Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim not aging

Okay, so a little bit ago, I modified the lifespan settings for my game using this method.

When I go into Game options (and looking at my Sim's individual lifespan tracker), all the correct numbers are there, the ones I changed them too.
And I do have aging turned on.

However, I just noticed that it's stuck. Days go by, but my Sim still has the same amount of days listed till aging up. So she's not getting any older. Same thing with her dog.

Should I try editing the file again? Are some of my mods interfering? (Which I doubt, because when I first noticed this, all I had was Traveler and Written Word so far). Is something else wrong?

Hope someone can shed some life into this, because I would really love to keep my custom lifespan settings and not just use the default epic one or whatever.

Comments

• Options
    picklesthecat114picklesthecat114 Posts: 2,690 Member
    edited September 2015
    I'm not too 'techy', but I would re-edit your file again, because it seems like you have done something wrong (just a thought)

Or try tuning of ageing and turning it on again?
    Lantern-flying-in-Tangled.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yes, do try switching aging off and on again in Game Options.

The game does not do a very good job of managing aging by itself and things can/do get often get stuck for many players.

NRaas MasterController can tell you if your sim is really aging or not; sometimes the sim info tab you see in-game is not accurate.
    NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Status > Personal

StoryProgression allows much more flexibility with respect to which sims and households are allowed to age.
    Overwatch routinely checks for and reports on age-stuck sims, and more forcefully shoves birthdays on them when they are overdue.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    Thanks, I shall try that.
  • Options
    Not sure if turning it on and off worked... Nothing has changed within the info tab.

When I have a few more days pass by, I'll check age through MasterController and see if it's at least correct there. I looked the one time, so I'm not sure until I check back later if it's changing yet.

Not sure if Overwatch would help in this instance, as my lifespan settings are so long for the various stages. (Young adult is 660 days; my Sim has been stuck on 600 days left for a little while now).
  • Options
    It's possible that your household needs a good reset. That can be a MC reset (it won't hurt them) or you could do it the old fashioned way. Retreat to Edit Town, evict your household to the side of the screen, copy their lot down to the bin, bulldoze the original, replace it with a copy, and move everyone back in without having left the screen.

Either one has been known to fix sim households who aren't aging when they should be.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    So what exactly does the MC reset do, then? You say it won't harm them; so everything remains the same? Just kind of a mini reboot?

If I would go the Edit Town route, would anything I have in her family inventory stay there? (Am thinking of some furniture and other items I did custom style on, so I wouldn't have to restyle later). Because if I have to bulldoze the house anyway, I might as well build something I like better. (Something I had planned on eventually doing).

But first, I'll just check in with the profile on MC to see if the aging is at least showing correctly there. Or maybe even try the Overwatch thing.
  • Options
    A testingcheatsenabled reset clears a sim's action queue, sends them back to a safe place on their home lot, and...well, really not much more than that, maybe a couple of little things.

A MC reset, in addition to the above, rebuilds the sim, object, or lot entirely based on the data it has at the time. Along the way, it breaks any stuck scenarios that might be running in the background involving that sim, resets various kinds of status flags (like aging), and releases any objects in the world that the sim may have locked because the game thinks they are still "in use" (doors and chairs, for example) even though they really aren't. The sim's motives get reset and they may lose an Opportunity if they were working on one, but that doesn't always happen. Sims don't lose any progress, memories, or anything truly important as a result of a reset unless they were hopelessly corrupt and unplayable to begin with.

I find that I have to MC reset most of my worlds entirely every 8 sim weeks or so just to keep things running smoothly. Some particularly fussy worlds like Isla Paradiso and Bridgeport, maybe a little more often. That resets all sims, lots, and objects in town and can take a good 10-15 minutes to run on a medium sized to large world. Since doing so is intrusive to gameplay, I try to do that in the middle of the night when most of the town would be sleeping or hibernating in their houses anyway.

On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Town > Reset Everything

Evicting the household in Edit Town, replacing their lot with a copy, and moving them back in again doesn't affect personal or household inventories as long as you move them back in while on the same screen and don't attempt to split the household.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    @igazor Thanks, this was helpful.
  • Options
    All righties. I may try that MC reset. Plus that I wouldn't really lose anything. (Was worried about that.)

Even if the aging is correct through her profile in MC, it would be nice to have it correct on the age bar too in the info tab. Easier to look there! haha
  • Options
    Just thought I'd pop in with an update and say that now the aging bar is functioning and showing the correct numbers.

What I did was actually try turning aging on and off again, but this time, I closed it out before going back into options to turn it back. (First time I just clicked on and off without exiting options in between, so I don't think the change took.)

All is good! :)
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    So glad you fixed it. Will keep this in mind in the future if when it happens in my game :D
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    So, resurrecting this, because I'm having a related issue.

But instead of stopping aging... I have Sims whose lifespan is longer than I had it set for.

So a week or so ago in game, one of my Sim's dogs had three puppies. And I just noticed that on their lifespan slider, they are listed with 74, 74, and 76 days to go before aging to adult.
    And in MC, it lists them as 73, 73, 75 days to go for each... and their age as 16, 16, 14, respectively.

Now there are two problems with this.
    One, if they were born at the same time, how can one puppy be two days older?
    And two, I had edited the Options file to have the puppy stage last 60 days (a year in my game). So it should be a number less than 60 on their sliders.

I checked the Options file, and it does still list 60 days in there for the puppy stage.

I already tried turning the aging on and off, in case it might work. It didn't.

So I guess the question is, would a MC reset help this as well? (I know I didn't have to do this before, but maybe this time I will have to).

Tagging in @igazor.

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    If you bring puppies (or any sims) into EA's version of CAS, that is without MC Integration, they will not necessarily emerge with the same age they had in the beginning. If you feed gourmet pet food to pets, there is a chance of them adding a sim day onto their lives but not necessarily with every meal.

Either one possible?

But yeah, I don't get the 73 days to age up thing if the puppy stage is 60. Clearly MC is using 89 as the stage length. Resetting isn't going to hurt them so it's worth a try, but you could also use MC to set all of their Absolute Ages to the same value and see if that fixes things.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hmm, okay. So weird.

Well, I haven't been doing gourmet food, so, haha.

But I will try those, and see what happens.
  • Options
    Well, resetting did nothing, lol.

And I used the Age Absolute to at least make them all 16 days old. However, they're still all at 74 days to go till aging to adult. And it should be 44.
    Can I use the Age Relative to do this? Does it take negative numbers? Or would this just put her in the past and not change the lifespan slider?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    No, Relative Age is meant to be how long a sim has been in their current stage. For puppies, that wouldn't make any difference since that is their first stage of life. But an adult dog who has been an adult for let's say five sim days would have an Absolute Age of 65 and a Relative Age of 5, if your example were working properly.

Are there any other puppies in town and what does it say about them? Sounds to me more like the game is just using 89 for the puppy stage. Oh! (smacks head) Or someone in the household has the Animal Expert LTR that extends pets' lifespans over the specified amounts.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Oh, haha. I DID use that LTR for my Sim. I had totally forgotten about that. I knew it was keeping my goldfish alive longer; forgot the dogs, lol.

Because I was looking around at my two adult dogs, and their age spans for adult were extended as well past what I had set for that stage.

I don't really mind that, keeping the adult dogs adults longer (otherwise wouldn't have used the reward), but it just seems weird to extend the puppies' puppy stage/make it take longer to adult, lol.

Good to know it's not a glitch, haha! But that I did it myself, lolz.
    Post edited by OriginalMara on
  • Options
    And I'm sure your sims' goldfish love you even more for having done all of that for them. :)

(holds head in pain) Next time I have to remember to smack a little more lightly...
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Haha, especially since it has the most creative name of "Goldie 2". (The first one was Goldie but died before I redeemed that reward).
  • Options
    KethKeth Posts: 165 Member
    I wanted to resurrect this as I'm having a similar problem. In the Game Options, I have everyone set to Autoage Up; but no one does. They'll age up within their age category but they won't go to the next Age Category unless I do it manually. While that isn't a big deal for the household I'm playing I don't know what to do about the ones I'm not. The age bar shows the glowiness and says, "This Sim is ready to age up!" but it won't do it on it's own. Do I really have to go to every single house and age every single sim up?
  • Options
    Keth wrote: »
    I wanted to resurrect this as I'm having a similar problem. In the Game Options, I have everyone set to Autoage Up; but no one does. They'll age up within their age category but they won't go to the next Age Category unless I do it manually. While that isn't a big deal for the household I'm playing I don't know what to do about the ones I'm not. The age bar shows the glowiness and says, "This Sim is ready to age up!" but it won't do it on it's own. Do I really have to go to every single house and age every single sim up?

This is for TS3 or TS4? This is a TS3 message board and afraid I don't recognize the age bar glowiness thing though I might have been missing something all this time.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!