Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else's game take forever to close?

Ever since I got my game working again with the installation of a new graphics card, it takes forever to close. So long that I just force it to close, causing a "The Sims 3 has stopped working" message to come up. In all actuality, I don't really know how long it takes to close, because I'm not patient enough. After about a minute or two, I go crazy and make it close.

After getting my new card, things are better than before Pets. Graphics are great, load times are short, and I haven't had any crashing or issues. So basically I have no idea why this is happening and it's driving me crazy!

So, does anyone else's game take forever to close?

Comments

• Options
    KayleighmartinKayleighmartin Posts: 754 Member
    edited January 2012
    It used to do it to me when i was on my computer but since i got my laptop its never done it, might be something with the processor or something because on my computer i had i5 but my laptop is i7 and opens and closed in seconds :/ Dunno maybe you should just leave it and see 2 mins isn't really that long xoxo
  • Options
    rgirl1rgirl1 Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited January 2012
    Do you save before quitting? I know it sounds stupid but if you save first then quit it doesn't take as long because it doesn't have to save.
    My game used to take over 5 minutes to close. Then I would get error 12 message so I started doing the save first tnen I would exit without saving. I know it sounds confusing :oops:
  • Options
    jkstensjkstens Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I need to just wait and see how long it takes, you're right.

I just opened it and it took probably less than 30 seconds.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    rgirl1 wrote:
    Do you save before quitting? I know it sounds stupid but if you save first then quit it doesn't take as long because it doesn't have to save.
    My game used to take over 5 minutes to close. Then I would get error 12 message so I started doing the save first tnen I would exit without saving. I know it sounds confusing :oops:

I don't really remember what I do. I'll have to try that, though!

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Well, I tried it again. I saved, then exited without saving. I waited for probably 3-4 minutes, but couldn't stand it any longer. It never closed. The Sims 3 stopped responding and I had to manually close it. :?
  • Options
    Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    edited February 2012
    Weird that it works so well until you close. As another simmer stated saving and quitting together takes longer. My game doesn't close instantly either, but I just let it do it's thing and it eventually closes. Never timed it though. If I remember I will next time.
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited February 2012
    It depends on your computer. My old HP desktop takes forever, but my gaming laptop is instant. Fast computers complete tasks faster :)
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited February 2012
    Taking forever to close has happened to me several times, just randomly. I have no idea why cause it takes about 2-3 minutes to go from opening movie to into saved game, total. I too use save then quit. It's not happening now, just sometimes...weird. :?
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I have a pretty decent computer and just updated my graphics card, I should say. My game is now running with graphics on high, quite smoothly.

2.93 GHZ processor

1 TB Harddrive

8 GB RAM

I don't remember what my graphics card is called, but I'm now wishing I would've bought a more expensive one. The guy at Best Buy said this one would be more than enough.

Do you guys think that could be the cause?

• Options
    misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,267 Member
    edited February 2012
    Do your game take a long time to save when your playing the game ?

I can't really say this may be the issue, but how often do you clean your hard drive and do you have any CC in your game.

new.png
  • Options
    BigBadMushroomBigBadMushroom Posts: 730 New Member
    edited February 2012
    Takes about a minute to save and close down, so no.

Also I'm really bad and save only when closing, I should really close periodically but luckily my games never crash so I don't worry. :P
  • Options
    KarennKarenn Posts: 4,326 Member
    edited February 2012
    i have this too and i always have to use the ctrl alt delete and click on start task manager and close it by that.
  • Options
    BigBadMushroomBigBadMushroom Posts: 730 New Member
    edited February 2012
    jkstens wrote:
    I have a pretty decent computer and just updated my graphics card, I should say. My game is now running with graphics on high, quite smoothly.

2.93 GHZ processor

1 TB Harddrive

8 GB RAM

I don't remember what my graphics card is called, but I'm now wishing I would've bought a more expensive one. The guy at Best Buy said this one would be more than enough.

Do you guys think that could be the cause?

Nope, since your well above the recommended specs for sims 3.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    misty4m wrote:
    Do your game take a long time to save when your playing the game ?

I can't really say this may be the issue, but how often do you clean your hard drive and do you have any CC in your game.

It actually saves like normal and just takes a few seconds, maybe 20 at the most?

I don't have any cc or mods, but I'm not quite sure what cleaning the hard drive means? Like defragmenting? If that's what it is, my computer automatically does that.

Karenn, I have to do just as you described. Hmmm..