Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Dad Won't Let Me Get Sims4 For Our Computer

340000453340000453 Posts: 73 Member
edited January 2017 in Off Topic Chat
I'm a big fan of the sims. I struggle so much to get so much of it into my life as I can without actually playing it xD. I had Sims3 for my computer for a while along with the supernatural expansion. That computer was extremely crappy, I mean very crappy. But I still played with what I had. Since we got a new computer I asked for the Sims4 for Christmas and the Sims4 only. Usually we ask for multiple things but I only asked for that. But my dad said no games on this computer. It made me really sad so I just asked for other things. Now in July my birthday is coming up and I was hoping to ask for the Sims4 again. Is there anyway you guys think I can persuade him to get it for me? I think the thing is that he doesn't like the Sims. He said that he loves SimsCity but he thinks that the regular Sims is stupid. It makes me really sad D: What should I do?

Edit: Omg I can't right now :D:D:D I can't believe they censored the word cr ap into the word plum. I'm not mad they censored it, I just think that it's funny it was censored into plum xD
Post edited by 340000453 on

Comments

• Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited January 2017
    That's a tough one. Do you know what he exactly dislikes about The Sims? I am guessing he knows that it comes with a lot of expansions and doesn't want it clogging up the new computer. My husband is the same with his computer, he hates games using up all the space, therefore 98% of my kids PC games are on my computers.

Or is it only the fact he doesn't care for the game himself? You might be able to talk to him and try to make him understand it's not fair that just because he doesn't like it, you don't get to play it. I don't love most of the games my kids play, but I don't dictate what they should like. If it's age appropriate and doesn't cost the earth, I will get it for their birthday or Christmas.

Is there someone else close to you (mum, sister/brother, grandparent etc) who could help to try and change his mind? Have you asked him if there is anything you could do that would change his mind and let you get your most favourite game (chores etc)?

There is also one important thing that you should check before you go to too much trouble, and that is to make sure that this new computer can play the game. The Sims 4 really needs a gaming computer to play. Even with only the base game and all the patches that were added, have been making some Simmers computers really struggle. I had to get a new gaming computer last year because my laptop had just had enough of the Sims and started crashing all the time. You will probably want at least a few of the packs as well eventually, so see if you can find out the specs of the computer you want to play it on. There are helpful Simmers in the Tech section of the forums that can tell you if the computer is capable of running the game or not.

I wish you luck and hope you do get the game! :)

Edited to add: Check for sales. If it's on sale you could say, "Wow dad, that game I really want is 50% off, that's so cheap! What a great deal!" You never know it could work. Sometimes my kids use that on me, and it works for them every now and then ;)
    Post edited by joleaco on
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited January 2017
    Haha, trust me. Been there done that. My mom wouldn't let me install TS2 back then cuz we broke our computer from TS1. But that was like more than 14 years ago. Now, I used my own money to buy my own laptop, so my mom can't go against it whatsoever.

So I suggest you just save up your pocket money or something and one day you will get to play the game. :DOr you can ask your dad to buy you a new laptop since it sounds like you get a lot of things pretty easily unlike me. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    edited January 2017
    Ask for your own laptop/pc

Edit:
    A PC without games is like a bookcase without books.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    My parents won't let me have my own laptop until it's time for me to go to college. My uncle even suggested that I should ask if we can build a computer for it, but my dad said that we don't need a game in every room in the house. (I play video games alot) The thing is that my little brother is always hogging up the game, I'm too nice not to let him play though :s . I really liked having the Sims on the pc because I could basically play anytime. And when I got the Sims3 I had to ask my grandma to get it quickly one day that we were at Gamestop :D . Sadly I don't get pocket money either. I think it's pretty fair though because my parents buy stuff for me all the time :D
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    340000453 wrote: »
    My parents won't let me have my own laptop until it's time for me to go to college. My uncle even suggested that I should ask if we can build a computer for it, but my dad said that we don't need a game in every room in the house. (I play video games alot) The thing is that my little brother is always hogging up the game, I'm too nice not to let him play though :s . I really liked having the Sims on the pc because I could basically play anytime. And when I got the Sims3 I had to ask my grandma to get it quickly one day that we were at Gamestop :D . Sadly I don't get pocket money either. I think it's pretty fair though because my parents buy stuff for me all the time :D

Well, in that case, I can't help you cuz I can't think of anymore suggestions. Maybe you could make a trade with him since you get a lot of stuff from them? Like tell him he won't need to buy stuff for you guys for a year (or however often you get new things) if he lets you install The Sims 4?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I guess you're right, I just wanted to share my sadness. Maybe I'll get it one day. Was Off Topic even the right section for this? xD
  • Options
    Scott_PlaysScott_Plays Posts: 15 New Member
    Well I know I'm late but I would still like to add my piece of the cake. (or whatever you say where you are from)

First off I'm gonna sound all adult (Like I actually should) and say your dad is right - aand he is your dad so He'll have the last word in it. But Games do tend to slow down computers significantly. Espacially if those PC's were not intended to run games. We used to have a "Family Computer" which was not at all intended to run games... As we started to clutter up the harddrive with more and more performance using games, we at some point "killed" it. At that point it did not run anymore. Like at all.
    Long Story short my Dad bought a new one and the story repeats until I was earning my own money. (In Switzerland you start working full-time at the age of 15 and you earn a full pay salary at the end of the month. It is smaller though because you're an apprentice.) After a few months of learning the craftmansship of gardner I had enough money to buy my own pc. But I didn't.
    A Friend of mine builds computers as a hobby. Together with his help I then bought my parts, built it together and started it up. I went full-on gaming rig, getting myself more high end pieces than really necessary. That came with a price of course. I paid 1'600 and some Swiss Francs. Which I liket the equivalent to almost 1'800$ at the time.
    That's a lot of money to invest. My parents didn't really care at that point, because I payed with my money which I worked for. However just to make a comparison. A Pre-built full-on gaming rig like mine will cost you upward of 2'500$. I saved like 1'000$ by cutting out the middle man and by doing so I also have my security that this pc will live longer than one from a store. To point out the quality this pc has is that it still runs new higher end games than it was originally intended to. That said, it is fully intended to run games. It was never intended to be a pc that is used to make pie charts of last months income.

So the point I'm trying to get at is, that your Uncle seems to understand what he's talking about. It's a good idea. I went overkill with my equipment, I could have had a pc just as good for a lot cheaper, but I wanted more quality and a longer potential lifespan for my pc, so I invested more.

You can show this to your dad, but I hardly think my post will convince him otherwise. In the end it's gonna be easier for you to save up, sometime in the near (or far) future, buy the hardware to build a gaming pc with the help of someone you trust (maybe your uncle. It seems he knows a thing or two about pc's) and build your very own computer. Which is going to be yours only. You can have your little brother play on it if he asks nicely, but as soon as you want to use it, he saves and gets out of the chair.

(It works for me and I have two of 'em ;))

I really hope that I was able to help a fellow simmer in some way or another.
    Cheers all the way from Switzerland.
  • Options
    xGravityGirlxGravityGirl Posts: 225 Member
    You could list the pros of having TS4 and say you can pay for it (If you can) and do extra work around the house or something? Maybe make a few deals like:

-Work around the house
    -Help with siblings
    -Go out and do things around the town or something
    -Maybe you could get a small job if you don't have one already?

That way you can prove to your parents you can be responsible with the game and the PC and maybe get some extra cash out of it?

Just ideas... that's what I would do if I was in your situation! :)

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Haha, trust me. Been there done that. My mom wouldn't let me install TS2 back then cuz we broke our computer from TS1. But that was like more than 14 years ago. Now, I used my own money to buy my own laptop, so my mom can't go against it whatsoever.

So I suggest you just save up your pocket money or something and one day you will get to play the game. :DOr you can ask your dad to buy you a new laptop since it sounds like you get a lot of things pretty easily unlike me. LOL.

I know that this comment is a year old, but I was afraid that my mom wouldn’t let me get the sims 2!! Eventually, I did tell her and she said yes.
    Oh hamburgers!