Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Idea/Suggestion – Legacy Challenge Mode

Since The Sims 2, Legacies have been one of the most fun and interesting ways to play the game. While they are designed to be played in the normal free form game play there exists now, I think adding a special mode that supports playing a legacy would be really awesome.

Legacy Challenge Mode, or just Challenge Mode, would do many things to help you keep track of your legacy/challenge. A few of the options that I've come up with so far include: Giving you tasks to complete based on what legacies/challenges you are doing, keeping track of your score for you, disallowing cheats, forcing you to play within the legacy/challenge rules, and having a ton of synergy with the My Sim Page/Exchange.

One of the things I'd really LOVE to see with this Challenge Mode is the synergy between it and the My Sim Page and/or the Exchange. Back with TS1 and TS2, I really loved being able to scroll through the Exchange and find stories to read that the community wrote. I still enjoy reading people's stories on sites like Wordpress, but I think it would be much easier to find stories if they were all on the Sims4 site instead. I would love if that could return, and I think Challenge Mode could help with that.

Below I tried to explain in detail what sort of things I'd love to see in a Challenge Mode and if you have any ideas to add or share, I'd love to hear them and potentially add them to the list. I've written this assuming game play will be similar in The Sims 4 as it is in The Sims 3.

Starting a Legacy Challenge:
When you select New Game, you are given two options. Freeplay which is the normal playing style of anything goes like past Sim games, and Challenge Mode.

Selecting Challenge Mode will open up a new menu with a list of different types of legacies or challenges you can do. You can select one to three types of legacies/challenges, (For example a Differences in the Family Tree, Rainbowcy, Perfect Genetics). You could even have just some challenges set to do instead of a full blown legacy, for example the Family Man challenge. This list could be added to from the Exchange, allowing people to come up with their own challenges and legacies.

Then you are asked how you would like your heir for each generation to be determined. (Obviously if you select the option Perfect Genetics, it will automatically name your heir as the sim that comes out with the Perfect Genetics.) But say you just selected a normal legacy. It would ask you if you would like your heir to be randomly determined, you get to choose yourself, or if it will be picked via poll on your My Sim Page.

The last option would be a yes/no question of “would you like to make your legacy a story that will be uploaded onto your My Sim Page and/or Exchange” so the community could read it. This would give you the ability to take screenshots and write stories right from the game and upload them to your My Sim Page to be edited there later.

How Challenge Mode would work:
Challenge Mode does not allow cheats or mods to be used.

Challenge Mode gives you “tasks” to complete based on what legacy/challenge selections you have made.
Examples: For a Differences in the Family Tree, the first task would be to learn the gardening skill.
For a Family Man challenge, the first task would be to find your first lover.

Challenge Mode always randomly assigns traits to children, unless legacy rules specify otherwise.

Challenge Mode will keep track of your score for you and upload it to your My Sim Page. This could even open up opportunities to create a Leaderboard for challenge scores for various types of challenges/legacies. (Though I'd prefer it to be non-competitive and just fun.)

After successfully completing a Challenge Mode, you have the option to play that save file as a freeplay game, or start a completely new Challenge Mode with those sims.

The My Sim Page on the Sims4 site should have a special tab/page associated with the Challenge Mode to quickly and easily view player's Challenges.

Edit to add: Challenge Mode would not restrict game play beside forcing players to play by the current legacy/challenge rules. It would give tasks that are simply guidelines to help you along with your legacy and keep track of where you are in your legacy/challenge.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please feel free to let me know what you think and add any ideas you might have. :)

Comments

• Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Posts: 64 Member
    edited May 2013
    Reserved for potential future ideas/additions!
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited May 2013
    technically several Legacy people (myself included) perfer being able to ask fellow simmers about who the heir is. Doing it this way don't allow for that.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    technically several Legacy people (myself included) perfer being able to ask fellow simmers about who the heir is. Doing it this way don't allow for that.
    "or if it will be picked via poll on your My Sim Page." It would though!
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    edited May 2013
    I actually like your idea. I love the free play aspect of this game and I'm not willing to give it up but I think this option would mix things up a bit when I become bored. Very interesting idea. :!:
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited May 2013
    Melinoe wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:
    "or if it will be picked via poll on your My Sim Page." It would though!

maybe change 'sims page' to forum. Since if the sims 4 website's 'my pages' are anything like the current Sims 3 'my page' it will not work out.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    DDOAndoraDDOAndora Posts: 245 Member
    edited May 2013
    Why take this out of the hands of player who like to set up and run with a challenge? Please leave this out of the game. The team has a track record of over doing things like this in game. I do not like legacy and feel that it was pushed on me in Sims 3. Please, leave things for the players to do, it makes things more social for the players also. Whole fan sites are built up around this.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    DDOAndora wrote:
    Why take this out of the hands of player who like to set up and run with a challenge? Please leave this out of the game. The team has a track record of over doing things like this in game. I do not like legacy and feel that it was pushed on me in Sims 3. Please, leave things for the players to do, it makes things more social for the players also. Whole fan sites are built up around this.
    Challenge Mode would be completely optional. You wouldn't ever have to use it if you don't want to. It would never affect your main freeplay game.
    MadameLee wrote:
    maybe change 'sims page' to forum. Since if the sims 4 website's 'my pages' are anything like the current Sims 3 'my page' it will not work out.
    Well yes. The My Sim Page would have to be re-vamped for my suggestions to work.
    JoBass24us wrote:
    I actually like your idea. I love the free play aspect of this game and I'm not willing to give it up but I think this option would mix things up a bit when I become bored. Very interesting idea.
    Thank you! No way, I would never want to give up freeplay either!
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    edited May 2013
    I vote no, even though I enjoy playing my legacy. Without my overwatch and story progression mod, playing TS3 would be virtually impossible for me and countless other simmers. If they fixed the bugs (which they should because we shouldn't need a mod to play anyways) maybe.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I vote no, even though I enjoy playing my legacy. Without my overwatch and story progression mod, playing TS3 would be virtually impossible for me and countless other simmers. If they fixed the bugs (which they should because we shouldn't need a mod to play anyways) maybe.
    Yes, this is assuming that TS4 would be bug free, or at least have very few bugs, so you wouldn't need mods to play. But like I said, it would be an optional mode people could play if they wanted to. Free play is of course there to play in also, and you can use mods and cheats to your hearts content.