Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pet Lifespan

Does anyone else think that pet's lifespans seem a little short? One of the gurus said in the livestream that pets will only live 3-4 weeks (5-6 if they start as a puppy). I thought they lived longer in previous pet expansions, but maybe it just sounds shorter. What do you guys think? Is this length normal for pets or has it been shortened?
Gallery ID: floridameerkat
Family trees:
Young
Pearce
Niner

Comments

• Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Sounds about right to me, a sim from birth to elder lives 12 weeks so I think it would be too long if pets lived longer. Not saying I'll be emotionally ready to say goodbye at that point though.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    It sounds about right to me also. A old age dog in real life can be 6 to 8 years old if they are a Great Dane or a Irish Wolfhound. A small dog will live around 12-15 years.
  • Options
    floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    It sounds about right to me also. A old age dog in real life can be 6 to 8 years old if they are a Great Dane or a Irish Wolfhound. A small dog will live around 12-15 years.

How does this translate into Sim time?
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    Sounds about right to me, a sim from birth to elder lives 12 weeks so I think it would be too long if pets lived longer. Not saying I'll be emotionally ready to say goodbye at that point though.

I guess I never realized it was that short. It seems like they live forever, at least in my games. So, that would mean that pets would live about half as long as a sim born in-game. I guess that is about right; I was just hoping they'd stick around longer. I might have to change my aging setting to long once the pack comes out.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Well, think about it. How long does it take for a sims to die as a elder? The pets are only going to be a low percentage of that. Granted, the pets will all have the same life span.
  • Options
    ashleyl2203ashleyl2203 Posts: 322 Member
    Just turn off aging.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    It's surprising at first but looking back that sounds pretty accurate especially with past games. In TS3, dogs lived for roughly 45/46 days on the normal setting. Think cats lived longer by a few days. So from a pup/kitten to elder 5-6 weeks sounds about right.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I can't really give you a correct answer without seeing the gameplay. They did say a puppy or kitten stage was two days in the broadcast. It was also the shortest stage because they wanted the longer stages to be for the adults and elders.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    But is the lifespan related to the one you use with your sims? I mean, if my sims have the long lifespan, then shouldn't pets live longer, too?
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    kati77 wrote: »
    But is the lifespan related to the one you use with your sims? I mean, if my sims have the long lifespan, then shouldn't pets live longer, too?

Yes that appears to be the case. Basically pets don't have their own lifespan setting (i.e. they share the sims' lifespan settings). So whatever lifespan you have for your current save, your pets will follow suit. How much long they'll live is unknown atm.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    kati77 wrote: »

Yes that appears to be the case. Basically pets don't have their own lifespan setting (i.e. they share the sims' lifespan settings). So whatever lifespan you have for your current save, your pets will follow suit. How much long they'll live is unknown atm.

Sounds good. I mean, a pet with always the same very short lifespan with humans living on long lifespans wouldn't really make sense :)
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Does anyone know what the lifespan would be if set to long? I assume the 5-6 weeks pets & 12 weeks for sims is the normal setting?
  • Options
    No, it is still not known. They did say 2 days for the puppy or kitten on the broadcast. Hopefully a Guru will answer this.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Ok. Let's do a little math.
    1 week is seven days.
    So, the life of the pets lasts about 21-28 days when created as an adult and about 35-42 days if created/born as a kitten/puppy.
    And they said that puppy stage is 2 days, so the other life stages should last for 33-40 days... Wait a minute. This doesn't make any sense.
    21-28 days when created as an adult and 35-42 days when as kitten/puppy. This should mean that kitten and puppy stage lasts for 14 days.
    Is this 2 days for the short lifespan? No, it can't be. Short lifespan is two times shorter than normal, and 14/2=7. Ok, let's do some more math.
    Long lifespan is 4 times longer than normal. So, 14/4=3.5~4. And 4/2=2. So I think normal should be 4 days (I think).
    Ok. Now I'm confused. SimGuru, please help! :s:'(
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    If we go by the above 6 weeks for pets and 12 weeks for sims on normal setting then I think long would be about 23 weeks(162+ days) for pets(according to sims wiki the long lifespan for sims is 324+ days so about 46 weeks). No idea about individual life stages. Maybe that is half of sims as well? 12 days long setting as baby, 6 days as puppy or kitten on long setting?
    Though you could turn off aging until you want the puppy/kitten to age up?
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    samlyt22 wrote: »

Agreed. The average worldwide life expectancy is around 70 years....as high as low 80s in several parts of the world. The average life expectancy for most dog breeds is 10-13 years....with a few breeds being 6-9 years. So a dog’s life expectancy is around 14-16% of a human’s life expectancy. Comparing that to 12 sim weeks is about 12-14 days for dogs. Cat’s have a 12-15 year average age life expectancy. Even taking the high end of 15 years would be 16-18 days compared to the 12 sim weeks of our sims. So if they went be real-life comparisons, our sim pets would live less than 3 weeks. If they are giving us 5-6 weeks for pets, then the lifespan is almost double what it would realistically be....which I’m completely fine with as it gives us more time with our pets.
  • Options
    raybagginsraybaggins Posts: 30 New Member
    all this maths, omg.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    raybaggins wrote: »
    all this maths, omg.

I agree. LOL.

I don't even know I clicked on this thread. I play with aging off. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Rae357 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the lifespan would be if set to long? I assume the 5-6 weeks pets & 12 weeks for sims is the normal setting?

Long is 4x Normal.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    I hope MCC updates the custom age duration for dogs and cats.

That's like one of the best mods ever. I truly believe mods and creators will come up with something.
  • Options
    I hope MCC updates the custom age duration for dogs and cats.

That's like one of the best mods ever. I truly believe mods and creators will come up with something.

I'm sure the creator will include a section of MCCC that's entirely for pets. I can't wait to see what they come up with.
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Well, it sounds pretty normal to me. For the last couple of days I've been playing TS3, because I wanted to remind myself how dogs and cats look and behave there. I must admit that the lifespan there seems short, but also acceptable, if you know what I mean. Also, kind of irrelevant, but how can I go back to TS3 CAP when I've seen the TS4 one? I mean, the feelings... ;)
  • Options
    ChaosMasterRoseChaosMasterRose Posts: 53 Member
    edited April 2019
    The lifespan is like this in my Bowie family:
    David Bowie becomes an Elder in 5 days, Bowie Stardust(their cat) is already an elder, the cat's been old for 3-5 game days max...Lifespan is on Normal, so David Bowie will die of Old Age 10 days after becoming Elderly, Bowie Stardust...I'll be shocked if he dies when I load the family today.
    His wife, Destiny Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Thomas Jerome Newton and Ziggy Stardust all have the Immortal CC trait, so none of them will die or age, I prepared for their cat's death by adoping a female cocker spaniel puppy I named Brandy Bowie, for the cat, I wanted Bowie to die in peace, so I disabled Witnessing Death for their cat using MC Command Center, but I'll reset Witnessing Death to Enabled once David Bowie gets old, as he'll most likely want his wife by his side.
    More to the point, seeing my cat die in the game will devastate me, as I live with two 15 year old cats irl, one is deaf, his name is Digit, his brother is named Ezra(I nicknamed Ezra "Bowie Z," though), we're all saying Digit will go first because he's already lost his hearing...Our Youngest cat, Sammy, is only 3 years old, so he has a long way to go before he gets old.
    Whenever my Sims/Pets get old, my game likes to jumpscare me into thinking that they're dying, why is the game such a jerk to me?!
  • Options
    queenvortex808queenvortex808 Posts: 1,033 Member
    It seems a bit like real life as dogs can't become 100 years old and age with you..... sadly. It depends on what lifespan length setting you are playing on. I think the lifespan is okay.
    I play on PS4! Otaku here! From the lands of Canada 🇨🇦
    Haha, you clicked, now you have to read all my Sword Art Online fan fiction!