Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about merging objects into a single catalog prototype ID

There have been rumors in the community that you updated the game so that object items merged into a single catalog entry by making both items share the same catalog ID would have all swatches from the items so merged selectable using the design tool. This has not been my experience although my game is fully patched:

GEtaMqd.png

I'm wondering if this is a feature that was supposed to be fixed that is not fixed completely or if the rumors are mistaken.

Comments

• Options
    SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hey OM,

I am not sure I fully understand the rumored new feature you are describing - is it so that the design tool can not only change color variant, but also change the object as well?

Anyway, we did not make any changes here. If two catalog resources have the same key then the game will only recognize one of them.

-SGMS
  • Options
    _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member

Some creators have stated that they are now able to have two separate .packages both of which share the same key show up in the same catalog entry and have the design tool work as it does for normal items (just one .package with the given key). I think they meant they could have two different clones of the same item, each with its own swatches, show up on the same catalog entry and have both clones work seamlessly with the design tool as if the swatches had all been added to a single clone instead of two clones that were given an identical key. I do not think they meant they could use this to change the object as well.

I looked into it and I could swear I had an item with two .packages merged into one key that did work with the design tool sometimes (the painting shown above: two clones of the same painting each with its own swatches merged into a single catalog entry) but, since you're saying this was not a new feature added I must have been mistaken. Thank you so much for the answer :)
  • Options
    AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
    Just to back up what OM is saying.

Earlier on in the life cycle of The Sims 4, I could make a recolour of an object and alter its Prototype ID to match that of the original object so that both the original item and my additional recolours were all grouped together as one catalogue entry.
    If the object was placed in game with an EA swatch first and I chose to use the design tool on the item, it would show the original swatch options plus my newly added ones but I would only be able to successfully change between the EA swatches. This was also true for the other way around. If the object was originally placed using a custom recolour, the design tool would only let me successfully choose from the other custom recolours. Attempting to use a swatch from the opposing set would result in a script call failure.

Now, if I create recolours, using the same process as used before, and match their Prototype IDs to those of the originals, the game appears to happily switch between swatch sets on an item. I can place an item in an original EA swatch and use the design tool to then choose a custom recolour and the game no longer throws a script call failure.
    a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
    Thoughts on a new wall mode?