Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

a lot of sims!

I am curious how do you divide time to play with each sim when you have a full household? I have a single dad of three boys. The dad is an adult, still looking for love (or at least a one night woohoo. lol). Two teenage sons, one who has a girlfriend and the other looking for a significant other. And then a child. There's a lot going on. There's a lot to be done with expanding their social lives individually. How do you all focus on all your sims with some individuality? It can be daunting. Do you take turns per day with a specific sim? Just go with the flow?

Comments

• Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    In my households, I have autonomy on for all but selected sim, that way when I play any sim the other household members are not just standing around. Of course, that also means they sometimes do dumb things instead of what you cue up for them.

I just rotate around the household as needed, sometimes cueing up skill building stuff or things that take time to do, such as bathe, cook, homework, etc.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    The pause button comes in handy in those large household situations
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    For me, it sometimes depends on what is more important like if my adult sim is nearly an elder then I don't worry about them and focus on their children instead. In my legacy gameplay, I tend to play the adult sim and the sim child who will take over and just click on the other child to focus on their skills as I wont be playing them much anyway.
    If they are all important to you then I would do turn a day with a sim so like the dad on one day then one teen the next day and so on. Or if say dad is watching tv and the child needs to do his homework, they could do that and you can have teen 1 call his girlfriend while teen 2 is in the chat room looking for friends who may turn out to be that special someone.
    I wish we had the turn on/offs and the dating site like we did past Sims games, it made finding love a little bit easier.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    edited January 2018
    I play with full autonomy on. I also queue up tasks for a majority of the household, then concentrate on the Sim I intend to follow once they move out on their own. It's crazy and it's very hard to do. For the very first time, I discovered I had a toddler who wasn't being sufficiently being taken care of. Social was red. I was shocked and appalled at MYSELF. I'm usually way more attentive — particularly with the wee ones. Just makes me realize I have to be on my toes, more. But, I'm only happy when the household is maxed out. I guess in the game I love the chaos. Just not in RL LOL Just made a very long trip by car to CA from UT with a pregnant daughter and her two youngest, ages 3 and 15 month old. We did a straight shot on the trip down. Then on the way back we took two days. For the most part, the babies were okay. Grandma (me) almost survived. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    horseypotatohorseypotato Posts: 23 Member
    I tend to play with the adults more (probably because there's more options) but I also rotate around a lot to make sure everyone's needs are being met
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    I really need to get braver and play 8 Sims. Although I'm not sure my computer would like it too much.
    (Have to add - I do not know why, @horseypotato - but for some odd reason when I saw your user name, I burst out laughing.)
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I only ever played 8 Sims with an asylum challenge, so I only controlled one. I usually have autonomy on full, except for selected SIM. That way the rest will do things and I only control one at a time.
  • Options
    horseypotatohorseypotato Posts: 23 Member
    @applefeather2 haha it was an old username I made during my 'random' phase and it just stuck :D and I know what you mean about your computer not being able to handle it, my laptop slows down so much when changing between sims in a large family especially after having the game open for long periods
  • Options
    vanee4vanee4 Posts: 119 Member
    I seldom play with more than 6 Sims in one household. I tend to focus on one sim more than on others. But I try to think of interesting things to do for the others too.
    So one main sim and more or less at least one day with a bit more focus on another sim.
  • Options
    I play with aging off so I have more time with each life stage and just cake them when I feel they're ready. I try to focus on one sim at a time, skill building, relationship building, doing the whims that they want. Then switch to another the next day, I do switch around when the sim I'm focusing on that day goes to work/school or another sim in the household is having some kind of issue.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I used to play with autonomy off. I felt my game ran smoother that way. Then I got a new computer and now I leave autonomy on. It's soooooo much less stressful! I don't have to do a whole lot of clicking around between people. They do their own thing.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I tend to focus on my "main" character and let autonomy take care of the others, unless something stupid is happening and I have to intervene.
  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    I play with full autonomy and I am still never able to play a household with more than 4 members max. I micro manage very much so I do find myself pausing a lot to queue up tasks.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    I was congratulating myself on handling a couple of 8 sim households in a row in my rotation, and then a teenage vampire incinerated herself. :#
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I don't even try to play with all of them. I normally choose one or two to focus on and leave everyone else to their own devices. For the most part. Sometimes I just have to intervene.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    So far the highest I've gotten when playing fully is a 6 sim household. The pause button is a good friend of mine and works wonders to queue up everyone in the household since I play with full autonomy on, specifically starting with those who have careers or school work to do, to always focus on knocking daily tasks first, then if any promotion requirements work on that. Once even that is done, I just focus on their leisure of any sort, and when there are days off for many in the house I take turns focusing on one then the other. Unemployed sims in the household I generally let them do what they want for awhile without me attending them.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member
    edited January 2018
    I usually play generation challenges so i have my main heir whom i focus on. When the babies are born, i then share the focus with the next heir. The rest of the family i leave for themselves, although i check on them quite often to fill their needs, career goals or aspirations. I use pause a lot too
    Origin ID: minimalcanary
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    I play with an extended family (grandparents, my current gen, their husband and 3 kids w/ maybe another child otw?) And before that their house was the grandparents, my current gen and her child, her brother, his child and gf, and a dog.

Things got so hectic that I’d just hit pause and sit for a minty bc I’d be so burnt out :joy:
  • Options
    NineyNiney Posts: 341 Member
    IDK how but somehow, it happens and i manage

(Try playing a sim when its their day off)
    8D254E7C-6319-4EC6-BB93-06A4E6EB63DD.jpg
  • Options
    LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    I'm very easily bored if I don't have at least 3+ sims to micro-manage and I have several full households. I play aging off and pause often to give everyone new instructions. 'm definitely the love-micromanaging type of a player. They do have autonomy, but very often they don't get to use it much because I keep their actions queued anyway.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    I play with an extended family (grandparents, my current gen, their husband and 3 kids w/ maybe another child otw?) And before that their house was the grandparents, my current gen and her child, her brother, his child and gf, and a dog.

Things got so hectic that I’d just hit pause and sit for a minty bc I’d be so burnt out :joy:

honestly this is why I prefer that I can't control my pets and they don't die easily. I don't really have to worry about them too much.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I usually leave free will on and just handle a couple sims, mostly because I like to see what they do without me but if I control more I pause a lot just in case.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    edited January 2018
    Most of my rotation households are large, 8 sims and I love it. I like to be very busy managing each sim. Currently I play household of 4+ dog and it’s a little boring. I moved 2 older children and their spouses out , but thinking to move at least 1 family back. I love playing clubs, so I invite clubs every day if I play smaller household, often two clubs at once. Yesterday my sims were invited to the party at the bluffs, they went and invited two clubs to the party . It was the best party ever.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    I tend to focus on my "main" character and let autonomy take care of the others, unless something stupid is happening and I have to intervene.

You sound like me. That's basically what I do, too. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/