Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3rd floor issue

I have a house that has a very small 3rd floor area. However, when I got to the 3rd floor and put walls down, the roof stays visible and I can't decorate the walls. If I do all walls down, I am able to see the 3rd floor, but not the walls of room. Not sure if this makes sense. But it's irritating that the roof keeps appearing and I can't really furnish this 3rd floor area.

Comments

• Options
    KlueniiKluenii Posts: 90 Member
    edited June 2017
    Have you tried removing the roof, completing the decorating then placing the roof again? I think I've had the issue you're describing .. but I've had the same household lot on the go for 9 generations so it's been awhile since I've done any building in my game.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Kluenii wrote: »
    Have you tried removing the roof, completing the decorating then placing the roof again? I think I've had the issue you're describing .. but I've had the same household lot on the go for 9 generations so it's been awhile since I've done any building in my game.

I didn't try removing the roof. I guess I didn't think the roof itself, was the issue. But good idea! Thanks!
  • Options
    KlueniiKluenii Posts: 90 Member
    No Problem :) I tend to build in stages rather than all in one shot and find that sometimes the roof I think is attached to the 3rd floor is actually attached in places to the 2nd floor. While this isn't likely the case in your situation, the solution that works for me might be a work around for you so thought I'd at least suggest it :) Hope it works for you!
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If you build an attic room inside the roof, this will happen. I build attics by building the rooms three tiles in from the outer walls below. A roof section is three tiles deep.

For example, if you build a rectangle box first floor, 25 tiles long by 15 tiles deep, you can build an attic floor 25 tiles long (gable end to gable end) and 9 tiles deep. Place the half roof (three tiles deep) on the top of the first floor, gable to gable, on the front and back. This will leave the attic box with no roof. Now, add a peaked roof to the top of the attic walls. The roofs will meet and make one complete peaked roof with gables. (You can add dormers to the attic floor, if wanted.)

Now, when you change levels, the wall will be clear and the roof will not interfere.
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    Sadly that's just what happens in those rooms with a roof going through it in Build Mode. When you are in live mode the roof disappears though
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Like Dannydanbo said, you have to build the roof in sections in order to prevent it.

You might find my tutorial on how to build dormers useful, since that is a slightly more advanced version of the same technique.
    You can find it here: https://mdianasanders.tumblr.com/post/161657272445/how-to-build-dormers-without-roofs-clipping
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Like Dannydanbo said, you have to build the roof in sections in order to prevent it.

You might find my tutorial on how to build dormers useful, since that is a slightly more advanced version of the same technique.
    You can find it here: https://mdianasanders.tumblr.com/post/161657272445/how-to-build-dormers-without-roofs-clipping

Thank you!
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If you build an attic room inside the roof, this will happen. I build attics by building the rooms three tiles in from the outer walls below. A roof section is three tiles deep.

For example, if you build a rectangle box first floor, 25 tiles long by 15 tiles deep, you can build an attic floor 25 tiles long (gable end to gable end) and 9 tiles deep. Place the half roof (three tiles deep) on the top of the first floor, gable to gable, on the front and back. This will leave the attic box with no roof. Now, add a peaked roof to the top of the attic walls. The roofs will meet and make one complete peaked roof with gables. (You can add dormers to the attic floor, if wanted.)

Now, when you change levels, the wall will be clear and the roof will not interfere.

While I haven't had the issue the OP was describing, I've been struggling with doing roofs. Thank you for these tips!
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Roofs are the bane of my existence. Probably one of the reasons I don't build and when I do, its always something with a suuuuper simple roof and I do it last lmao
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Roofs are the bane of my existence. Probably one of the reasons I don't build and when I do, its always something with a suuuuper simple roof and I do it last lmao

You're not alone in your roofing woes. I shared my Legacy House on a thread and one very kind player offered to 'fix my roof' if I was willing. I put it up on the Gallery, the person uploaded it and returned it to me via the Gallery and then I removed it from the Gallery. I must say, the new roof was incredible. Some people get a double-dose of talent.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/