Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HELP! Just can't seem to make dormers and roofs work

KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
edited September 2014 in The Sims 4 Lots
I'm loving my work-in-progress house, but the upstairs is giving me fits. To get the look I want, everything upstairs has to be underneath the roof that rests above the first floor with dormers set in to add windows. Here's what the house looks like outside (I really am pleased with it!)

09_22_14_9_25_PM.png

But here's what it looks like so far beneath the roof where the dormers cut in. See how the roof interferes?

09_22_14_9_07_PM.png

Can someone please tell me how they tackle roof problems like this? I've tried dividing the roof up into small segments, but I still get some interference in the corners where the roof overlaps the wall.
Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

Comments

• Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited September 2014
    The way the new roofing works is that roofing disappears inside a complete room unit. For whatever reason, the game is not seeing those areas where the roofing is visible in a room AS a room. What you need to do is redraw rooms for the spaces where there are intrusions....aim for not making the whole upstairs one big room as it seems to cause issues. Try to not freehand draw and delete walls...aim for plopping down room units and then pushing and pulling. It should do the trick.

Edit: oh...and by the way.....your house is SO cute! :)
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    @KaylyRed - I adore your roof! WOW! What a lovely architecture! I see Ruth has already given you a solution. I would suggest the same. Good luck! Can't wait to see more! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks, @ruthless_kk and @yanti68! I'll give that a try. Hopefully I'll get it to work. I suppose my problem is my own workflow - I usually draw roofs as soon as I have the first floor placed, and then I start creating the dormers and such. I'll have to work out the kinks.

Also, thanks for the compliment, Yanti! I really like this house, myself. Wait until it's finished and I show some pics of the house that inspired it--it's a show-stopper! I'd say it's my dream home. :)
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• Options
    xale90xale90 Posts: 209 Member
    That's really cool. Beautiful exterior! The roof is really good. Too bad it bugs like that, I know what you mean :S The roofs in ts4 can be tricky sometimes :|
    Bjork-animated-fix3sec_zpse5f5950f.gif ModernMansionDesign_zps90f720d8.gif Modern-House-Design_zpsf4076eb9.gif GJmTYrF.gif nfh_zps4d3443dd.png
    Click on each image to see the house
  • Options
    Okay, I've been messing around trying to redraw the dormer areas with plop-and-drag rooms. Still having the roof interference issues. This really is the one problem I consistently have with the game right now - the roofs are way too finicky. :(

09_23_14_8_03_AM.png

I wish I could see a video of someone drawing these types of roofs so I could figure out what I'm doing wrong.

• Options
    JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    Hope you sort it as it looks really good. I need to tackle roofs soon, been avoiding them where I can. Good luck.
  • Options
    jenba72jenba72 Posts: 44 Member
    @KaylyRed, that house is adorable! I'm a big fan of Sears homes so I love your others as well.

I share your frustration with roofs and dormers in this game! One thing I did notice is that even though the roof interferes in build mode, it seems to disappear properly in live mode. It still annoys me, though, because the roof gets in the way of my decorating the house. I need to experiment more myself and see if I can make it work the way @ruthless_kk explained.
  • Options
    @jenba72 - Thanks for the compliment! I have a lot of fun making these houses. (If only I could actually live in them.)

I was thinking that maybe this wouldn't be an issue in live mode, so I'll have to test that out. The frustrating thing is that I could end up finishing and decorating the whole thing only to find out it's still bugged in live mode. But at some point I might just say the heck with it and leave the house as it is. *sigh*

• Options
    It seems this might be part of a known bug. This thread has more information. No work-around or fix at this time. :(

• Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    @KaylyRed - Thanks for letting us know! I didn't know that! Hopefully they will fix it in a patch. :)
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    I know it will be a pain, but try doing the that part of the roof in pieces. That is what I have to do with my dormers. Small pieces on either side 2 squares seep and a piece in front of the windows 1 square deep. I really dont like the new roofing tool. I thought I did, but the more I work with it the more frustrated :) I get.

kim :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    kimjo313 wrote: »
    I know it will be a pain, but try doing the that part of the roof in pieces. That is what I have to do with my dormers. Small pieces on either side 2 squares seep and a piece in front of the windows 1 square deep. I really dont like the new roofing tool. I thought I did, but the more I work with it the more frustrated :) I get.

kim :)

Thanks, @kimjo313! Yes, the problems I have are often a matter of the order I do things in, I think. With the house in question, I removed the roof above the first floor entirely (the lower part of the Dutch Colonial style roof) and then drew rooms inside the big open space I had on the second floor. It eliminated all but a few small glitchy areas. It's a huge pain. The more complicated the roof style you're going for, the more likely it is to bug. :(