Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Horse Ranch Positive Thoughts Thread

Comments

• Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,152 Member
    I spotted a neighbor on riding trip at the trails. Was nice to see that townies who own horses actually go riding with them!
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I like how I can use prairie grass to refill the feed in the Cottage Living animal shed. Very nice touch, and helps my sim to save a little.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,360 Member
    edited August 2023
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    @Peral Wait, what? You can borrow horses?

Yes and the owner isn't in anyway stingy about like if you try to sleep in their bed or cook a meal. It is perfect for my Sim since her lot don't have place for a horse and they neither have the time to take care of a horse
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,284 Member
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,745 Member
    I'm not quite sure what is going on inside of my head, but this year I bought a total of 4 packs - so far. I have not played all the new content yet, while some features are not even my lane and might never be fully explored by me. Still, most packs have something useful for my ts4 universe, I don't regret getting any of them. I needed more worlds and lots, too. Latest sim count was 636, and I nearly fell off my good chair - laughing. I thought 4 was fine, and that I would wait with Horse Ranch until late Fall or Winter. My computer is old and I worry it might need replacement, shortly, if I keep adding stuff. Which will of course be a tad hard on my current budget.

So, what do I do? Yupp, I just decided to go tough! Why don't I do my best to actually kill my computer ASAP? Add packs and cc until it can't handle it anymore? It sounds way more fun than being worried. All these horse pictures and discussions did of course not help me a bit... I'm starting that murder attempt tonight, already! Yuhuu!
    (Later we can have a guessing game: "Which horse did it?" ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    @Simmerville I hope installation goes smoothly for you!
  • Options
    @Simmerville I hope installation goes smoothly for you!

Thanks! It normally works well, might need to reboot a couple times. Can't wait to test play the new world... if it will let me in :)
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Fingers crossed all goes well for you, @Simmerville!
  • Options
    Thank you @maggiemae8135 .

Install is fine, it seems. A testsim has landed in Chestnut Ridge. I was perhaps expecting a sunny, dry and warm day with dust clouds, but was actually reminded of Brindleton Bay on arrival :) My test sim will now get a goat, just because I'm curious, and then get a horse and I'll see if animations are lagging etc. Had t take out a few GB custom content, and once I add it back in I will tolerate some lag if I know it will work better with an empty mods folder.

And - in a few minutes I expect my RL mom to call for chatting in a couple hours - bad timing...

welcome.jpg
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Peral wrote: »
    What is positive is that you can go to a lot and borrow their horse without the lot owner getting all possesive. So my Sim can have her equestrian needs met without owning a horse and reside in Willow Creek. It cost her 500 simolians which she gift the horse owner.

That is a really nice idea :)

My sims best friend got moved to the new world and got a horse. Whenever we visit my sim goes for a ride but I like this idea. Think I will mod a lot into a riding school and let my sims go there and give simoleons as a gift afterwards. Not every sim and story got a place for a fulltime horse but it is still fun to go for a ride.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,538 Member
    I love the idea of setting up a large lot with several horses and some other animals for various Sims to visit, as if they are renting horses or going to a petting zoo. You really only need one Sim to be the rancher to set up the lot and I think it would work. I might have to do that myself and try it out. Also, many people in real life own horses but board them on someone else's farm or property to be properly taken care of, and just visit and ride them when they have time. So that would be a good way to have Sims "own" a horse that they don't have room for and they could go on living their lives normally.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »
    I love the idea of setting up a large lot with several horses and some other animals for various Sims to visit, as if they are renting horses or going to a petting zoo. You really only need one Sim to be the rancher to set up the lot and I think it would work. I might have to do that myself and try it out. Also, many people in real life own horses but board them on someone else's farm or property to be properly taken care of, and just visit and ride them when they have time. So that would be a good way to have Sims "own" a horse that they don't have room for and they could go on living their lives normally.

I'm doing this, I'm so glad sims can borrow another household's horse like that. I let each visiting sim choose one horse to be their focus interest, and they take a photo of the horse to keep in their inventory for reminder (guess you could also just tell by relation, but on rotation there might be drop in relation between visits). I just got started so I might adjust, but for now I plan the household to have up to 4 horses. The lot is residential, but I pretend it's owned by the riding club, and those living there (per se just 1 single sim) has a cozy but small flat on the lot. The lot is the meet up for the Foals club, where he must be a ember in order for them to get access to the lot at meetings. I 'm hoping that horse riding as a club activity will be patched in later, as clubs can actually buy "horse riding boost" perk, making the lacking activity look like a mistake.

Having so much fun and planning a picture series for my blog, of course :)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,093 Member
    @Hearts4u Beautiful families! Is Brooklyn Rider named after the quartet?
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,795 Member
    edited August 2023
    @Hearts4u Beautiful families! Is Brooklyn Rider named after the quartet?

No, I just made it up.

Back to the topic: Although I'm not complaining, it can be a challenge to find Crinkletop when one is trying to sell nectar to him. Yet, selling foals has been another source of income for my ranchers.

In watching my horses, I realized that two horses can drink water at the same time.
    Drinking-Water.png
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,795 Member
    I've always wanted my Sims to easily sit back, relax and enjoy a glass of nectar together. This is one of the many features that I'm happy was added to this pack.

Planning for their ranch style wedding can be quite hectic; so, there nothing like a glass of nectar with a good movie.
    Movie-Night-with-Nectar.png
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,284 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

In my game, this is first setup I did :) A sim and 7 horses. just a tip tho, you may want to load the lot as a lot owner every now and then to lock/unlock some gates and stuff.

I want my "community" stables be like real ones here and horses don't roam freely around in here :smiley:

c8alVML.png
    My sim visiting the riding school, those horses all in their own areas surrounded by fences :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    I'm having so much fun with this pack! Any speculation on pack containing too little to qualify for EP and not GP are gone. I feel like I hardly got any RL sleep since 4 nights, LOL. Still hardly scratched the surface, did not explore the beautiful world, have not yet seen a mini sheep, not checked nectar making beyond getting the 1st skill point, and hardly visited any community lot. And that is before I need to implement HR features with sims in most of the other worlds... Might be a good idea telling all RL friends that I am busy traveling around the world for the next year or so - only in areas where I can not be reached, of course... ;)

I have many questions that I will probably find answers to during gameplay, but two are a bit confusing:

1. Some sims mounts a horse wearing whatever outfit they were wearing. Today sims seem to change into their workout outfit. I wonder what decides whether they change outfit or not. I'm fine with a duchess not riding her horse while wearing her gala gown and tiara, but why is this not the same on all lots? Those not changing were "borrowing" a horse by visiting another residential lot, while today I play a lot where the rider and horse are in the same household - is that what makes the difference?

2. On my new ranch they only had the time to get a horse and to plant some crops. They will have goats, chicken, cat, dog and a cow, but I did not get to that quite yet (can't wait to see how bad the lagging will get, but this far I hardly notice any change from not having HR installed). I was a bit surprised when my sim found a goat on the ranch anyway! It turns out it belongs to another household, and it is now jumping happily around on the ranch showing no sign of returning back home. I clicked it to see if I could send it home, but no. So, is there any risk it will never get back to its owner? Should my rancher adopt it, will it stay?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,538 Member

Oh my God, I think I need this! I really, really want a steed with glowing eyes! And to be able to ride bareback! And have powers too! Looks amazing! ❤️
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Not quite sure where to post this - but as It's all in the positive manner of complimenting this wonderful EP, I share it here instead of starting a new thread elsewhere.

Just released the first chapter of a new mini series "The Training Grounds" on my blog - it is a story, yes - but it is mainly exploring various aspects of this pack, and includes many pictures captured as I play rather than strictly scripted. A guy with the High Maintenance trait wants to become an Equestrian Champion, but things get complicated when a full club of horsey sims comes into his life... ha-ha. I'm not a RL horse person, so if anyone are on the fence about this pack you might like to check it out. And, as always including only actual sims and locations from my game (mostly, but not restricted to, HR features).

01.jpg

I guess there will be about 5 chapters total - sharing only this first here.
    Post edited by Simmerville on
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    @Simmerville did the little goat jump back home? Haven’t gotten as far as goats yet in this save. Tackling Mt Komorebi first, then we can build a farm with all the animals.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    @Simmerville did the little goat jump back home? Haven’t gotten as far as goats yet in this save. Tackling Mt Komorebi first, then we can build a farm with all the animals.

Nope, the goat is sill a mystery. It stayed on the ranch for 2-3 days now, and lately I got warnings that it is thinking of leaving due to neglect... thing is if I click on it, there is no option to clean or feed etc. You can click on one goat (or is that on the ground) to clean all goats, and my sim did that but the mystery goat was obviously not included. Game sees it as owned by the Rancher and not owned by the Rancher. Must be a minor bug, I just find it funny. I will switch to the lot that owns it, if I could only remember... goats and sheep don't get a family name like CAS created animals do.

Yeah, we got so many animals now, filling a farm is so much fun, but it is had work having all possibilities added.

UPDATE @SilentKitty: Goat was rescued by its owner! After checking 3-4 households, not recalling where Grumpy once belonged, I found one house with 1 goat. When moving camera to it, it turned out this goat was very tired and starving - resting alone on a bridge out in the no-man-land. So, I immediately understood that this might had escaped together with Grumpy! And right I was - having the owner visiting the Altham Ranch, he could easily pick up Grumpy and bring both escapers back home :) They live in the same hood, btw, and I hardly played them so I don't know what happened making them run off and never return. Quite cool, actually :)
    Post edited by Simmerville on