May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Real estate question?

Hi all, My sim purchased an apt. building in Bridgeport and I'm wondering if she is supposed collect rent from families that live there because I never see any money going to her for rent. I decided to let her go visit there to see what's going on and to see if anyone is even living there. I wasn't sure how that worked. I did have her go to her computer and electronically collect deeds and she got money for that but I think that's something different than rent, am I right? Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Hi,

When you purchase any residential lot, you are simply purchasing the right to have your Sims live there too. So when you bought the apartment, all you bought was 1 apartment. There is no option (without mods) to collect rent and be a landlord on any type of residential lot.

Are you using a mod at all?
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    Darstan64Darstan64 Posts: 433 Member
    Oh, I thought that meant when she purchased the apt. building it was the whole building with all the apts. in it. Yes, I'm using story progression. Is there a different mod to collect rent and be a landlord?
  • Options
    Story progression won't give you the option to collect rent. As for what mod will, maybe check for a custom career mod? I'm not sure, it's not something I've ever wanted in my own games. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a better answer on that part :)
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    You might want to take a look at these mods. I don't use them myself though.

Apartments and Roommates Fix: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=554197

NRaas StoryProgression Money module (requires the SP base mod): http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression+Money+Phase+Seventeen
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Darstan64 wrote: »
    Oh, I thought that meant when she purchased the apt. building it was the whole building with all the apts. in it. Yes, I'm using story progression. Is there a different mod to collect rent and be a landlord?

That would be alot of dough if it worked that way.Other than Bridgeport a apartment lot placed in any other world automatically houses every NPC M/F of firefighter,maid,police,robber,social worker,handyman,newspaper deliverer,babysitter,etc plus every EA made homeless sim for that world and every generated sim used to fill roles. :D You would be rich after one rent payment and retire and own your own island.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    The NPCs don't really "live" in those LN/Bridgeport type units and pay rent though (with SP Money, I mean), it's an illusion that they reside there to make the lot look like a busy apartment building. For the NPCs, it's a place to go instead of off the map to hibernate when their services are not being called upon. There are game performance related benefits for setting things up that way, but collecting rent from the NPC service "household" I'm afraid isn't one of them.

With SP Money, you can become another sim's landlord by purchasing their house out from under them. But it's one unit per residential lot, there are no multi-unit residential lots in TS3 unless you start adding other apartment mods.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    If you have university, you could always build an apartment type house, and turn on roomate services. Then they pay rent, and you could have your sim live there as "landlord" and fix all the broken appliances, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks TreyNutz, I do use the story progression/money part of the mod because I use it for child support payments in my game. I will check out the other mod (apts. and roommates fix) and CravenLestat yes that is funny and you are right lol. Thanks for your help :) Igazor I just got story progression and haven't had a chance to check out all the settings to use for the "money" part of it so not sure how to become a landlord. I do know Bridgeport doesn't have much room and my household was getting kind of full so I had to age up a teenage sim to young adult and move her out with her brother who is a child but I had to evict someone out of their house first in order to do it. Goulsquash yes I have university I never attempted to build an apt. building, maybe sometime I might try it but thanks for your help also :)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Regarding the housing situation in Bridgeport, if there are any community lots your sims never use, you could bulldoze some of them when you need to add more housing. I always bulldoze the community lots from other EP's that get placed when I start a new game there, so I can use those lots for more housing. If I needed one of them for my own sim's career, I'd keep that one, but usually if I'm going to play any of those careers, I do it in some other town.
  • Options
    Thanks so much IreneSwift :)
  • Options
    Forgot to ask you IreneSwift, if I bulldoze a community lot in Bridgeport where I'm playing is it possible to bulldoze it over to remove everything and then can I place a house down? I'm not too familiar with edit town stuff and world editor and all that. Bridgeport is a pain when it comes to empty houses, there seems to be nothing in that town and I have a pretty large save file. I've been playing a while and what I wanted to do was put a bigger house down for my sim's 2 children that I moved out. I moved out my daughter when she reached young adult along with her brother and now they need a bigger house because he's a teen now and she is starting a romance and theres only one bedroom in the house. Also I don't have master controller only story progression so what would be the right way to move the teen out - do I have to switch households and then try to find another house or apt. for him to move into or bulldoze another lot and place another house down? Thanks so much for any help :)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    If you bulldoze a community lot, you only need to do it once, in Edit Town. If you bulldoze it again, you'll lose it. But to place a residential lot where a community lot was, first you have to change the lot type to residential.

You don't need to switch households to move your teen out. First, find or place the house or apartment for him. If you have to bulldoze a lot to place one, go ahead and do that. You'll need the house already in place before you make the move. I'd try the phone/computer move first, and if it works, good, you're done.

If not, then moving him out in Edit Town will be the way to go. Click on the household in Edit Town and select Split Up Household. The icon shows two sims with a vertical line between them. Select the teen and move him to the clipboard. Then click on the teen in the clipboard, who is now a household by himself, and choose to place him. You will need to use the free real estate cheat if he doesn't have enough money for the house. Click on the house, accept, and he's all moved in. When you return to the game, he'll probably still be at your sims' house, but he will leave on his own at some point, or you can have someone ask him to leave.

If you're not familiar with the free real estate cheat, first you bring up the cheat box with ctrl+shift+c. Type in FreeRealEstate and click enter. Now you can place him in any house, and whatever bit of cash he has, he'll get to keep all of it.

Now, I just want to say, I have played with teen households before, which I prepared ahead by making them with an adult, placing them in any town, doing away with the adult in one way or another, and saving the teen alone as a household to the library to place in the town I want them in. I also just now chose a household with a teen in it to see if what I told you to do would work. The only thing that kept him from moving with the phone was that he was only allocated $375, and free real estate only works in edit town. I also tested and successfully moved the same teen, with the same $375, in Edit Town. However, I have the NRaas Mover mod, which allows teen households. So if there is some reason you can't move him by himself in Edit Town, that would be the reason I can do it and you can't. I would think though, that since I've saved teen households to the library and placed them as I described above, before I had any mods at all, Edit Town should work. If it doesn't you can still move him to the clipboard in Edit Town and merge him with another household instead of placing him in a home of his own.

Another way would be to go to Edit Town and enter CAS. Make a new household with just one sim and accept them. Instead of placing the new sim in the town, select to merge them, then select your current active household. Instead of moving the new sim in with your active family, move the teen out to the clipboard with the new sim. Then place them together in the house you've chosen. Your teen won't be living alone, but at least he'll still be around and keep his relationships.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I never realized you could place teen only households from the Library bin without a mod that allows for them. @IreneSwift had me totally lost there for a bit (not unusual, I get confused easily these days) until she mentioned NRaas Mover, that's the one that allows a teen only split from Edit Town without the game blocking things. Or of course there's the MasterController Add Sim way but that doesn't apply if you don't want the MC mod.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all your info! I will print out what you said and try it step by step lol, thank you! :)