Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestions for improving historical gameplay

JALJAL Posts: 1,054 Member
edited November 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
We're not a major group of players who play historical gameplay, and I just recently started myself, but we are still fairly many, who play in a vast array of ways. So how could the experience of the game be improved? I am not a programmer, and I don't know if everything I suggest here is even possible, but some is, and some would even make EA money, so I'm hoping someone picks up a few of these things at least.
  • CAS and BB Kits to fit different time periods. This is the easy one, and EA has opened the door with the medieval build-kit. What we also need is a buy-kit (or stuff pack) with functional off the grid objects, things like toys, sinks, toilets, tubs and stoves that work while still looking medieval. And of course a CAS-kit to go along with it. Other suggestions would be art deco bb kit + the roaring twenties cas kit, art nouveau BB + Edwardian CAS, vintage swimsuit kit, CAS-kits for each of the decades in the 20th century along with bb-kits for some (we have plenty of mid-century modern furniture after all).
  • The ability to turn off and on CAS-items for random. This would be an improvement for everyone, that with a shift-click be able to turn off and on clothes, accessories or hairstyles for random generation on NPCs. It would definitely help historical gameplay, but also just random gameplay where I could disable the CAS I hate from showing up on random NPC sims. (To be fair I'd love more options than this, like hiding and unhiding CAS, disabling it for certain age groups or genders or certain worlds.)
  • Introduction of landline phones and newspapers. We are plenty of people who miss these, even among players who never play historical gameplay.
  • The ability to turn off the mobile phones and laptops. This would work in combination with the above. A simple toggle on and off for the phones and laptops for everyone in game, including NPCs. This would also help with the technophobe lifestyle so that my sim isn't constantly tense about all the present technology because he or she has a phone they never use in a house with no other technology.
  • The ability to turn off and on drive bys by cars. This would help with immersion.
  • The ability to turn off certain functions on computers, say for instance videogames, in live mode on any computer by shift clicking it. Including computers on community lots. This would also help for other players by freeing up computers in libraries or university commons so you can actually use them for studying rather than them constantly being occupied by some random NPC playing video games.

I'm sure there are many more ways to make historical gameplay better and more immersive, but these are some of the things that I've noticed and thought of when playing historical myself. What do you wish for?
Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    Yes pretty please to all that! ;)
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,402 Member
    Maybe they could add a time period toggle in game settings and then the worlds will load up with period appropriate look and behavior. So roads get replaced with dirt roads instead of asphalt, cars get replaced with horse driven carts, townies get appropriate attire, etc. And you get no computers, no phone, no TV, etc., you'll need to entertain your sim with period acceptable means of entertainment.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2023
    I would totally be a “historical player” if we had options like this! I love to watch the Ultimate Decades Challenge from SeeJenGame and it’s so inspiring. But I am intimidated by all the mods that are needed to make that look and feel realistic. And I have such little time to game now, I wouldn’t get anywhere if I had to set up a save for this and then be constantly updating the mods for it.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Maybe they could add a time period toggle in game settings and then the worlds will load up with period appropriate look and behavior. So roads get replaced with dirt roads instead of asphalt, cars get replaced with horse driven carts, townies get appropriate attire, etc. And you get no computers, no phone, no TV, etc., you'll need to entertain your sim with period acceptable means of entertainment.

That would be absolutely amazing.
  • Options
    ThornwillowThornwillow Posts: 123 Member
    @JAL i hope we get a "Offline lot trait" for base game, similar to "Off-the-Grid", but with water and power, and opposed to "Fast Internet", with NO internet or wireless connections.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

I agree it would be absolutely fantastic if that ability was there. I do think all the different maps would take up a huge amount of resources, though, so it might not be reasonably doable, but it's a fantastic idea.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,346 Member
    A kit for historic gameplay would be so easy to make, because the content would mostly be re-skins of existing items. Things like a pigeon perch instead of a mailbox for example. CC creators already provide a wide range of disguises for modern objects (leading to my sims who are programmers and gamers in modern saves to suddenly feely the urge to take up sewing, because one of the disguises I use is a sewing machine).

A tip for dealing with randomly spawned townies in modern clothes: I keep several generic period outfits in my sims reserve slots. They don't neccesarily have to match my sims's tastes or even social class, their purpose is to get handed over to those misfit townies. When a townie wanders into range, I spin my sim into one of the reserve outfits, copy it over onto the townie with McDresser and spin my sim back. It's not ideal (and won't help console players, unfortunately), but works in a pinch.
  • Options
    @EnkiSchmidt Thank you for the suggestion. I do use MCCC a lot to copy period outfits onto NPCs, but it does break immersion somewhat. I started out playing with the ideal of not using mods, and settling for what is in game, but that proved simply too limiting, so I now have a bunch of CC I use. It would be great if that wasn't needed, especially as you point out, for console players.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,975 Member
    edited November 2023
    turn off phones and using phone while walking
    also turn off randomized townies would really help cause then game would not keep spawning unsuitably dressed sims

also ability to change work outfits
    select npc we want so our queen is not selected as maid and king is not gardener to peasants

also we need to be able to make more food with cauldron and firepit things

and it would be nice to be able to cook with fireplace or have old style oven
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    @Simmingal Yes please! All my housewives keep being randomly picked to be mailmen, bartenders or vendors.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,402 Member
    JAL wrote: »
    @Simmingal Yes please! All my housewives keep being randomly picked to be mailmen, bartenders or vendors.

You could register them as self-employed and put housewife as their career.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 458 Member
    They seriously need to make a sims game spin off set in an earlier period, even if it's just the 90's.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    All this sounds very nice but am less than hopeful. What medieval build kit? Have not seen anything of that sort.
  • Options
    The medieval build kit was voted on by simmers and has been announced for next year.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 458 Member
    A medieval kit won't do anything to a game where all sims are smart phone addicted and pull it out all the time, even in idle animations.

We need a spin off.
  • Options
    Agreed. Despite the recent updates claiming to eliminate the phone issue my sims continue their addiction. Even when running. IRL that would be an invitation for a nasty fall with possible injuries.
  • Options
    I think it has gotten worse after the "fix". I even tried installing a mod but to no avail, they're constantly picking them up. During conversations, during arguments, when upset because someone died... it's been insane lately.
  • Options
    nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    New objects such as rotary phones and telegraph machines, wood chopping interaction and firewood for off the grid stoves, horse and carriage vehicles for travel (instead of bicycles), a post office interactive shell for social interactions that would normally require a phone or computer, and historical activities and hobbies such as leather tanning, sewing, and weaving. Also historical careers, such as cobbler, seamstress, miller (with a functional grinding stone or windmill for making cottage living flour and sugar).
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,582 Member
    edited January 14
    I think it has gotten worse after the "fix". I even tried installing a mod but to no avail, they're constantly picking them up. During conversations, during arguments, when upset because someone died... it's been insane lately.

Which mod did you install, @JAL ? Mine is working without issues (except if there are new phone interactions in For Rent, cause I don't own that).
    noautonomousphone
    https://www.seebee.de/sims4me/index.php?list=4

I think we didn't really need a medieval castle kit. What we would have needed are medieval Versions for functional objects like sinks, stoves, bathtubs, ...
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    @83bienchen I actually uninstalled the one I had and switched to yours, and it has been working fine since, so I'm eternally grateful. I still wish there was a non-mod way to do it, if nothing else for all those playing on console who do not have the option of mods.

Personally I like the look of the kit from what I've seen so far. Did we need it? Probably not, but I still like the look of what I have seen so far (I look forward to improving Windenburg Cathedral).

However, I absolutely agree with you that we need more functional historical objects and I generally think that historical kits and packs would sell really well. A lot of objects could reuse animations and be simple reskins (toys made from wood with less color, a medieval stove reusing the cauldron animation, a sink filled by a pitcher reusing the pitcher animation from laundry day, a lute reusing the guitar animations, a writing "station" (piece of paper and quill/pen) resuing the homework animation that can do much of the same interactions as the computer - write book, letters, apply for university...). Some wouldn't even need any animation as all, such as an outdoor toilet for one or a cash register in the shape of a simple wooden box. Others of course would need new animations (such as a functional broom for bust the dust), but I can honestly not see the need of too many of those objects, just a few.

My dream is a set of matching kits, one BB and one CAS for the various time periods. Medieval, Tudor/Elizabethan, Georgian/regency, Victorian, Edwardian, Art Nouveau, Art Deco/Roaring twenties, Thirties, Forties, Fifties... and so on. They would probably not need to cover every time period, as there would be a lot of overlapping for the older eras.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,582 Member
    That's good to hear, @JAL.

And I agree with you on official updates being preferable to mods. I'm always hoping for at least some of my mods finally becoming obsolete.

I think one might even use the mop puddle animation for brooms.

I don't think the Kit is bad or ugly, I just wish they would have taken the Little Campers Kit road again with reskins of several functional objects. I'm all in for taking a live mode approach, especially given the very popular off the grid gameplay.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    We're not a major group of players who play historical gameplay, and I just recently started myself, but we are still fairly many, who play in a vast array of ways. So how could the experience of the game be improved? I am not a programmer, and I don't know if everything I suggest here is even possible, but some is, and some would even make EA money, so I'm hoping someone picks up a few of these things at least.
    • CAS and BB Kits to fit different time periods. This is the easy one, and EA has opened the door with the medieval build-kit. What we also need is a buy-kit (or stuff pack) with functional off the grid objects, things like toys, sinks, toilets, tubs and stoves that work while still looking medieval. And of course a CAS-kit to go along with it. Other suggestions would be art deco bb kit + the roaring twenties cas kit, art nouveau BB + Edwardian CAS, vintage swimsuit kit, CAS-kits for each of the decades in the 20th century along with bb-kits for some (we have plenty of mid-century modern furniture after all).
    • The ability to turn off and on CAS-items for random. This would be an improvement for everyone, that with a shift-click be able to turn off and on clothes, accessories or hairstyles for random generation on NPCs. It would definitely help historical gameplay, but also just random gameplay where I could disable the CAS I hate from showing up on random NPC sims. (To be fair I'd love more options than this, like hiding and unhiding CAS, disabling it for certain age groups or genders or certain worlds.)
    • Introduction of landline phones and newspapers. We are plenty of people who miss these, even among players who never play historical gameplay.
    • The ability to turn off the mobile phones and laptops. This would work in combination with the above. A simple toggle on and off for the phones and laptops for everyone in game, including NPCs. This would also help with the technophobe lifestyle so that my sim isn't constantly tense about all the present technology because he or she has a phone they never use in a house with no other technology.
    • The ability to turn off and on drive bys by cars. This would help with immersion.
    • The ability to turn off certain functions on computers, say for instance videogames, in live mode on any computer by shift clicking it. Including computers on community lots. This would also help for other players by freeing up computers in libraries or university commons so you can actually use them for studying rather than them constantly being occupied by some random NPC playing video games.

I'm sure there are many more ways to make historical gameplay better and more immersive, but these are some of the things that I've noticed and thought of when playing historical myself. What do you wish for?

One of the major impediments to historically accurate gameplay, is the excess of modern world items, buildings, and animated objects. Unless a feature is added to the game to remove or substitute world objects, it will always be necessary for PC gamers to modify the game with hiders and default replacements. Frankly, Windenberg is a world with a historical design already in place. And modders have implemented a lot of targeted mods to better emphasize this, such as map replacements and re - shade tools. A feature to alter world objects freely would be most welcomed.

Expansions like Horse Ranch and Cottage Living provide a lot of rustic buildbuy items and allow interactions via the community board and interactive shells. This is a great feature, and it helps maintain the rustic appeal of those worlds. However, these types of features should be made compatible with other worlds to make them more suitable for historical gameplay. On the other hand, the movie theatre interactive shell in San Sequoia is an example of a modern version of this concept. Making interactive shells interchangeable would be nice. Then you could remove the modern ones and add more of the historical ones.

The off the grid lot challenge allows you to disable technological devices as well as computer and phone UI interactions that require electricity. But what would be even better, is a feature that would allow the world itself to be made off the grid compatible. That way you don't see NPCs walking down the street playing games on their cell phone.
  • Options
    @nattygirl13 I have to admit, that while it's annoying to have cars go by or some shots be impossible due to background objects, those annoy me less than game features. I'm good at pretending they're not there. However, you are right that it would be fantastic to be able to edit these things, and an off the grid world thing would be fantastic, although I'd settle for being able to limit sims from using the cottage living "typewriters" to play video games on in the library or university commons.
  • Options
    @nattygirl13 I have to admit, that while it's annoying to have cars go by or some shots be impossible due to background objects, those annoy me less than game features. I'm good at pretending they're not there. However, you are right that it would be fantastic to be able to edit these things, and an off the grid world thing would be fantastic, although I'd settle for being able to limit sims from using the cottage living "typewriters" to play video games on in the library or university commons.

I was excited when I saw the typewriter, but then I realized they still functioned exactly like computers. I mean, the trolley and steamboat aren't that bad, because they can be accurate for some eras, however, it'd been better if EA made a world with a steam engine or horse and carriage drive bys.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    I've a few different timeline game saves. They are:
    1. Ancient Times-Dark Ages <3
    2. Middle Age-Medieval Times <3
    3. Georgian-Victorian <3
    4. 20th Century :p
    5. Futuristic 2525 & Beyond B)

Basically, my historical game saves are my most favorite to play.
  • Options
    83bienchen wrote: »

Which mod did you install, @JAL ? Mine is working without issues (except if there are new phone interactions in For Rent, cause I don't own that).
    noautonomousphone
    https://www.seebee.de/sims4me/index.php?list=4

I think we didn't really need a medieval castle kit. What we would have needed are medieval Versions for functional objects like sinks, stoves, bathtubs, ...

Thank you for the link to the mod! Will install at first opportunity. Lately sims have been spending more time looking at phone than anything else.