great, but I prefer the 'less is more' approach :) Having said that, I'm very grateful for all the talented and generous builders out there because see point 1 :mrgreen:
  • Options
    mistwolf7mistwolf7 Posts: 78 Member
    lsnishi wrote: »
    I like building house lots so I'd love to know what people want from their downloaded lots, style, how many bedrooms, how many packs used, etc. I'd love to hear your feedback to the following:

2) Is there a particular style e.g traditional, modern, fantasy (like a fairy or alien house) you prefer?

Thanks for your input!

1. Pretty much any time I need a house. I don't feel like I'm a very good builder so I look for gallery houses that I can either take as-is or use with just a little modification. I do download individual rooms as well if I'm happy with the house I'm playing but want to 'renovate' just part of it.
    2. I usually go for modern houses, something sleek, clean, and cool.
    3. Depends on the game, usually 1 when I start since I usually start with one sim, but then 2-3 once my sim has a family. Unless I want a mansion I don't really like big houses and I prefer to play on small lots as well (usually I don't play on anything bigger than 30x20).
    4. I own most packs so I don't mind if I find a house that makes use of a lot of packs...and I usually don't notice if the game says it's replaced or removed objects I don't have honestly. I do avoid most use of MOO; a little bit to make gardens or something look nice is fine, but I hate downloading a lot that has clutter completely covering every. single. surface and usually a lot of it was placed with MOO. Like the previous poster said, overlapping objects is a turn-off for me.
    5. I really love when a builder takes the time to design a pretty garden (not the kind with the harvestable plants, but the ones in build mode) or a cute yard in general, for me it really pulls the whole build together.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

1) How often do you download houses from the gallery? Sometimes often, sometimes not. Often when I'm creating a new game.
    2) Is there a particular style e.g traditional, modern, fantasy (like a fairy or alien house) you prefer? I download a variety.
    3) How many bedrooms do you usually want in your house? 2-3.
    4) Do you avoid lots that use a lot of packs or MOO (move objects on)? If possible, yes.
    5) Any other feedback you think a builder should know. Have fun.

Thanks for your input!

• Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member

Thanks for your input!

Quite often as I seem to scatter build (everything everywhere)
    I like keep it simple style, currently into the tiny house, but normally like simple one floor, open concept kitchen/ living/ areas
    3 - 4 bedroom
    I don't like the MOO cheat, I forget to enable it and it causes lots of headache when remodeling
    Sometimes I would just like the house layout and not furnished.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    1. rarely
    2. depends
    3. depends
    4. packs don't matter to me, moo depends
    5. I would say focus less on these details (which can vary even within the same person depending on what they're in the mood for at the time) and focus more on just making the things you'd like to make.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    1. All the time, I tend to build boxes lol. Still working on that haha.
    2. Traditional is usually my go to.
    3. Depends on which family the house is for. I wish there were some nicer small houses.
    4. Nope
    5. I like to see the builder’s personal style incorporated into the design.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    I download houses pretty often since I seem to be a terrible architect.
    What's I'd really love is to find houses that are unfurnished the way they'd be in RL, still having fixtures and major appliances. Most houses have waaaayyyy too much stuff, but then if you place them unfurnished, there's no sinks, toilets, counters, ovens, showers.. etc.
  • Options
    lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    Thanks for all the responses! It's been interesting to see your preferences.
    PDWxp40.jpg
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,613 Member
    edited August 2018
    1) Whenever I need a house, though on rare occasions I will build my own.
    2) I like traditional mostly, family homes/farm houses.
    3) I tend to have large families more often and like 3 or 4 bedrooms.
    4) I have all packs so do not avoid any. I don't mind a bit of MOOing but not over-the-top.
    5) My sims are always poor so I am always on the lookout for starter homes with more than 2 bedrooms - or houses in the $30-$50K range when they can afford a bit more. And I do not like huge houses or ones that are over-the-top expensive. I also like them to be playable rather than just looking pretty.

Quite often I will download a gorgeous house, only to find that the top floor bedrooms are enclosed within a roof space so you can only see inside them by looking downwards from the top. Homes like that, to me, are not playable. Also, if they are an extravagant shape, so when you play with front walls down you will get lots of walls still partly up and blocking your view because of how they are placed - I will not play in a house like that.

I tend to mostly play from one angle (usually the front, like a traditional dolls house irl) and do not like things blocking my view. And I also hate ceiling lights and have to delete every single one, cos I'm weird like that :D

Edit - Oh yeah, forgot to say - I really have to have a little landscaping too. Doesn't have to be anything much, maybe just a pathway with a tree or a few flowers. But if I download a house and it has absolutely nothing outside I will delete it without even looking inside it.

Gosh, I just realised that I am really fussy!!
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I always download lots because I don’t have very much time to play, and find building tedious. I like all types of styles, but really prefer single story houses which can be hard to find. I like at least two bedrooms and a room for an office (I lock the door so guests don’t flock to the computer). I also appreciate a nicely decorated yard area. I don’t avoid MOO mostly because I like to do a bit of redecorating to fit my/sims style anyway. Lots of packs are fine for me since I have all but one, and it’s nice to not have to update them for each pack myself.
  • Options
    KittensMeow10KittensMeow10 Posts: 161 Member
    Pretty much everytime! I love doing interiors but can't design an exterior for the life of me.

Usually I spring for traditional or modern.

I usually go for 3, as I use one for the parents, one for the child (I prefer only one child), and an extra room I use as an office/skill room.

I do typically avoid lots that use content from packs I don't own. MOO is okay aslong as the house is functional still.

It's all about preference. For me, I like 2 floors maximum, because I hate jumping between floors and not being able to easily keep track of my sims. For the same reason I also prefer a small house. As mentioned in a previous reply, many simmers (including me) only play from one angle, so having objects blocking one another makes gameplay a little more difficult. Usually I place houses unfurnished and do the interior myself, but some times the way the walls are placed blocks the view.

Happy building!
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Fairly often.. more when I'm setting up for characters from movies, tv or other fictional works.
    Whatever fits the bill. I've downloaded all of the above.. well not fairy.
    Whatever makes sense.. I tend to play single or small households though so unless I'm setting a full house that just needs a house but I don't intend to play them I avoid huge builds.
    I have everything so I look for builders that use all the packs. I do avoid MOO but will try it from time to time if it's the only build that matches my search. If it's used excessively I usually just delete the whole build now. Not worth the trouble or frustration.
    I look for playtested builds. The more clutter especially in a pricey build the more lag in playing. If it looks like a little sprouting jungle from neighborhood view there is probably too much MOO there...

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    I'm very appreciative of these responses. I think what I'm getting is that for the most part, the majority of people who download house lots are looking for a maximum of 4 bedrooms (so 1-4 bedroom lots) and smaller lots preferred (so probably nothing over 40x30). As far as MOO is concerned, most seem to be OK with some use of MOO but heavy use of MOO is probably a negative thing. Also I now realize that anything which makes viewing angles difficult such as roofing cover all the walls or decorative objects which stay in view even with the walls down, is probably also a negative.
    PDWxp40.jpg
  • Options
    joelygirlsims2joelygirlsims2 Posts: 48 Member
    edited August 2018
    1) When I'm looking for something new for my sims to live in and I'm tired of the ones I'm using.
    2) I like a variety of styles, but tend to move toward ones that are basic inside so I can put my own style into the place. I also prefer smaller houses over large ones, but like room to for a large garden.
    3) 1 to 3 bedrooms is my preference, though I'd go for more if the house fits into what I'm looking for.
    4) I have most packs, so that's ok by me. MOO doesn't bother me either as long as it's not overdone. I also prefer no CC. I'm super picky about what CC I use so my game runs smoothly.
    5) I'm not the best when it come to designing houses, so I truly appreciate all the work that builders put into making great houses for our sims to live in :)
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited August 2018
    Occasionally.

I wouldn't say I go for one style in particular.

At least three, if it's for a family.

I don't avoid lots with packs I don't have. I've never had any issues there. I don't like an overuse of MOO, but I use it myself sometimes. Mainly, I can't stand when there's clipping and routing issues/weirdness due to MOO.

This is more of a personal thing, but over-cluttering is the worst and most common thing I encounter with gallery houses. There's a house that looks lived-in, and then there's a house that looks like the decorations category threw up on it. Not every little space needs to be filled with something.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,014 Member
    I don't download very many houses, but I usually look for a cute starter with a couple of bedrooms or a 3-4 bedroom non starter. I use some houses unfurnishedI don't mind some moo, but some overuse it. I am in the process of getting all the packs since I just got my new gaming laptop about a month ago, and I love various content from many packs.. I really like houses that have Windenburg type outside walls, I want room for a small laundry room in my houses. More than anything though I like looking for commercial lots, I have many in my game..... Restaurants, retail, science spots, parks, bars, lounges, spas etc. I love unique ideas, I have a Grand Canyon spa, a Dragon Inn, a chompy Cheese, and another restaurant that has a slip n slide and such in it, a lot called the fishing spot for Granite falls and others that I have downloaded. So I look for unique items. I built a hospital/ mall with others' rooms because I had a problem finding something like that to download, and I had an idea of what I wanted in it, but it takes me forever to do a project and I don't particularly like building, unless I am bored of playing. I would rather use things built by others normally. I will be looking for a bowling ally soon, and a place for scout meetings, a florist shop, and a skating rink, and also need. to find a good little retail bakery. I like mixed activities at my commercial lots. I also like wedding places ( indoor and out) and vacation lots
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited August 2018
    I like to download unfurnished houses most of the time. I'm not the best at building and am usually too lazy to even attempt it, but I still like to decorate my Sim's own space. What style, how many rooms, etc. really depends on the family that I'm playing. I usually like to have a few more rooms than Sims in the household, but even that's not something I do for every household. I don't pay attention to which packs are used since I have them all, but if there are too many routing issues from using MOO and I want a pre-furnished house for some reason, I will just find something else.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    1) All the time, I have wayyyyy too many downloads
    2) Mostly traditional but sometimes modern
    3) At least two to three bedrooms
    4) No
    5) Just create what you want and don't be afraid to try new things.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Depends. I usually build my own homes but if I'm trying to fill my world pretty fast then I'll download from the gallery.

I like traditional houses for sure. I don't like all my houses looking like each other. I'm a big fan of Victorian builds.

At least 3. I need the houses to have space for all my growing families, and even if I have single sims I like them to have rooms for guests or hobbies.

No, I usually furnish my own homes so I don't mind if they use MOO. I also have most packs so I'm not usually worried about that either. I also look to see if it's been playtested.

These are just my preferences; I don't like dark rooms because it's hard to see what's in it on the gallery. I also won't download houses with pictures taken at night. Do a run through with a sim to make sure the sim can navigate the house, and have fun with it. :) You can't go wrong with showing off your creativity.

Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    taffy550taffy550 Posts: 666 Member
    1) When I start a new game. 2) Victorian to modern. Doesn't matter as long as it's pretty. 3) 3 or more. 4) I own all the packs. I tend to download homes that use all the packs. Yes, I'm that lazy. lol 5) Playability is rule #one. It has to have at least a small basement for vampire sleeping. Not too much clutter. Most of the homes are amazing. I can't imagine how long it takes u guys. So, thanks to all the builders. Otherwise my sims would be living in boxes.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,569 Member
    edited August 2018
    1. I can’t build for the life of me, but I also don’t download much because I don’t like downloading houses because the builders use MOO/mods and cc a lot. I would like to download some lots from the gallery but these really put me off.
    2. I like traditional homes, mission homes and very rarely do I enjoy modern type homes.
    3. I usually like 3-4 bedrooms in a home. I like having a household of 4-5 sims and I like my sims to have space.
    4. Yes, I’ve once downloaded a home that had a sofa with a small ottoman was attached to couch to create L shaped couch but doing that made that couch obsolete. Yes it’s creative but I’d enjoy something that is functional. I also do not own all the packs, I only purchase the ones I like so if a lot has a lot of packs, I get upset but I’ll keep it in mind if I do get a pack.
    5. In the description please include the names of the EP/SP/GP you’ve used. Also if you can please don’t make the budget to afford it extremely high. Once downloaded a lot worth over 150k.

There was a challenge on The Sims 4 Reddit where builders were to make a home with 2 rooms and the budget was a maximum of 90k(?) I forgot, but they were only allowed to use 1 SP or GP of your choice AND 1 EP of your choice. That was really fun and interesting.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,899 Member
    Usually I will build myself, but I have downloaded and placed some really nice houses in different saves.

Mostly modern, open houses with lots of space for expansion

Depends. I like small families, or even just singles/couples. Also, my vampires never sleep. Bedrooms are just for show, I can plop down a coffin anywhere, if needed for a quick nap. Although it looks good, I don't need a vampire dungeon.

Packs don't matter. Its difficult to avoid MOO, as it seems every builder use it. Its OK for gardens or a bit of clutter, anything more and I'll replace the house with another. I don't use MOO myself.

Things that are annoying to me, and will make me NOT download/use a house:
    - Anything that blocks the view of the house during play.
    - Too much MOO.
    - Too much light that I can't figure out where comes from. I've had a house that my sims looked completely white, even after I removed the ceiling lamps. No idea where that light came from.
    - Functionality is more important to me than how the house looks, interior wise.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Oh someone mentioned basements. If it has a starter basement at least that's a plus. Sometimes it's hard to build in a basement staircase around the structure that's there. I guess that's another #5 for me.
    egTcBMc.png