Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Those Playing Legacies: When Do You Switch Over Focus From Previous Generation to the New?

I was personally thinking of switching over the focus of my Legacy Story from River & Haruo (my founders) to the Heir when the Heir reaches Young Adult and heads off to University to get his or her degree and see if he or she finds a possible mate.

But I'm curious as to what you do? When do you know when it's right to shift focus from the Parents to the Heir?
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I shift my focus when the heir becomes a YA. My sims are usually in relationships with their future mates well before they age up so my focus is on them producing the next generation as soon as they are able. Of course the previous generation are still important to me so it just means juggling my attention between both sets until the parents die.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Since I'm playing a certain Legacy Challenge (LEPacy), once the heir completes their LTW is when the next generation officially starts. Usually, the next heir is in their teens not yet YA but that's when I shift the focus over.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited March 2018
    I think I waiting until the Heir completes LTW might be a great idea. :) I may do a generation in which the first child to complete the LTW becomes heir.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited March 2018
    I think I waiting until the Heir completes LTW might be a great idea. :)I may do a generation in which the first child to complete the LTW becomes heir.

But then what do you do if your heir's eldest child completes the LTW while a younger sibling is still a toddler? It doesn't seem fair. There are LTWs that require no effort at all for a child to complete (mostly money ones), and others that are easy for a teen to accomplish in only a few days. Those 30k points are just too tempting for me to pass up an easy wish, especially when the kid is pursuing painting or writing or whatever. In my games at least, the first- or second-born would inevitably *win* the right to be the next heir, probably before the youngest even knows that wishes exist at all.
    Post edited by puzzlezaddict on
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    When my next chosen heir becomes a YA, I leave. That will always mean I’ve done with the parents what I wanted to do (and the reason most of my sims don’t get kids early).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Unless you're worried about a full household, the parents could stay and live out their days. I used to kick them out once I moved focus to the next heir but it's kind of nice to keep them around.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    As a general rule when the new focus sim ages up into a YA. However I don't completely forget about the previous gen and will continue to help them reach any goals they haven't reach yet/give them a lot of attention unless I'm playing a save where I'm not allowed to like an ISBI or something along those lines.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    I tend to use WA a lot. I have my sim marry someone from france have 3 kids, once all 3 reach teen I see if any have picked up hidden traits, if they do I pick them and work on skilling them, so as soon as they turn young adult they go to china or eqypt marry a local come home and move out. rinse and repeat. lol
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    I never lose focus on the parents and keep playing them. I think there is a shift after my heir comes back from university with a good idea of what they want to do with their life. After I take them on holiday a couple of times then they get majority of my attention. Sounds similar to your idea :smile:
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,227 Member
    My first three legacies only have two or three generations, but I've switched focus over to the first heir to reach YA. It's hard though to give up writing about the other family members, probably because I'm used to switching around. With one family, if I try to focus only on the heir and his wife, I'm left with little to write about since they mostly eat, sleep and work, not interacting much with each other. So if the parents and younger siblings are doing something interesting or which I can piece together into a plot, I still write about them.
    actually, with that couple, I didn't even switch over completely until they were married. Might do the same with the other two heirs, who are still single. I'd hoped to have both meet their spouses while teens, but that didn't quite work out.
    image.png
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I would start focusing the story telling on new children as they started growing and were starting to do more things in life though I'm playing my entire town in legacies.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    I tend to shift the focus when the heir becomes a teen, just cause that’s when they can start to fall in love with potential love interests and I just really like the teen life state .
  • Options
    ElanoreAlexandriaElanoreAlexandria Posts: 66 Member
    edited March 2018
    I like to play with everyone in my sim's family. I even enjoy checking up on their pets throughout the day. Right now I'm keeping everyone in the same family on the same lot. Any spares will move out on their own after university. I like for everyone to have some sort of goal they're working toward or a hobby they enjoy so I suppose all the sims in my household get a focus. So I guess this is a nonissue for me.

Letting go of spares though.... That's going to be a challenge for me.
    Post edited by ElanoreAlexandria on
  • Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I usually start to focus on the heir once the parent has completed their LTW or the traditional way when the heir has finished Uni and is now a YA.

Currently, I'm playing a game with rules I've made up (not ready to share the rules yet, just testing things out) for a legacy. In it, the heir doesn't begin control until the parent hits their LTW AND reaches level 10 in their chosen career. Kinda tough, but makes for interesting gameplay.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I never drop the parents really, but as for all of the other non-heir siblings they get the boot after completing their LTW. Makes for very full households depending how many kiddies each gen has but I like to give them all the best lives I can. And then when they're about a week from death I move them back in (only so I can take pictures for the folder of 1000+ pictures on mg desktop).
    For example current household is Alex, his twin Ailieah, his wife Becky, their 5 kids Matthew, Marissa, Margaret, Lola, and Logan, Logan's girlfriend Abrianna, and their daughter Summer, plus cat Puddy and dog Maya.
    Marissa and Margaret are both at level 8 of their careers, so once they become level 10 they'll both go to some random house in Lucky Palms. Matthew is a little bit further from his still. And Lola and Logan have only been YA's for 4 days, so Lola won't move out for a while.