Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Editing the GraphicRules.sgr file for HQ-MOD

Hello everyone!
@SimGuruModSquad I really hope you could help me out with this one, or anyone else who is a expert in reading configuration files :smiley: For 3 evenings in a row i'm trying to find the right part of the GraphicRules.sgr file to modify, so that the HQ-mod from Alf-si ((still can't include a link, good grief :expressionless: ... been here longer then this website exists... don't post things very often) will run on Mac as well. The install instructions she wrote are for windows only but I hoped that the game would have more similarities with the windows-version.

I did the exact same thing for mac only after editing the file it won't start (I have back-ups from the file, of course! :blush: ) I've tested allot and it drives me mad because I really want to figure out!!! :disappointed:
The part that needs editing is underneath this sentence (according to the install instructions based on Windows):
setting $VeryHigh
prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimLODDistances "25, 50, 100, 1000"
prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimTextureSizes "4096 (originally was 2048), 2048, 512, 128"
prop $ConfigGroup CASSimTextureSize 4096 (originally was 2048)
prop $ConfigGroup ThumbnailSimTextureSize 2048
prop $ConfigGroup CASSinglePassShaderEnabled false
prop $ConfigGroup MinSimLOD 0
prop $ConfigGroup SimCacheSizeLimit 200
prop $ConfigGroup EnableSimPointLighting true
prop $ConfigGroup PhysiqueTextureBlendingOnLot 2

Before I started editing the GraphicsRules file I already downloaded the replacements for the base game and expansion pack retextures and placed them in my mods folder. Game started as usual, no problems then. CC has the same format for both Windows and Mac versions right? Never had any problems with CC (mostly created by creators who play and create on PC)

Does the GraphicsRules file differ from the one of Windows version of TS4? It looks like they're the same but since I can't get it to work they probably aren't. Really hope you can help me so we, allot of other simmers who would definitely want to use this mod, can use it as well :blush:
Tumblr username; Renorasims.

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Did you message me on Tumblr?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    CC and Mods work for PC and Mac but I have come across a couple of people in the past who couldn't get the HQ Mod to work on their Macs. They both had AMD GPUs. From a quick look at the GraphicsCards and GraphicsRules files they look pretty generic. I shouldn't imagine they'd write different ones for Windows and OS X.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hi @Willemijn23 ,

The textures and SGR file are identical between Mac and PC. There is some Mac specific logic in the SGR file, but doubt that is causing the problem you are seeing. My guess would be that the increased texture size does not work on some Macs due to a driver issue or something along those lines. What model is your Mac and GPU? How is the mod failing, is it causing the game to crash?

-SGMS
  • Options
    Willemijn23Willemijn23 Posts: 54 Member

Hi @SimGuruModSquad, Thanks for the fast reply! :smiley:
    these are my specs (forgot them in the first post, sorry :blush: )

iMac 27" med 2011
    processor: 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
    Game runs on highest settings pretty smoothly, too much CC (guilty pleasure :blush: ) causes to delay the start-up process sometimes for 5 minutes max but after the game is fully loaded to the main menu it runs like a champ without hick-ups long loading screens or lagging/freezing . Other programs like Final Cut and Photoshop also run without a hitch.

The game seems to get started but almost immediately get's shut down again, mostly I have to do it with Force Quit/Stop because its not responding. When I normally start the game you quietly 'hear' the Mac starting it (hard drive). When I edit the configuration file and try to start the game you don't hear anything.

If I can get it to work I'd like to make a install instruction for the Mac-Simmers out here :smiley:

it's 10 PM over here so If I don't quickly respond I'll probably sleep :blush: I'll respond as soon as I can tomorrow :smile: Also thanks at @BluebellFlora for the help so far :wink: yes that was me on tumblr :)
  • Options
    Willemijn23Willemijn23 Posts: 54 Member
    CC and Mods work for PC and Mac but I have come across a couple of people in the past who couldn't get the HQ Mod to work on their Macs. They both had AMD GPUs. From a quick look at the GraphicsCards and GraphicsRules files they look pretty generic. I shouldn't imagine they'd write different ones for Windows and OS X.

I have a AMD graphics card :hushed: ... iMac always have a AMD graphics card as far as I can tell, at least the ones I had. If that's the problem that would be a bummer! Hopefully it's not that! :open_mouth:
  • Options

I have a AMD graphics card :hushed: ... iMac always have a AMD graphics card as far as I can tell, at least the ones I had. If that's the problem that would be a bummer! Hopefully it's not that! :open_mouth:

I think the highest resolution on the 2011 iMac is 2560 x 1440? Could that be the issue?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Also, is the Config.log showing anything untoward since you edited the sgr file?
    apple-signature.png