Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trying to download sims 3 onto D drive

Everytime I try to change the folder for download through origin it says the game installation directory is invalid.

Anyone have any advice? I've googled my brain out and nothing has worked! Do I have to prepare the d drive in any way? Format it or something so it accepts things? It wouldn't even accept sims 4 when I tried to put it on there. I have a brand new cyberpower gaming desktop.

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    D is a second internal drive?

Nothing conclusive has ever been reported, but is Origin installed on C or D? You may have a slightly easier time with this if Origin itself is installed on D.

But the games, especially TS3, will likely continue to be stubborn with the user game folder. Many players with multiple drives who just don't have enough space to work with on C go ahead and install the games on it anyway (if they can and still have enough free space left for Windows to maneuver) but redirect their entire Documents Library/My Documents folder to D so that content, mods, installed worlds, saved games and the one actually being played at the moment, etc. are all really on the second drive. But you would have to be prepared for your entire Documents folder to be redirected that way, not just things having to do with Sims. The most successful way of doing that involves Symbolic Links so that any activity involving Documents at all seamlessly happens on the D drive.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    zosiezosie Posts: 14 New Member
    last time that happened to mine it was just that the disk was scratched pretty good :/ although that might not be your case, it still helped in that situation.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited November 2017
    First you have to change the install directory in Origin. What I have found is when some users use a usb drive that drive designation may not be D or usb devices have been known to change designation. I have noticed that Origin expects the folder to exist rather then create the folder if it doesn't already exist. Just create an empty folder at the destination. To check the status go to control panel - administrative tools - computer management and check the status of the drive. If the drive is new you may need to do a quick format to use the drive. hth
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.