Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The fate of the Sims franchise

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ElokaEloka Posts: 184 Member
    A lot of people who favour sims 2 really didn't care for open world, myself included.

The whole "if sims 4 fails there is be no sims 5" is just fear mongering, there will be a sims 5 and hopefully EA will realise you can't cut corners (or content) with a franchise such as this.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I think TS5 might happen.

I feel that both TS3 and TS4 are branches from TS2, they're experiments in two very different directions, and what has been learned from them, hopefully, will lead to a middle ground.

I'm hoping that one of the things learned is a blend of open world and the almost open hoods of TS4. It would be nice to have 6-10 lots that you can visit, without a loading screen between them. It would make for a nice compromise between the computer crashing, too much going on at once that we had in TS3, and the frustration of not being able to control your whole household while they visit other lots, all at the same time, with no loading in between.

We've seen the heavy, we now have the lite. They may try one more time. I won't be at all surprised if they do.
    I'd be more surprised if they don't.

mmt3363 wrote: »
    TS4 is an okay game if you look at it for what it is rather than what it's missing. It's pretty. It runs smoothly. It has enjoyable features in their own right.
    I kind of have to agree with you on that. It really does run smoothly, for all that it lacks things, it is very smooth.

But none of it is a game changer for me the way TS3 was. TS3 changed the way I played, it changed my expectations for the series, it broadened my horizons for what I thought a life simulator could be. Even with the glitchiness and issues with TS3's engine, it is still, in my opinion, a much more immersive and imaginative game series than any other Sims game past or present. I'll gladly play the Sims 3 till I die if EA/Maxis never provides me with something better.
    And I do agree with you here, not even needing my arm twisted to do so.
    I only really had issues with TS3 when I added IP and too much CC, up until then, it ran ok. I'll probably end up installing it again, because TS4 is not as addictive as TS1, TS2 and TS3.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Movotti One thing we have learnt from TS3, and hear me out on this, is that Open World can work, customisation is popular and providing enough variety in expansion will sale.

What we have learnt from TS4 is that 'players will buy anything with The Sims on it' (that is the third time I have said that today already) although cutting corners does not work and it is clear that improvements are possible, interaction between players is crucial. :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    What we really should say is that if Sims 5 fails, there will be no Sims 6. A lot of people, including me, are dissatisfied with the direction the Sims series is going. Sims 4 has been a major disappointment to us, but we're willing to give EA/Maxis another shot to restore the series to what it was. However if they screw up again and fail with Sims 5, that'll be the end of the series.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    What we really should say is that if Sims 5 fails, there will be no Sims 6. A lot of people, including me, are dissatisfied with the direction the Sims series is going. Sims 4 has been a major disappointment to us, but we're willing to give EA/Maxis another shot to restore the series to what it was. However if they screw up again and fail with Sims 5, that'll be the end of the series.

Yes, it would be 'the final straw' for a lot of players so my main advice, as a player of the series with a great deal of experience is that for They Sims to work there needs to be a good deal of consideration about the feedback provided. Now it is easy to brush the dev team off and say 'they aint listening' but take a look at Kids Room SP and the nannies. I do not doubt for a second that these 'family play' related contents would have not made it had it been for player's feedback.

So yes, they are listening and we can show faith in them so The Sims 5 could be a successful Sims game :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Sims 3 was the worst of the first 3 games (critically and commercially) and its biggest features were Open World and CASt.

Clearly they weren't enough to sell the game, so EA scrapped them as "selling points" of the franchise.

The Sims 2 sold over 20 million on all platforms as of 2007(?) while the Sims 3 halfed that and sold over 10 million as of 2014 on all platforms (it was also released to more platforms too).

While it would be good to have those things (if they actually worked and Devs made them work), EA has a clear sales stratergy.
    If something doesn't work, or sell the game, they often choose to remove it, than to make it work.

Open World's issues, CAST's lag issues, SimCity's online issues, The Sims Urbz flopping (even though the reason why it flopped was because the Sims 2 overshadowed it) etc. I could go on.

If EA make another Sims game, my #1 prediction is that Multitasking will not be in the game as it is in 4.
    They will program more options individually for certain objects (eg. Listening to music while cooking). But they will remove it as a default for the entire game.

LOLOLOLOL

Please, just stop, or your going to make me die of laughter. That is such a lie, I literally can't even. What people tell themselves to like TS4 better/to hate on TS3....lol

And as far as I know TS4 only sold around 5 million which is a half of what TS3 had.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @Movotti One thing we have learnt from TS3, and hear me out on this, is that Open World can work, customisation is popular and providing enough variety in expansion will sale.
    That's what I mean, the open world worked fine for some people, but others did have problems, which is why I think they'll be more likely to have smaller open neighbourhoods, rather than whole worlds. I think a lot of people loved the open worlds, and those few who didn't had slower machines
    What we have learnt from TS4 is that 'players will buy anything with The Sims on it'
    I think I may have accidentally become one of those people. :/
    interaction between players is crucial. :smile:
    I think you mean listening to players.
    It's very obvious that people want certain things in the game, and they've been very vocal about asking for demanding what they want.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    tonicmole wrote: »
    There are very strong rumors that Sims 5 is currently in development for the Xbox One and PS 4, and will be ported to PC later. At least hinting at a shortened Sims 4 life cycle, or possible delayed launch of Sims 5 on PC.

Every one of such rumours I've seen is from a little circle of non-mainstream online tech site that only cite each other as sources. It's clickbait, not rumour grounded in anything at all. They just change the content of the rumour slightly every couple of months. (Last winter it was about Xbox and PS ports for Sims 4)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    Ok, first off, every product has a life cycle. During said life cycle a product hits a stage where it's in decline. Part of what companies do to keep the product around and relevant is to refresh/reinvent it. I feel like that's what the sims 4 is for this franchise and also why everyone complains that it's so different/lacking in comparison to the other games. So with that in mind, it's my understanding that financially the sims 4 is doing fine so I don't see any "end of the franchise" silliness coming to fruition.
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    Note: I would like to reference my statement about the policing of the forums again. This topic, as of early this morning, was booted to the Off Topic section. Even though it is a general discussion about the success and failings of TS4 and what that could mean for the continuation of the series, and has remained very much on topic in the majority. Suppression of negative feedback and opinions at it's finest.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    This thread is nonsense. If open world was a deal killer, EA/Maxis wouldn't have rolled out The Sims 4 in the first place. While you're here bickering about whether or not there will be a Sims 5, I'm going to just wait out the final couple of hours and download the new stuff pack from Origin. o:)
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    edited July 2016
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    This thread is nonsense. If open world was a deal killer, EA/Maxis wouldn't have rolled out The Sims 4 in the first place. While you're here bickering about whether or not there will be a Sims 5, I'm going to just wait out the final couple of hours and download the new stuff pack from Origin. o:)

It's your right to disagree with any and all things said here, but it isn't your right to rudely antagonize the people who are actually contributing to this discussion.

This topic clearly wasn't for you if you have nothing better to add than your gloating and insults. Please take several seats and read the community guidelines. Flame baiting and insulting your fellow simmers is prohibited.
  • Options
    LillirethLillireth Posts: 351 Member
    @Ravager619 I have been following this thread since it was moved to this forum, and while I haven't commented myself up until now, I can't see that people are "bickering". It's mostly been a constructive conversation, one which I find interesting as I've learned a few new things that I didn't previously know. I would rather like to see people continuing to discuss things, and if you would rather go download your content, you should go do that instead since you don't have anything to contribute to the topic.

@mmt3363 I find it interesting that this topic was moved to Off Topic. It's just like you mentioned before.
  • Options
    cry0wr1ghtcry0wr1ght Posts: 16 Member
    Update: It’s 2019 and Sims 4 is still garbage.
  • Options
    CharliecheesenurgersCharliecheesenurgers Posts: 3,673 Member
    edited March 2019
    @cry0wr1ght Hi there! You're new and probably don't know this, but it is against the forum rules to post on a thread that hasn't been active for a long time. I suggest reviewing the rules of the forums and be wary of this next time! Thanks! Here's a link to the rules.
    Come Join our mafia games in the off-topic chat! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930404/mafia-masterlist#latest
    It's a lot of fun!
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Please don't necropost in old threads. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2016, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top