Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get discs to show up in Origin?

I have have a bunch of Sims 3 EPs and SPs on disc. My disc drive broke recently, so I'm trying to figure out how re-install the game and play from Origin. I have tried redeeming the code from the discs to Origin, but keep getting error messages.

Am I out of luck and can't play Sims 3 anymore?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    It is required to uninstall the disc version of the game first and clean the Windows Registry with a tool such as Piriform's CCleaner (the free version is fine) before attempting to install the Origin version. I would also strongly suggest pulling your TS3 user game folder out of Documents first so it can be restored later, otherwise it stands to get goofed up in the process and your saves become unplayable, if this is important.

If you are on the Mac version of the game rather than Windows, there are other considerations.

If the game and its packs are registered to you on the older TS3 site, or can be now (when TS3 is not down for maintenance as it was to have been today) and under the same account credentials, there shouldn't be any need for codes on the Origin end. The games you have should just show up for you ready to download and install in Origin. But you do have to be the original owner of the discs or else they could be registered to someone else already.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I think the question was how to get Origin to recognize that you own the disk versions or the packs. In recent installs, I don't have to use the disk for 'The Sims', or WA, Gen, which I bought through Origin, but I do have to insert the disks for NL and UL. If/when I get a new computer, it may not come with an optical drive (they are getting rarer) and I will need to download NL and UL from origin somehow.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    I think the question was how to get Origin to recognize that you own the disk versions or the packs. In recent installs, I don't have to use the disk for 'The Sims', or WA, Gen, which I bought through Origin, but I do have to insert the disks for NL and UL. If/when I get a new computer, it may not come with an optical drive (they are getting rarer) and I will need to download NL and UL from origin somehow.
    Standalone external CD/DVD drives are easy to find online and do not cost very much, the computer does not need to have one built-in. But an all-Origin install, if one is going to have the base game or any packs installed through Origin and therefore be on Patch 1.69 anyway, is going to be much easier to work with. If you are the original owner of the discs and they are registered to you (or can be now) on the older TS3 website, then they can be installed through Origin instead.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net