Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we get more time period clothing?

A lot of use the Sims for story telling, myself included. Quite a bit of my stories are from different time periods, the majority being medieval. Yet there aren't really any clothes or hairs outside of CC for other time periods like Crowns, Dresses, Armor (Chain Mail, Plate, Leather etc) Or any futuristic stuff either.

I'd like to see more clothes/hairs for those so we us story tellers can tell more unique stories, just as City living finally let me create unique ethnicities.

Just want to say now though, I wouldn't want these to be randomly generated on townies. I think a Medieval stuff pack would be super cool though, or even a game pack with a world like Dragon Valley.
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Comments

• Options
    Hobbitmama75Hobbitmama75 Posts: 75 Member
    Yes, yes and yes to this - I can't say how many times I've struggled to dress settler/pre-18th c sim families - I agree there is next to nothing from cc creators on this, so some suitable peasant dresses that aren't in lurid colours would work wonders.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Yes my inner history nerd craves more historical clothing. and cultural themed stuff/clothing.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Yes, yes and yes to this - I can't say how many times I've struggled to dress settler/pre-18th c sim families - I agree there is next to nothing from cc creators on this, so some suitable peasant dresses that aren't in lurid colours would work wonders.

Trying to do those too, with pilgrims or farm girls and boys etc.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    YEah, history is my thing.

I'd like some really simple, but realistic stuff.

Underwear/sleepwear
    6f3953f47cdf79feed4641465fef4e57.jpg
    undertunic-sven-linen.jpg

Everyday medieval clothes
    A really basic sort of everyday sort of medieval gown
    8813fef313b6b90a4df30059a356828d.jpg

A simple sort of tunic for men
    medieval-tunic-europe-9-12-century-5.jpg

Basic sorts of button up type things
    99_2.jpg
    IMG_0235.JPG
    1285071b4a5a40d9001d93bda3eae5c1.jpg

And slightly fancier versions
    750c533d800c333ad8aa721f2b017f88.jpg
    Historic-176-011106.jpg
    cotehoodct04.jpg

Realistic renaissance rustics
    Underwear/sleepwear
    7dd04c5eb1fa5a558d84016c7cc12743.jpg
    il_570xN.387914135_j263.jpg

poorer.jpg
    2B769E4A00000578-3202074-image-a-67_1439901371547.jpg
    a69fe712974cc61b27cbef1f4b3d3de7.jpg
    2f709d5adfd56fd4f9cf8acb9b13d4b1.jpg
    5cc1d9067bfceb1a0f1b358f1769eb49.jpg

542c6c8769c47af049f8e63f09cae555.jpg
    68f812cc4b205172ce03c7169eead9a7.jpg
    il_fullxfull.387923656_mu4s_0.jpg?itok=EBv06Gnm
    the_kings_servants.jpg
    b5763e20220e847aaead54d5a441dfde.jpg

The sort of stuff that can look like peasant clothing, but in fancier patterns it becomes suited to the fancy folk.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Yes please!
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Possible packs that could include this sort of clothing:

- A pack with Witches could include gothic/medieval gowns, cloaks etc. Werewolves also fit with medieval clothing styles. (Stained, dirty, torn linen clothes and fancy old-fashioned cloaks etc.)

- A Pirate pack (as in my signature) would include clothing of the 1600's.

- A pack that allows us to play in Medieval times (probably through a time machine) would obviously have medieval clothes lol.

- A Farming pack wouldn't exactly have medieval clothes, but the dirty and stained clothes would serve quite well for "peasants" haha.

More of this style would be awesome, so I'm hoping to see it in packs that have suitable themes.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I agree, but I want the romanticized versions. meaning it looks a lot better than it did historically.

For Werewolves GP I would love a 1750 - 1800s Aristocracy fashion

I'm thinking Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella.

For Sorcerers I would Love, and this is what I mean by romanticizing it. I want the 1500s, and Celtic, Gaelic fashions.
    I love Reign the TV show, and Once Upon a Time I would love their fashion designs.
    10890607_513344358806184_302626254_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=ODkzNzM4OTYxNDEzOTY3Mjk1.2

and I'm talking all of it not just the high end ball gowns, and formal wear, even wear for commoners, before I get attacked
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I agree, but I want the romanticized versions. meaning it looks a lot better than it did historically.
    I hate the romanticised version of history.

But I'd be ok with a bit of a middle ground, stuff that's somewhere between purely fantastical romanticised poo, and the real gritty stuff.

Celtic, Gaelic fashions.
    *Glares at that C word*
    I love Reign the TV show, and Once Upon a Time I would love their fashion designs.
    The clothing for the women in Reign is modern couture. There's nothing relating to the era about it... unless you mean the frocks have long skirts. I've never seen once upon a time, but I assume it's similar.
    and I'm talking all of it not just the high end ball gowns, and formal wear, even wear for commoners, before I get attacked
    Speaking of attacks, I don't even like the clothes in vikings, nor the last kingdom, either.
    I'm a history snob, and proud of it, cos those who fail to learn their history, are doomed to repeat it inaccurately.

The Hollow Crown, however, is very well costumed, as was Shakespeare in Love, and the 2013 version of Romeo and Juliet, and Anonymous, Wolf Hall (though the codpieces are severely lacking). There are plenty of movies that have spectacular costumes, that are also true to history.

There's also Kingdom of Heaven (without Eva Greens Character, the rest is pretty good), and The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (and like Gilles de Rais, I am in love with those siege engines. The film also has a lot of good peasant clothes, and some fantastic fashions of the french court in that era).

And then there are the comedy shows, that wipe the floor with the try-to-be-serious-but-have-terrible-costumes-shows.
    I'm serious, just look at Upstart Crow, Blackadder, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Plebs, and from what I've seen from the trailer, The Little Hours. It's really odd that the shows that don't take themselves so seriously, somehow manage to have awesome yet accurate costumes.
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    YES! YES! YES! A medieval SP would be most appreciated! I couldn't agree with this idea more.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Yes! Anything from medieval to 18th century clothing and fashion. Makes me miss TS3's Dragon Valley.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    I

And then there are the comedy shows, that wipe the floor with the try-to-be-serious-but-have-terrible-costumes-shows.
    I'm serious, just look at Upstart Crow, Blackadder, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Plebs, and from what I've seen from the trailer, The Little Hours. It's really odd that the shows that don't take themselves so seriously, somehow manage to have awesome yet accurate costumes.

You just named a few shows I watch. Plebs is one of my all time favourites.

I would love historical clothing and I don't even mind if it's a little romanticised. As long as there are no chainmail bikinis and stupid stuff like that!
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I hate the romanticised version of history.

But I'd be ok with a bit of a middle ground, stuff that's somewhere between purely fantastical romanticised poo, and the real gritty stuff.

Celtic, Gaelic fashions.
    *Glares at that C word*
    The clothing for the women in Reign is modern couture. There's nothing relating to the era about it... unless you mean the frocks have long skirts. I've never seen once upon a time, but I assume it's similar.
    Speaking of attacks, I don't even like the clothes in vikings, nor the last kingdom, either.
    I'm a history snob, and proud of it, cos those who fail to learn their history, are doomed to repeat it inaccurately.

The Hollow Crown, however, is very well costumed, as was Shakespeare in Love, and the 2013 version of Romeo and Juliet, and Anonymous, Wolf Hall (though the codpieces are severely lacking). There are plenty of movies that have spectacular costumes, that are also true to history.

There's also Kingdom of Heaven (without Eva Greens Character, the rest is pretty good), and The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (and like Gilles de Rais, I am in love with those siege engines. The film also has a lot of good peasant clothes, and some fantastic fashions of the french court in that era).

Celtic! >:)

I guess that's what I like about Reign Fashion, They dress inaccurately. If they dressed the way in reign they probably would have been hanged, or stoned.

Once upon a time, is similar, but more fantasy, a little more edgy

Yeah I'm not really going for bland, Covered from head to toe.
    d7dba134d83ec746ea84a5a8eefb0d98.jpg
    Queen Regina From Once Upon a Time.

The thing is my "History" is sort of fiction.

My characters never really have existed anywhere outside my imagination. plus there is Supernatural, fantasy, and magic involved
    However they just fit that time period, their story begins, in 1820 Paris, France. An arranged marriage between a rich (Greek/Italian) woman Still in the process of Creating her, Diane Fengári and Gideon Barbosa French/Portuguese well decorated Admiral of France.

the night of their wedding, poetically it was a Full moon. Diane the Young Alpha Werewolf, Killed her Husband, and his family, took their combined fortune. Conveniently found her True Love, also a werewolf relentlessly trying to get Drunk (drinking beer with a hint of wolfsbane) at a Tavern at the Docks, Adam Jordan, a Lord of his own right, sobered up, They also Stole a few Ships, and they and their followers fled to New England.
    Where they built a city of their own.
    Built a mansion
    Unfortunately shortly after settling and establishing their city, the Civil War broke out, but it didn't really effect the city of Briarwood.
    to keep spirits up they through parties had the money for protection... Adam was a Smart man, a Visionary, and Diane was cunning, together they really set the foundation of what there City has become.

That was until December of 1899, The Jordan House Raid. Lead by a woman named Alexandra, the Cover up Story was it Rival Companies dating back to the Civil War, It was Alexandra's Father, who did help protect the city when it went under siege for half a year. But once He saw who/what Adam really was(a werewolf), he abandoned the mission, (Hoping it would kill Adam) that backfired, Adam Succeeded in the mission, took the credit, Alex's father, was captured the occupants and killed. So Alexandra did her research, found out, successfully, wiped out the Jordan Family and took control of the City as the new wealthiest family, and the Clan of Magic Hunters was born with Her family.

So I'm more concerned with my own city's/sim's history, and how I imagine what it looked like, what they wore, not so much real history.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    I agree with this. I don't have any medieval stories (those I play in Sims Medieval itself :P ) but in those times many people were poor. I'd love to see some poverty clothes. My sims family were extremely poor (50 simoleans a week) and they're now the richest sims (10 million) but in the beginning their clothes were modern and middleclass. I'd love to see ragged robes, torn clothes or just dirty clothes.
  • Options
    If they dressed the way in reign they probably would have been hanged, or stoned.
    Burned is more likely.
    No one said you had to, but some of us want pesant styles, for the common folk. It makes no sense for everyone to be dressed like nobility (even if it is just a fantasy version of nobles), there's got to be something for your cinder-soot to wear, or the stable boy, or the average farmers wife who really wants a child.

Same.
    Heck, the history of one of my sims involves vampires.
    But that doesn't stop me from wanting a bit more realism in the clothing.
    That sim was the grandson of a baker, his mother worked in a kitchen, they were poor. And even though he became a count, the familys luck didn't last. He didn't spend his teenage years wearing fancy breeches!
    and how I imagine what it looked like, what they wore, not so much real history.
    I don't quite get that. But I guess it comes down to education. I'm educated in the reality of the history of western clothing, and like others who are educated in this field, many fantasy 'historical' shows just make me cringe. It's the story that I imagine, the clothes and lifestyle are closer to hisorically realistic, because of this:
    Look at that frock you posted.
    What is it made from? Where did it come from? How does it work? What goes under it? What are the sparkly bits made from? Who made them?
    How does her hair stay like that? Is her lipstick going to kill her, or just send her insane?

I even write fantasy stories, with a heavy slant towards the economy of my fantasy lands. The more logic there is to a setting, the more immersed the reader becomes. It's what I love about GOT.

• Options
    MaanedatterMaanedatter Posts: 32 Member
    Yes this would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If they dressed the way in reign they probably would have been hanged, or stoned.
    Burned is more likely.
    No one said you had to, but some of us want pesant styles, for the common folk. It makes no sense for everyone to be dressed like nobility (even if it is just a fantasy version of nobles), there's got to be something for your cinder-soot to wear, or the stable boy, or the average farmers wife who really wants a child.

Same.
    Heck, the history of one of my sims involves vampires.
    But that doesn't stop me from wanting a bit more realism in the clothing.
    That sim was the grandson of a baker, his mother worked in a kitchen, they were poor. And even though he became a count, the familys luck didn't last. He didn't spend his teenage years wearing fancy breeches!
    and how I imagine what it looked like, what they wore, not so much real history.

I don't quite get that. But I guess it comes down to education. I'm educated in the reality of the history of western clothing, and like others who are educated in this field, many fantasy 'historical' shows just make me cringe. It's the story that I imagine, the clothes and lifestyle are closer to hisorically realistic, because of this:
    Look at that frock you posted.
    What is it made from? Where did it come from? How does it work? What goes under it? What are the sparkly bits made from? Who made them?
    How does her hair stay like that? Is her lipstick going to kill her, or just send her insane?

I even write fantasy stories, with a heavy slant towards the economy of my fantasy lands. The more logic there is to a setting, the more immersed the reader becomes. It's what I love about GOT.

What I meant by Bland I don't mean just commoner wear. I've googled 17th to early 20th century clothing, ranging between low class and aristocracy, In select countries.

I found a decent amount of clothing that I loved, but mainly looking at casual wear the majority of it all, were bland.

And what I mean by "not real history" my stories are fiction but within those time periods (my stories pick up shortly after The French Revolution up to today. I'm only educated this history of history I found interesting. (King Henry VIII, Elizabeth, Mary Stuart, Versailles, Marie Antoinette, most of the French Revolution, and after that East American history mainly around New England.)

I mean I get having tools, I'm not particularly going to use bonnets and powdered wigs,but make it happen.

I'm just thinking about townies, sims that generate, and the setting sims are in now.
    I just want it to look good, incase my sim is walking down Main Street with a petticoat, or crinoline. Kind of as if sims are doing a reenactment and it's okay if the Sim pulls out their phone.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    Sims_for_lifeSims_for_life Posts: 195 Member
    I do think that it's a great idea, however there should be an option that allows you to disable the clothes, because I don't think that the older style of clothes would nessesarily fit with the modern clothes. Also if there was a way to disable certain styles it would allow for a realistic time shift.
    I am the champion, my friend
  • Options
    I do think that it's a great idea, however there should be an option that allows you to disable the clothes, because I don't think that the older style of clothes would nessesarily fit with the modern clothes. Also if there was a way to disable certain styles it would allow for a realistic time shift.

That's a good idea.
    I wish we could do it now. Getting tired of seeing certain outfits, out late at night.
    I found a decent amount of clothing that I loved, but mainly looking at casual wear the majority of it all, were bland.
    Either your idea of bland isn't the same as my idea of bland, or you weren't looking at the really exciting stuff that really existed.
    And what I mean by "not real history" my stories are fiction but within those time periods (my stories pick up shortly after The French Revolution up to today. I'm only educated this history of history I found interesting. (King Henry VIII, Elizabeth, Mary Stuart, Versailles, Marie Antoinette, most of the French Revolution, and after that East American history mainly around New England.)
    So, your stories are based on the nobility? Not everyone does that.
    I like stories that climb from pesant to nobility, then get thrown back down again, only to make the climb again.
    I mean I get having tools, I'm not particularly going to use bonnets and powdered wigs,but make it happen.
    I am fond of the pastel wigs >.>
    But the bonnets are ick.... unless you're talking jane austen era. In which case, from my modern view, they are comical but cute.

I'm just thinking about townies, sims that generate, and the setting sims are in now.
    I just want it to look good, incase my sim is walking down Main Street with a petticoat, or crinoline. Kind of as if sims are doing a reenactment and it's okay if the Sim pulls out their phone.
    But surely, it wouldn't matter if some of the other sims generated look like pesants? You know, to flesh out your world some more. What's the point in being a higher up if you've got no one to be above?

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    It'd be nice to see some more set period stuff. I suppose they'll come in packs more than anything though I'd also like to see maybe a flexible world or two that doesn't break immersion. Then again our sims usually do when they wip out their smartphones since Sims have NO sense of time whatsoever. XD Then you got townies that just wear whatever they want less you go in and fix it. I'm pretty fond of the Renaissance age.

Though I vaguely wonder if they'll make any spinoffs games for the Sims 4 much like they did with Sims medieval. Which was nifty even if it was a bit limited compared to sims 3.

Definitely agree for an option to be able for sims/townies to be locked to certain clothing type category too, style, pack. Maybe the majority of them in my game will stop trying to be hottopic vampire wannabe's.
    5vJrxmT.png