March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Windows 7-10 Fixes

US_Marshall42US_Marshall42 Posts: 236 Member
edited February 21 in Nominated Threads
It's not uncommon to have problems with The Sims 2 on Windows 7, 8, 8.5, and 10. I've had all of these versions of windows and had trouble running The Sims 2 on all of them. The Sims 2 is my favorite Sims game so naturally I searched the internet for fixes and Troubleshoot Forums. Here's what I found:

Black Flickering This is caused by your graphics card not agreeing with the game. Turn Shadows to Medium or turn them off completely.

That's the simplest fix. If you're also having any of these: Screen flickering, Black screen, graphical errors, pie menus won't load, gameplay errors, shadows still flickering, mods won't show up.

First, before doing any more fixes, remove your mods folder and all mods if you have any, just to be safe.

Second, download Graphics Rule Maker from SimsNetwork: http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

This program, (Virus free, I checked) is made to fix all the problems listed above except for the mod issue. Let it find your Sims 2 game, add your graphics card to its database, set your screen resolution, and apply the fixes. (But try to avoid using all the fixes if possible)

I personally used this and it fixed my Sims 2 game 110%. Looks better than it did before.

Now for the mods, check the in game options, there's a section to toggle the mods on and off. Check on and that should fix it, if it doesn't then its a deeper problem.

So there ya go! Enjoy The Sims 2!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @US_Marshall42

I realize its some time since you posted this wonderful advice but am hoping you could provide me with a little further advice.

I only ever got chance to play sims 2 a couple of times and by the time I had more time to start playing everything was sims 3 so I have bought everything sims 3 and then learned how to add use mods/CC after the last patch.

Suddenly I have decided I really want to try sims 2 and have purchased a complete disc set and codes knowing that I may encounter some issues along the way trying to play on a newer systems but I am willing to try and came across the graphics rule maker and thought it was a great idea as I read on many blogs that newer Nvidia cards can be a problem for sims 2 however as I have a reasonable PC set up I don't want to remove sims 3 as I still want to be able to play alongside sims 2 installed so am wondering when I start setting up and installing sims 2 if i download the graphics rule maker will that effect my graphics at all when playing sims 3?

I have also read that I will require to use an older version of Net. framework and while I understand I can download extra versions I am wondering if I have to somehow switch between the 2 versions when playing differing versions of the game?

I am on windows 7 64 bit service pack 2 Graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 770

Any additional advice on what I am feeling may turn out to be a rather long learning curve would be most welcomed....
  • hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
    I have played TS2 and TS3 on the same machine with Windows 7 32 bit and an NVidia card, I believe it was 9800. Had no graphics problems in either game. Never heard of the graphics rule maker till today.
  • US_Marshall42US_Marshall42 Posts: 236 Member
    edited December 2015

I realize its some time since you posted this wonderful advice but am hoping you could provide me with a little further advice.

I only ever got chance to play sims 2 a couple of times and by the time I had more time to start playing everything was sims 3 so I have bought everything sims 3 and then learned how to add use mods/CC after the last patch.

Suddenly I have decided I really want to try sims 2 and have purchased a complete disc set and codes knowing that I may encounter some issues along the way trying to play on a newer systems but I am willing to try and came across the graphics rule maker and thought it was a great idea as I read on many blogs that newer Nvidia cards can be a problem for sims 2 however as I have a reasonable PC set up I don't want to remove sims 3 as I still want to be able to play alongside sims 2 installed so am wondering when I start setting up and installing sims 2 if i download the graphics rule maker will that effect my graphics at all when playing sims 3?

I have also read that I will require to use an older version of Net. framework and while I understand I can download extra versions I am wondering if I have to somehow switch between the 2 versions when playing differing versions of the game?

I am on windows 7 64 bit service pack 2 Graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 770

Any additional advice on what I am feeling may turn out to be a rather long learning curve would be most welcomed....[/quote]

Hello! I run The Sims 2 disk copy, with all Expansions and most Stuff Packs. I also have most of The Sims 3 on this computer. The Graphics Rule Maker (GRM) Only affects The Sims 2 as its a direct fix for the game itself and not your computer. As for the Net. Framework, I've never heard any express problems with it on Windows 7. I can't 100% guarantee the game will work, but Windows 7 is one of the easier ones to work with.
    @hedgekat1, Thanks for that info I think my Geforce GTX 770 Nvidia should be able to cope until I purchase the same card to use alongside in the new year. The graphics rule maker is supposed to assist players with newer Graphics cards not being recognized by Sims 2 games.

@US_Marshall42 I did find another thread where you appeared to have problems with the new sim 2 ultimate collection, you stated you had gone back to the Disc version and since reading that post I have found many more complaints regards UC having differing file paths which of course create problems with some older sims 2 mods and CC people are used to using.

I managed to grovel to EA who have promised me the UC version if I purchase a new Sims 2 base game with an unused code which I have done and once it arrives will receive the full UC version.

I did purchase the initial base game years ago after playing for a couple of times at a friends house and loved it but I did not have the time in those days to immerse myself into the series and by the time I looked into it again Sims 3 was out so I went with that.

My original base game got lost when I moved so while I am waiting to get the whole UC series I have been trying to do a little research and honestly I feel like a baby in some ways as I am trying to apply all my knowledge of the Sims 3 game/mods and CC to Sims 2 which is obviously not completely applicable to the way Sims 2 works.

I am really excited to be giving Sims 2 a go but learning everything about the game and what mods and CC will now work with UC has made me question my sanity LOL
    edited December 2015
    @SPARKY1922 I did have trouble with the UC but the GRM actually did fix those.
    @US_Marshall42 apologies what is GRM? lol
    @SPARKY1922 Yes GRM = Graphics Rules Maker. It fixed all the errors of both the Ultimate Collection and the disk version.
    @Rflong7, @US_Marshall42, Duh after finding it and asking about on the forums I then forget, apologies LOL Its good to know it really does work for future reference...
  • MrsAllen85MrsAllen85 Posts: 2 New Member
    hi, im having trouble with running sims 2 on windows 10. it installed fine and loads fine however when im playing a game i find the windows get light grey squares through them that move with the sims and also i cant purchase new furniture as the game wont allow me to place it in the home. ive tried changing compatability and no change, ive even altered screen sizes and nothing, any idea what it could be??
    Try what I suggested above. You'd be surprised what errors Graphics Rule Maker can fix.
  • MeadowThayerrMeadowThayerr Posts: 239 Member
    I have used GRM, and the majority of my problems have subsided. However, whenever there is a light snow, my outdoor floor tiles start flickering. They're base game tiles.

Windows 10/TS2:UC
    Hello there, I'm Haleigh!
    It's MeadowThayerr with 2 Rs because someone beat me to the normal way.
    My Sims Website | The Kennedy Legacy ✓ | The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game
    I have used GRM, and the majority of my problems have subsided. However, whenever there is a light snow, my outdoor floor tiles start flickering. They're base game tiles.

Windows 10/TS2:UC

Did you add your graphics card to GRM?
    It prompted me to do so when I clicked save, so I clicked yes. Was there something more I needed to do apart from saying yes?

An update though, the snow only flickers during the day, it appears properly at night.
    My Sims Website | The Kennedy Legacy ✓ | The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game
    It prompted me to do so when I clicked save, so I clicked yes. Was there something more I needed to do apart from saying yes?

An update though, the snow only flickers during the day, it appears properly at night.

Do you have Shadows turned On?
    edited May 2016
    @US_Marshall42 yes, but I tried turning them off and the issue still occurred, and it only happens on the outdoor floortiles. It shows up properly on the grass.
    @US_Marshall42 yes, but I tried turning them off and the issue still occurred, and it only happens on the outdoor floortiles. It shows up properly on the grass.

Are you playing on a digital copy or a disk? And is it the Ultimate Collection?
    I included in my original post that it's the Ultimate Collection, so the only thing available is the digital copy. It's only an issue with my digital copy. I still have access to my original laptop with Windows Vista and the disc version of the regular game, but the computer is 7 years old and runs ridiculously slow, but the game runs properly on there so it's definitely just a problem with the Ultimate Collection.
    I included in my original post that it's the Ultimate Collection, so the only thing available is the digital copy. It's only an issue with my digital copy. I still have access to my original laptop with Windows Vista and the disc version of the regular game, but the computer is 7 years old and runs ridiculously slow, but the game runs properly on there so it's definitely just a problem with the Ultimate Collection.

Ah yeah I see that you mentioned that earlier now. Hmmm. Might just be a graphical glitch then. Paintings show up with minor texture errors for me. Might be the the graphics you're using still doesn't 100% agree with the game, even with GRM.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, unfortunately. It may just have to be one of those things where when it's acting up, I'm just careful about how I frame my pictures for my stories.

Thank you for your input and help though. :heart:
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, unfortunately. It may just have to be one of those things where when it's acting up, I'm just careful about how I frame my pictures for my stories.

Thank you for your input and help though. :heart:

Anytime!
    edited May 2016
    Anyone else need help?
  • MotheringthesimsMotheringthesims Posts: 1 New Member
    I have been playing the console version for a while before someone told me that 2 was better. I love it. I just started adding mods and before it gets out of hand I'm organizing my folders. I installed SimPE and Sims 2 Pack clean installer. The first because the mod designer said the mod would not work with out it, but for it to work it to needs the .net framework. I know where to get it but noooo clue what version to install. I playing using windows 10 I have The Sims 2 double deluxe and all expansion all installed except OB and Pets also all the stuff packs except the xmas version. I do have the OB and Pets, but don't want to do anymore until I get things organized. Can you help?
  • MacicoMacico Posts: 6 New Member
    i need help my the sims 2 ultimate isn't working,the game even open,help please
  • MacicoMacico Posts: 6 New Member
    my OS is win 10 ,i tried everything and still the same :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top