Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sidewalk routing issue

Every time I put a sim on the sidewalk on the lower part in the screenshot, and tell it to walk to/on the left one (which is a separate sidewalk, the one on the right is connected to the lower one in the screenshot and functions as one sidewalk), the sim will walk/swim/boat around the island instead of literally walking two steps to the left. As visible in the screenshot I am providing, it doesn't seem to be the routing paint. I have tried redoing the sidewalks but nothing seems to fix it.
Who can help me figure out what is causing this silly issue?

r67lqfS.png
You may copy or save my posted images, but do not claim them as your own.
Wishlist: here.

Comments

• Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Something I noticed is that the two sidewalks you've placed aren't joined. Try connecting them with an intersection piece at that part where they fork.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    11Marrielle11Marrielle Posts: 87 Member
    Thank you for your reply.
    I've tried that, but I can only connect one sidewalk end to each intersection. I'm not sure if connecting multiple sidewalks to one intersection is even possible, at least my attempts at it have failed.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply.
    I've tried that, but I can only connect one sidewalk end to each intersection. I'm not sure if connecting multiple sidewalks to one intersection is even possible, at least my attempts at it have failed.

Of course it's possible. The sidewalk intersection works the same as the one for the street. You can connect up to four sidewalks to it. I can't post pictures because there's something wrong with the forum right now. But if you just play with the intersection, you will see what I mean. You connect the main road to one side of the intersection square. You connect the other two sidewalks to two of the remaining sides. Then you drag the handles to manipulate the two forked roads so that one curves down the side of one hill and the other curves down the other side.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    I don't know why it didn't work earlier but thanks for letting me know that it should work. I just tried again and it worked indeed. It just looks a bit odd now with the different "tiles" intersecting each other but I'll work it out, maybe use a different texture. It's going to be a natural looking island world anyway.
  • Options
    Glad it all worked out. :)
    EiFlric.png
  • Options

Also if you happen to know why my sims run almost a full circle around the house before they go inside, let me know. I've seen some other situations of the sims routing in illogical ways but this one is just a bit too much. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Turns out there's something with the terrain there where the sims decide to run around the house. I can't flatten the terrain in a 3x3 area and the game tells me "can't move terrain below object" when I try to raise the terrain. Obviously I can't find any objects there.

*Edit: I can flatten the terrain now. I just did and the routing was fixed. :)
  • Options
    Haha, welcome to worldbuilding. Gotta love those wonderful little routing quirks in CAW that can drive anyone crazy! :D
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    It's happening again. I'll probably rebuild the lots and make sure they're all flat, then make every bit of cliff around them unroutable. It's probably the only way to fix the sims running through the very corners of the lots which go a little bit up the cliff in several places. You'd expect there would be no reason for them to walk there but... Sims logic. :D