Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Differences between CAS and ingame

Hello everyone,

I have a fairly simple question.
I'm currently playing my sims 3 game. in CAS the edges seem jagged (not anti aliased) while my anti aliasing setting is put on High.
Ingame there seems to be no problem at all.
In my Nvidia CP it's on too by the way.

What can I do to fix this?
Greetings

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    CAS is different than the game. The sims look different in game than CAS. Your video card is now higher and you will notice flaws in the game . The game is what it is.
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I know, but i'm noticing it ingame too. @phoebebebe13
  • Options
    Yea the jagged edges on sims can be seen in game too. The game is not perfect. You have a good video card and higher resolution. your going to notice all the flaws. The game is 9 years old . You have a new computer that is not even a year old ;)
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I understand that. But I reinstalled my game, and before it didn't do this.
    My edge smoothing is on its highest ingame. Do I need to put settings in my Nvidia CP too?
  • Options
    I have never changed my Nvidia settings for this game. My game has always looked the same. You can try asking @Karritz or maybe @SimplyJen
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited January 2018
    Do you have any pictures to show what is happening?

My NVIDIA card is better than I had before and it seems to show my sims just fine.

I wonder if you have set your frame rates? Mine are set to 60 but that's what my computer requires.

You need to go into NVIDIA Control Panel to do that.

EDIT: If you haven't limited your frame rates you will probably destroy your video card sooner rather than later as it will get too hot. Sims 3 doesn't stop the frame rates getting too high you need to set it yourself.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm not so sure framerate has much to do with jagged lines (edge smoothing) unless we are talking about screen tearing which is different.. But having vsync on is important to lock frames to your monitors refresh rate. Info for that here under spolier:
    Try this first...
    right-click desktop Nvidia Control Panel
    26767660101_141c4c169b_o.png
    This method requires fullscreen mode in order to work.

If you already tried control panel and it didn't work, try Nvidia Inspector.
    Download & Install Nvidia Inspector

Look for the small tool icon or green symbol next to Driver Version. Click to launch Nvidia Profile Inspector.
    32116585614_b1a35cf00a_o.png
    Select Profiles at the top and scroll through the long list to find Sims 3.
    32806054772_51f1b0bbec_o.png
    Under Sync and Refresh, select Vertical Sync > Force On
    In windowed mode you may have to add an additional setting. Frame Rate Limiter > 60 fps *This number should reflect your own refresh rate so be sure to double check what yours is.
    Windows search > Display Settings > Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties > Monitor > (here you will see refresh rate for your screen)
    37397040374_1cb5f896b0_o.png
    Apply Changes top right corner.

Track FPS in-game with the cheat fps on. Small text will appear in the corner and it should be capped at whatever your screens refresh rate is. Frame drops are normal but the goal is to not go over that number. Nvidia Inspector does not require fullscreen mode but if the frames aren't capping, you can try the additional setting under Sync and Refresh setting Frame Rate Limiter to whatever your screens refresh rate is.

@Jean Are you playing in Fullscreen mode? Try Fullscreen mode. What resolution are you playing in? You may need to check if graphics driver is up to date or roll back if this started after updating recently.

As for using Nvidia Control Panel for anti-aliasing, it's overriding the in-game settings. You can try turning edge smoothing OFF in-game then relaunch the game. Sometimes the game has trouble allowing the override. It's strange that you would need the control panel to control this and I can't say it's normal but some have experienced this sort of thing before.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/