Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Jagged Shorelines in Sunlit Tides

I finally have Sims 3 playing well - plays smooth and graphics look great - except for really jagged shorelines in Sunlit Tides - does anyone know what may be causing this? Thank you!

[img][/img]re1sUMb.jpg

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    It's possible Sunlit Tides was issued before seasons and or may not be optimized for seasons snow I have never used seasons in sunlit tides.

@igazor input Thanks!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Sunlit Tides was released before Seasons, but I don't know that any of the EA worlds are optimized for weather. First thing I would suggest is looking at the graphic options in-game again and especially making sure that Advanced Rendering is on (it's a checkbox near the top).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    It is like that when it is not snowing too - just did not have a good picture. I was wondering if it was the Advanced Rendering - I usually keep it off because I usually get that thing where stuff is too bright - like glowing white - when it is on. I will turn it on to see if is what is causing this though. Thank you both!
  • Options

It is better with Advanced Rendering on but is still there. Looks better in game than in the pics. But now have odd jagged cutouts further in from the shoreline. Forgot how pretty Sims 3 is with Advanced Rendering on though! And it does not seem to have the glowing problem too bad - don't have much white in the current household though and it is the white stuff that glows - changed the lights to pink tint and that helps a bit. This jagged thing is not a problem playing so I can live with it - just not sure why it is happening.
    [img][/img]bnxqtQF.jpg
    [img][/img]Yzjfhot.jpg
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    I've had to adjust for that bright glowing bloom over several computers over the years in this game.
    This is a tutorial that can help with that. Maybe with the bloom removed, you can make the other adjustments?
    http://simsfaq.tumblr.com/post/143159021784/the-sims-3-removing-bloom-effect
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    @SemaviLady Thank you so much! Will try that. I cannot take that bright glow - I get migraines from graphics that are way to bright and glowing like that.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Oh, that bloom drives many of us crazy (and I'm prone to migraines from enough sources already as well). But even without those, whoever heard of putting a dish down on a white kitchen counter and then not being able to find where it's sitting? I've often taken the time to adjust it out by softening sources of artificial light and adding more grey or just slightly darker colors to objects that reflect like those shown, but that gets pretty old for those of us who switch active lots often. I should take a closer look at what @SemaviLady suggests myself one of these days.

Could be mistaken, but the jagged land boundaries still showing up might just a function of the way in which the world was designed. But to be fair, in many regards like this TS3 is holding up reasonably well for a game that can only really make use of 800 MB of video memory and whose engine was constructed in 2008-09; things like this are bound to creep in here and there, though.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options

@igazor

:)

The disappearing dishes are even worse in Sims 4 - they hide those things everywhere and you only know it when you see that moldy green stink rising up!

The bright white loading screens in Sims 4 can also trigger my migraines - I had to find a mod to make them blue like in Sims 2. I am going to try what @SemaviLady suggested - hopefully it works because the world is so much prettier with Advanced Rendering on.

The jaggedness may just be because of newer video cards that make things clearer so the lines drawn between the different types of terrain (the land, sand beach, water) end up visible. It is not game breaking and probably the only reason I even noticed it much is that my Sim is an angler so he is at the shorelines a lot.

Thank you all again - really appreciate the input!
  • Options
    @AprilDawn Do you have Nvidia? They claim that Nvidia inspector fixes some of the lines in TS4 so I wonder if Nvidia inspector might help you with TS3. I don't use it but I believe user Simplyjen does should you need help with it.

If you play on Amd ,that's igazors expertize :p
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    It turns out that Shimrod has several mods to tackle the bloom. (It is not one I have tried nor compared with editing the SGR which is truly simple to do) He has one mod specifically for Sunlit Tides. The mods are at SimsAsylum. To download one needs to be a member of SimsAsylum. (you can only use one flavor at a time)
    http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/3329-softlighting-less-bloom-no-full-moon-lighting/

I haven't played Sunlit Tides since I used a core 2 duo to play it since that world was new. So today I started a test game with my new Nvidia 1060 GPU and set speed 3 to browse winter scenes. The shallow coastal beach outlines of Sunlit Tides definitely get noticeably angular although the island scenes are quite gorgeous. The deeper coasts of IP don't do the angularity anywhere to that extent.
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options

@phoebebebe13 I have AMD
    @SemaviLady editing the GraphicsRules seems to have solved the bloom problem but I will bookmark Shimrod's mod in case I need it later.
    Now that the snow has finally gone away - it all looks so much better - those cutouts on the land are gone now and Advanced Rendering really helped with the jagged shoreline. Guess a place named Sunlit Tides that is a tropical paradise is not a great place for snow - go figure! :smile:
    Thanks again - you have all been so helpful - it is great to be able to play Sims 3 again!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Glad to hear that we have a mostly successful (or at least workable) solution here.

But I would like to take this opportunity to point something out to a valued Tech Responder here who keeps telling players that I am some sort of expert on AMD cards and their configuration. Being a poor slob who happens to have a seven year old (but powerful enough still) AMD card and who muddles through using RTSS with it since its older, built-in control panel does almost nothing for me, hardly adds up to the qualifications described. That's almost like saying someone is an expert on electricity because they sometimes on a good day remember how to plug their toaster in before using it. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor You are the resident expert on AMD since none of us who help use AMD. :p You know more than we do ;)