Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New computer...do I lose my sims game?

I am finally getting a new computer. How do I move my existing game to the new computer so I don't lose my progress? I finally got mods, cc, and all my worlds working and I am so afraid to move computers and it crash.

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    You need to install the game from scratch on your new computer . Start the game it will generate your sims 3 game folder in documents. I usually transfer my whole sims 3 folder in documents via USB flash drive from my old computer to the new and just replace the newly created sims 3 folder on the new install with the one I saved from my old computer. Since you have mods and possibly allot of cc my method may not work for you. You may have to transfer files separately. @igazor can help you with that
  • Options
    LoveandhateLoveandhate Posts: 553 Member
    I am also looking for some help. But my issue is, my downloads folder doesn't have as many downloads as my game does considering most of my files download through Sims files in the launcher. How do I get my downloads from my launcher? Would I use my DCBackup?
    Have a great, blessed day!
    Sims 3 store: ScarlettRing

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I am also looking for some help. But my issue is, my downloads folder doesn't have as many downloads as my game does considering most of my files download through Sims files in the launcher. How do I get my downloads from my launcher? Would I use my DCBackup?
    The Launcher can only display a fixed number of items in each category (its "tabs") before it gives up and stops trying. The best way to work with downloaded content is to keep only small amounts of it in the Downloads folder to be read by the Launcher and only long enough to install it, so say 10 items at a time or so, then remove them from there and store elsewhere if desired. The goal would be to keep Downloads mostly empty except for some small files that keep showing up related to Badges ("dynamic challenges"). None of that content needs to stay in Downloads to be usable in-game.

The content, once actually installed, really lives in bundles in the DC Cache Folder. The ebc bundles are EA Store content, the dbc bundles are custom (CC). Any tmp files in there are useless garbage but they will keep coming back if you delete them unless you play offline.

That which is in DCBackup is really for exporting sims and lots with content attached to them that other players can use. Except for one small file, CCmerged, that does need to stay in there it's actually best to delete all of that stuff if you have no intention of doing such exports.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SvetlanaDragoSvetlanaDrago Posts: 15 New Member
    What if as in my situation, my pc is fried. Is everything lost? Omg. All that work! Say it ain't so!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    What if as in my situation, my pc is fried. Is everything lost? Omg. All that work! Say it ain't so!
    If the hard drive isn't dead, you can pay someone to recover data or Google how to do this yourself. It can be quite pricey.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    One has to think of a saved TS3 game as if it's a document, or actually a folder full of documents. If it's not backed up to an external drive, the cloud, or some other physical device by the player making one or more of thse things happen, and the drive on which it was created and being played becomes totally inaccessible, then yes I'm afraid the data is gone.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net