Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Future of the Sims Franchise & Sims 4 For Rent: concerns

simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
edited November 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It has been many years since I was active on this platform, but despite that, I have remained a loyal simmer for 10 years now. In the past, my interactions on this platform were often filled with negativity and frustrations about The Sims 4. I was quite young back then, and I aim to provide a more nuanced perspective in this discussion post. I thought it was important to return and share my appreciation and concerns with the management of the Sims franchise.

I am still an active Sims player, but over the years, my focus has shifted towards building Sims houses. In addition to designing buildings, I also spend time updating the in-game worlds to add lore and create interesting dynamics that support the existing Sims 4 lore. Although I continue to create Sims families, I haven't played with them in years. You can view my creations on Origin ID simooon2002.

The Sims franchise has been an outlet for people worldwide for many years, shaping and enhancing lives. Thanks to The Sims, I discovered a passion for architecture and have become quite skilled at designing buildings. This is a passion I am considering incorporating into my future professional life, possibly in real estate. The Sims 4 played a significant role in this journey, and I want to start by acknowledging the strength of the Build Mode in The Sims 4, which offers numerous possibilities. In this thread, I will share some of my creations to express my appreciation for The Sims 4. The in-game scenery where I build my houses has never been so beautiful, clearly demonstrating the effort put into it. Additionally, the Create-a-Sim (CAS) feature is the most versatile it has ever been, allowing your imagination to run wild in creating Sims families.

However, despite maturing over the years, I am still enthusiastic about immersing myself in the Sims world and believe I can continue to enjoy playing with Sims families. Yet, The Sims 4 doesn't provide the same level of enjoyment and possibilities as other games. Personally, I find it disheartening how little gameplay focus there is in newer expansion packs, despite being quite satisfied with CAS and Build & Buy.

I am excited about the concept of The Sims 4 For Rent, but I think it's important to address some critiques. When we compare the concept of this expansion pack to some from previous Sims generations, there is an obvious cutback. While I will likely purchase the game, in my opinion, this concept should have been part of The Sims 4 City Living. It's somewhat disappointing that they want to charge another 40 euros for this, considering that The Sims 4 City Living's primary selling point was the ability to have apartments in a new type of world. Along the new world, the semi-active careers didn't offer anything game changing, in the same way that the Sims 3 Late Night did offer.
Charging 40 euros for basically the ability to have multiple residential options on one lot (bearing in mind that a home and a community lot might not be possible together), in addition to the prior 40 euros for apartments, feels like a questionable game plan. When discussing the entire issue of The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs, Cottage Living, My First Pet Stuff, it seems evident that these packs offer less than those in previous generations while demanding more money.

A common frustration for many is that the Sims Community often tends to be negative. However, my perspective is that seeking sympathy for the developers' hard work isn't a long-term solution, as consumers are primarily concerned with having the best possible gaming experience. As a result, competition in the gaming industry continues to grow, and players are increasingly drawn to alternatives, regardless of how the game developers may feel about it. I'm listing all these concerns because I am worried about the direction the Sims franchise is heading. I believe they are still generating substantial profits, largely due to their near-monopoly status. This might be why the packs are getting smaller to maximize profits. I have heard arguments that this is the best they can do with the limited resources they receive. However, I don't quite understand this argument given the game's ongoing popularity. Therefore, I think this may not be a sound long-term business strategy, as the emergence of new life simulation games that address these concerns and frustrations is inevitable and already underway. It seems to me that in the long run, this monopoly is bound to fade, and The Sims may struggle to keep up with more competitive games. I felt it was important to outline these concerns because, despite everything, I still root for The Sims. This is not meant to be purely negative, and I am open to responses to this critique, as I by no means claim to have the absolute truth.

oh85qih4a32m.png
vivvd3uacv8u.png
y9fbn9390x1q.png
c18jq8akyskx.png
am4aoh4oe4us.png
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    You're not wrong. TS franchise has had over two decades of mastery of the life sim genre. Over time, EA has taken full advantage of that fact.
    Especially with TS3 and TS4. Eventually, they're going to have to work harder for their market share. A lot of players will remain due to brand loyalty. Others are simply waiting for something fresh and more appealing to arrive.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    simgame wrote: »
    This might be why the packs are getting smaller

Are they?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    I feel like it is only a matter of time before The Sims series gets dethroned by new competitors.

Thing is, I think that for a competitor to truly succeed, is not only to offer more content in both the base game and expansions, but to also be it's own thing, do something The Sims has NEVER done and might never do.

For example, a dynamic job market could be a thing. Like promotions only happening when there's an opening. Like there is only ever one mayor, but there could be elections now and then.
    A business could also have different openings, and the advancement system would not be so rigid. Most jobs could still be rabbit holes since well, most would be too boring to play out, but it could all make more sense.
    Like each business could require a certain amount of positions, could be slots shown when hovering over the building, what positions are open and who is filling the positions.
    Administrative jobs could be available at many places, like also at the police station or hospital.

Another possible thing is going for a 16+ age rating, pretty much what Sims 1 had.
    That way they would do things the Sims won't do, at least not any more. There could be alcohol, bachelor parties with pie dancers, burglars, children taken away by protective services, etc.
    Could also add in some new things like smoking, some indirect ways of murder (like poisoning a drink or setting some trap.)
    Generally just a game that does not need to consider children playing it, that can provide the edge that in the sims has been lessened with each new instalment and is now completely gone.

Different setting can also work, like what if they go with a full victorian/western setting? That way all expansions would be pretty different too. Like could have one focused on horror, another on the gold rush, yet another on trips on ocean liners, another on murder mysteries with a detective profession, etc.

Or focusing a lot on the actual people, making them way more unique and interesting than they have ever been in the sims.
    Like with a system more advanced than traits and that also has overlapping things.
    Like for example if someone is both a snob and a hothead, they might express that by throwing a drink in someone's face or a single slap in the face after looking very offended. But if they are a slob and a hothead, they might burp in someone's face who they are upset with.
    Maybe having hobbies too, all having a flaw. A big dream.
    Maybe age advancement being gradual too, people having an actual age. With more interactions unlocking as they age up slowly, and others disappearing. Could depend on traits too.
    Like a genius could be able to play chess at an earlier age than others, a childish person can keep playing with toys regardless of age and serious people could stop playing video games by the time they are adult, feeling too mature for it.

Either way they need to have a selling point that sets them apart aside from just more content.
  • Options
    wildflower42wildflower42 Posts: 37 Member
    I don't believe the Sims series will ever not be /the/ life simulator, no matter how bare bones it feel at times. The thing about competitors, there is a clear difference in theming: they're leaning more into realism than the Sims series will ever get. This is great for people who want realism (and really, a more mature approach) in their simulation games and it certainly doesn't hurt to have competition for consumers, but those games will more than likely never reach where the Sims series has gotten. The loyalty is just not there for them, as there is with the Sims that's surviving on its name (and hate to say it, player-created content) alone.

Anyway, it is not negative to discuss problems with this series, but I do agree that the community tends to lean towards the absolute worst of attitudes most of the time. The community can and will never fully understand what exactly is happening behind the scenes, but can only make connections from what's happening in other aging series, whether inaccurate or not. Even /I/ am doing that right now!
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    I wouldn't rule it out that they will never be dethroned. EA is not exactly known for taking chances and doing anything revolutionary with sequels. They like to play it safe.
    And the sims is also burdened by the expectations of all previous instalments.
    Another series is not.

I don't think such a new series is currently in the works yet, the ones I have seen are not that impressive, don't seem to dare to take enough chances to set themselves apart.

I agree that being too realistic would not work. Depends a bit on where it goes.
    For example if a game is 16+ that does not mean it can't contain supernatural stuff too. But possibly they could have it more focused. sims is all over the place with it.

Another game could instead dig deeper in a particular direction. Like focusing more on science fiction and having various aliens instead of just one.

Or digging deeper into magic, having that part of the base game and each expansion adding new spells.

Or digging more into the horror direction, which would pair super well with a higher age rating, so that they could actually be scary. No one could ever be scared of the goofy looking werewolves of Sims 4.
    They could have deeper supernatural gameplay and new forms as well like being able to build your own frankenstein type monster just like building a robot, and trying to make it come alive.
    Maybe even have a risk of a zombie apocalypse possible in the game, but also ways to stop it. Could only be started by your people if you make them do it, like mess around in a lab and letting the virus run rampant.

Or having super heroes as a possibility. Like imagine a similar series adding new superhero options in each instalment, abilities related to the expansion content. Have the whole hidden identity thing as a possibility too, like being able to have your superhero hide it even from their own spouse and children.

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2023
    If you play mostly the sims4 then it's difficult to not buy the content that we get as there is nothing to compare it to. But after High School Years I started playing all sorts of different games, when you do that you kinda get less enthusiasm for the packs that are released now because I compare them to to other games being released. The illusion is kinda broken, all sims look alike, I'm having difficulty to understand what is fun in these new packs.

The game is very reliant on the player creating things but that only goes so far, it's the developers that have to add and expand upon the new features being added but and I think they try but unfortunately for many packs features end up just just getting added...for the sake of being added. Here is a High School, but it's more or less the same as an active career from Get to Work so there is not much to do in it. Here is a horse, but the horse competitions are just rabbit holes.

They try to add innovation on top of it but because of the game's limitations or budget reasons it sometimes doesn't work very well. For rent is just another example of that, I'm sure that they tried to make multiple apartments work on the same lot, but the game wasn't designed for it. So this is what we are getting. Here are multiple apartments on the same lot, but there are loading screens to visit them so its more or less an upgrade from City Living.

And that's the issue, we are gonna get more packs for the sims4, but there will always be a "but" included with them. And those are gonna stack up and make The Sims4 feel less appealing to spend your free time with and make other games feel more appealing to spend your free time with.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Hello Simgame, welcome back! I agree and hold the same concerns as you. I love The Sims franchise so i want it to thrive, but the lack of gameplay TS4 has offered over the years was disappointing to me. I use mods to compensate, but still is not enough at times.