Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 turns off Mac completely

I have a macbook pro mid 2012. I recently bought the Sims 4 and when I first started it up the other day it was working fine and then out of no where it completely turns off my laptop and I have to restart it. Then yesterday and even today when I started it up for the first time, it did the same thing, it started it up and after a little bit it completely shuts down my laptop. Also, after I turned my laptop back on and started the game again, the game ran fine with no problems. Any type of help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

My computer specs:

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Sounds like it may be overheating, it will be shutting itself down to prevent any damage to the hardware. What surface is your Mac on when you play? It needs to be on a hard surface, preferably elevated (a couple of DVD cases under the edges helps), or on some kind of cooling pad/fan. Turn the graphics settings down to low and enable laptop mode in game to reduce strain on graphics chip. Make sure you are up to date with whatever version of OS X you are running.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    nerdowl42nerdowl42 Posts: 44 Member
    I have the exact same model of Macbook Pro and I don't have this shut down issue, but as @BluebellFlora says it could well be due to overheating.

I have my macbook pro on top of a very cheap cooling fan and though I currently don't actually use the fan this does mean it is elevated off the desk.

In case it helps these are the graphical settings I use in the Sims 4 (note I have Get to Work, Dine Out, and Get Together but as far as I recall I've not edited my preferences since the base game anyway):-

Display
    Display Type: Fullscreen
    Resolution: 1,280 * 800
    Refresh Rate: Default

Graphics
    Graphics Quality: Custom
    Sims: High
    Objects: High
    Lighting: Medium (I seemed to recall trying this on high and my mac really didn't like it)
    Reflections: Medium
    Visual Effects: High
    Edge Smoothing: LOW
    3D Scene Resolution: High
    View Distance: High

Post Processing Effects ON
    Laptop Mode OFF

Hope you get your issues fixed :)
    Avatar is my Sim version of Athena Cykes from the Capcom game Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. Don't own the character, just borrowing characters for some fanwork