Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about editing cc for "personal use"

PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
edited June 2018 in General Mods Discussion
I have seen some modders say that they don't want you to alter your cc unless it is for personal use. This I assume means don't then upload the edited piece of cc for others to download, but...

Are you allowed to post pictures of your sims wearing said edited cc? Is that not allowed, or would that be a preference that changes with the different modders, like would I have to consult them "hi, my sim is wearing an edited version of your skin tone or something, can I post a picture of this sim" or would that be weird...

And if I do post a picture of said sim do I have to be all "credits to so and so for this skin I edited"? Like I understand don't take credit for someone else's work, and obviously if someone asked me outright where the skin came from I'd credit the modder and I wouldn't let people download my edited skin, but I don't understand if you post a picture do you have to then go and credit and link to every single piece of cc and mod you used in the picture or is it ok if you just post the picture and go...

And do you assume that all modders will let you edit things for personal use or do you have to ask them.. My TOU for my one single pose pack lol on the sims 4 studio was no editing for even personal use but I realized that's kinda stupid so I went and changed that like literally just now but um... Other modders that actually know what they're doing with their TOU, do they all allow for edits for personal use or do you have to ask them, or..?

Thankyou if you can answer any of these questions!
tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click

Comments

• Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    Bump!
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    This is really a morally ambiguous question. It's up to you how you feel about posting your edit. I don't think there is a set answer. I would ask for my own reasons that if you do post the edit in a picture on the web that you identify it as personal use. If you are posting on the gallery, it's very rare that anyone credits their CC. So, do what you feel comfortable with.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I would say "personal use" includes things like taking and sharing screenshots. Most creators I think would not care whatsoever that you are editing their files as long as you aren't sharing them. I've seen a few who don't even allow edits for personal use, but to be honest that's such a ridiculous expectation and I certainly don't follow it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited June 2018
    If I edit CC and share a screenshot, I will say whose CC it is and that I changed it. Sometimes there's not enough color swatches and I add a few more. So far, I've never shared a sim with CC I modified and I probably won't because it's not my creation, unless that creator gave me permission to reupload their content. It's just for my own use/game.

Same as with Gallery sims I've modified. If I share a screenshot, I will say they aren't my creation. I never upload those either because I simply modified another person's creation for my own use. If people see them and want a copy of the original, I'll tell them the creator's name.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Me personally I share screenshots of my sims wearing the edited CC and if asked, I won't share but I will give full credit. Beyond that I respect the creators T.O.S.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/