Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WARNING! Buying used copies.......

Not sure if this has already been covered or not (been off with the flu) but so far today I've witnessed 5 people get burned by buying used copies of Sims 4 from people selling them (physical copies obviously).......claiming the codes have already been used. Well clearly if it's more of an "activation" code that links it to a persons Origin account, it won't work with someone else's. People should be wary of this just in case they are either in the market for a used copy for cheap, or a seller, unhappy with the game and wanting to get rid of it.

Comments

• Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    So you should basically just steer away from used copies.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    DarkMisfitDarkMisfit Posts: 363 Member
    basically........peeps on Ebay are going to be miffed LOL "OMG I GOT SIMS 4 FOR 10 BUCKS! HA SUCKERS!....*goes to install it*....*expletive deleted*! it doesn't work!
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    DarkMisfit wrote: »
    basically........peeps on Ebay are going to be miffed LOL "OMG I GOT SIMS 4 FOR 10 BUCKS! HA SUCKERS!....*goes to install it*....*expletive deleted*! it doesn't work!
    Yeah anything less than 20 or so dollars should raise some flags.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    I don't know why it is legal to sell a used copy that you can only use once... XD
  • Options
    EasyToRead wrote: »

There are people selling activated copies for upwards of $65
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    I don't know why it is legal to sell a used copy that you can only use once... XD

Well you can sell basically anything online...
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    well yeah, I posted this days ago, duh, it is a one time use thing. Of course, I guess if the person selling it went to origin, and got it cleared off somehow it might work, but I doubt most would bother with that... the only other way to get it to work is to sign in under that person's account that was selling it, and I don't see that happening!
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »

There are people selling activated copies for upwards of $65

Pffft more than what I got my game for...
  • Options

I'm HOPING that the people selling don't realize that the codes cannot be used again :\ *i try to see the silver lining in EVERYTHING....it's my downfall*
  • Options
    munchie885 wrote: »

Well you can sell basically anything online...

True... :P
  • Options
    gayars wrote: »
    well yeah, I posted this days ago, duh, it is a one time use thing. Of course, I guess if the person selling it went to origin, and got it cleared off somehow it might work, but I doubt most would bother with that... the only other way to get it to work is to sign in under that person's account that was selling it, and I don't see that happening!

well since you brought it up.....ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm "can i like.......borrow your ID"?...........kidding :p
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Yeah the TOS is pretty clear about the license being non transferable. If someone does buy from eBay they can try CS, many times they will give you a legit activation code, if you can prove you made an honest purchase
  • Options
    leftytwogunsleftytwoguns Posts: 31 Member
    No offense but why the hell would you ever try to buy a "used" PC game? Are these people new to PC gaming?
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Yeah the TOS is pretty clear about the license being non transferable. If someone does buy from eBay they can try CS, many times they will give you a legit activation code, if you can prove you made an honest purchase

True, but I think a lot of times ebayers are upset and go after the seller demanding a refund...which is why I said what I did a bout hoping the sellers honestly don't know that they shouldn't be selling those copies.....and aren't being purposely deceptive....either way, the new buyers will either get the seller to refund, or Ebay will do it.
  • Options
    The only time I would bother buying one is if I wanted a physical copy and I ALREADY had a code. For instance, I might replace some of my physical sims 2/3 games that way, but I already have my own serial numbers, just the discs are bad on some of my sims 2 ones.
  • Options
    No offense but why the hell would you ever try to buy a "used" PC game? Are these people new to PC gaming?

I see YouTube comments saying that people bought a used Sims 3 game all the time - mostly on LifeSimmer's channel. XD
  • Options
    yeahglencocoyeahglencoco Posts: 23 New Member
    This game isn't even worth a penny.
  • Options

new to gaming?.....clearly you've never heard of GameStop
    gayars wrote: »
    The only time I would bother buying one is if I wanted a physical copy and I ALREADY had a code. For instance, I might replace some of my physical sims 2/3 games that way, but I already have my own serial numbers, just the discs are bad on some of my sims 2 ones.

I found the original Sims games..ALL of them at the local thrift store and I about peed...........till I saw they were all without codes :(
  • Options
    The difference is that with sims 3, you didn't have to go online to register it with origin to get it to install and play it, you just entered the activation code, and you could play it on your pc anytime.
  • Options
    leftytwogunsleftytwoguns Posts: 31 Member
    Not really something you can get away with these days with stuff like Origin and Steam being mandatory. I think sooner or later (and unfortunately) every major publisher is going to have their own digitial "service" you have to connect to to play their games :disappointed:
  • Options
    This game isn't even worth a penny.

yunno what they say about opinions don't ya? :)
  • Options
    Wpardue77Wpardue77 Posts: 129 Member
    What's better is the people pirating Sims 4 that end up with little surprises in the game which makes it unplayable
  • Options
    Not my problem, I paid 80 for my copy thank you very much! (premium edition :/)
  • Options
    Wpardue77 wrote: »
    What's better is the people pirating Sims 4 that end up with little surprises in the game which makes it unplayable

Karmic Retribution
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Well, I bought a copy of The Sims Complete Collection at Value Village and it works. ;)

But this is one of the reasons EA added activation through Origin; they don't want people buying or selling used games, since they don't get any money from used game sales. All game publishers are trying to stop used game sales; they want that money going straight from your wallet to them.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell