Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Same sparring opponent every time?

I'm doing "The Grand Master's Fight" challenge in China. I have to win a martial arts tournament. I called my first opponent, Liu Pei, and invited him over. We sparred and I beat him. I went to the phone to call my next opponent. I'm informed that my next opponent, Liu Pei, is already on the lot. Okay...? So I sparred again. Won again. Went to invite over the next opponent and...I bet you know what happened.

So how it's been like 10 times and Liu Pei is my next opponent every time. How do I actually win this thing?

Comments

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Your sim wins the championship when he or she has won 20 ranked matches. You can see the number of wins in the skill challenge page for Martial Arts. I think every 5 wins increases your sim's rank, and your sim will win once they reach rank 5 (or something like that).

I usually have 1 or 2 sims come up a second time while sparring with ranked opponents, and once had another active family member who wasn't trying for the championship be the next opponent. I've never had the same sim be the opponent 10 times though. That's odd.

If you use NRaas MasterController and its Cheats module you can click on the sim>NRaas>MasterController>Intermediate>Drop Opponents. This should force the game to drop assigned chess and martial arts opponents and reroll again for an opponent. I don't know if there's any guarantee the game won't choose the same sim again but I haven't had that happen yet.
  • Options
    luvalphvleluvalphvle Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited October 2017
    I checked my skill journal.

Tournament Rank : 0
    Tournament Wins: 0 Losses: 0

Even though I've sparred with Liu Pei many many many times. I don't have the "Drop Opponents" option on my Intermediate screen, though.
  • Options
    I deleted Liu Pei and called the next tournament contender, Sun Young Su. My Sim beat her. Went to call the next contender and it's Sun Young Su again. My skill journal still shows no wins, no losses, tournament rank 0.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Well, it's working now.

I bought a vacation home in Shang Simla and then invited over the next sparring opponent. Sun Young Su, naturally. I clicked on her to spar and I got the option "invite to ranked sparring match" instead of just "spar". That was different. So maybe you have to be at your home lot before the tournament option is valid? I was trying to spar at the academy and having no luck.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Glad it's working now! Makes perfect sense, tournaments taking place at home, just like in real life :rolleye: ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    luvalphvle wrote: »
    Well, it's working now.

I bought a vacation home in Shang Simla and then invited over the next sparring opponent. Sun Young Su, naturally. I clicked on her to spar and I got the option "invite to ranked sparring match" instead of just "spar". That was different. So maybe you have to be at your home lot before the tournament option is valid? I was trying to spar at the academy and having no luck.

I've done plenty of tournaments at the academy, and have done several matches at the base camp. Owning a vacation home has never been a requirement in my game. You do have to use the 'invite to ranked sparring match' option. The 'spar' interaction isn't the same.

I don't know why it wouldn't work for you until your sim bought a vacation home, but it's good to hear that it's working for you now.