Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about moving sims3packs

Quick question:
Is there a way I can safely transfer installed sims3packs from the DCCache and/or DCBackup into a different sims 3 DCCache/DCBackup (that already has some installed)?

It looks like it would be easier to transfer them from the DCBackup to DCBackup but I'm not sure what to do about DCCache

Comments

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    The DCBackup is only used for exports (for sharing to the Exchange, for example). If you never export sims or lots then you can delete everything but the ccmerged.package file. If you do share lots and sims with Launcher installed CC, the only package files you'd need to keep are what you've installed through the Launcher.

DCCache files holds the content you've installed through the Launcher, both Store and CC. You might be able to move one DCCache folder from one TS3 folder to another (I've never done this), but adding to already existing content? Dunno if that's possible.
  • Options
    td998td998 Posts: 358 Member
    Hm, that's a shame. It's not a huge deal, I just hoped I would be able to do that rather than go through and redownload a bunch of content, but it's not too much of a hassle. I quite enjoy getting custom content.

Thanks anyway!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    In theory you should be able to move a dbc bundle of content from one DCCache folder to another provided that you rename the dbc files so that they remain sequential, starting with 0, in the destination folder. In practice this sounds like a good way to accidentally end up with the same content installed more than once. I also think the Launcher may get confused about where to add the next sims3pack CC item it is told to install and you may end up with a broken set of content altogether. I wouldn't risk it myself.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    td998td998 Posts: 358 Member
    Hm yeah. Sounds like too many things could go wrong. Best to just download some new content. Oh well, at least my game is working :)
  • Options
    GaiaWainwrongGaiaWainwrong Posts: 36 Member
    I usually just put them (well along with the whole electronic arts folders) in my hard-drive.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I usually just put them (well along with the whole electronic arts folders) in my hard-drive.
    If you are going to try to answer what amounts to a technical question for other players, could you at least please try to make the answer match what the player is asking? Thanks.

By the way, you know better than this. Having multiple accounts on this forum is against the rules. :angry:
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    GaiaWainwrongGaiaWainwrong Posts: 36 Member
    > @igazor said:
    > GaiaWainwrong wrote: »
    >
    > I usually just put them (well along with the whole electronic arts folders) in my hard-drive.
    >
    >
    >
    > If you are going to try to answer what amounts to a technical question for other players, could you at least please try to make the answer match what the player is asking? Thanks.
    >
    > By the way, you know better than this. Having multiple accounts on this forum is against the rules. :angry:

That was me when I needed the vainright and now I don't need them. There's a personality change involved. This is what Wainwrong means.
    Plus, if I make a new account, it means the gallery from my next Sims 4 will be connected to my new account, instead of having an account that's connected to the gallery of a deinstalled TS4.

Anyway, I often move my Electronic Arts folders in an external hard drive with total commander. Kupo!