Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 University Life or Sims 3 Generations

So, lately I've been thinking about getting the Sims 3 and I really want to get an expansion pack to. I'm aiming towards buying university life but people say that university life gets boring after a while and that the sims 3 generations is really fun. I just wanna hear some opinions on the 2 different expansion packs :smile:

Comments

• Options
    Marycool33Marycool33 Posts: 151 Member
    Although University Life brings some cool stuff, it can be time consuming for your sim if you're planning on passing. I really wanted my sim to get an A on final exams and that caused her to spend her time taking care of her mood and studying. There wasn't much time for fun for her, sadly. Generations helps if you like family play. It brings quite a lot of things to sim's lives.
  • Options
    MysteriousSimszMysteriousSimsz Posts: 50 Member
    University all the way. They have smartphones and you can take your sim to university. You can also take selfies now too.
  • Options
    monon0kemonon0ke Posts: 144 Member
    Generations. To me it gave everything in my game more personality. I loved it so so much. I want it in the sims 4 because nothing else to me would matter apart from seasons
    tumblr_o7ljq7l45_Y1qet0cro1_500.gif
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Getting a sim through university can be difficult if you go for 3 classes a term. I send sims for only 1 or 2 classes (usually 2) and they have plenty of time to get an A grade, have fun at the social group hangout lots, make extra money, work on skills, etc. The university term acts like World Adventure destinations - your sim doesn't age and neither does the world back home. So, it's effective free extra life for your sims. Plus, UL comes with a lot of content for the homeworld too. However, at its core UL does get repetitive if you send a lot of sims to university. I like the extra trait slot though (I think you can get a degree and the trait slot with a LTR though) and I really like the UL premade sims, and generally enjoy the experience.

Generations is more subtle. It doesn't have a real stand-out feature but adds a lot of little things to the game. I definitely like the field trips for kids and the after school activities options. There are a lot of interactions added to the game which makes playing a richer experience. I did not care for the Imaginary friends though. Those were creepy, frequently in the way, consumed all of my toddler's attention, and there's no easy in-game way to get rid of them. I got a mod to stop them from being given to newborns.

I'd go with UL before Generations, personally.
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    While I don't have University, Generations adds nice subtle additions throughout all the, well, generations. Especially if you love playing families, this really adds nice features :) But if you are more focused on young adults/single Sims, University might be a fun expansion for your playstyle.
  • Options
    JBalJBal Posts: 74 Member
    I don't have university myself, but I played The Sims 2 university pack (I imagine it's pretty similar, but Generations is great and adds a whole lot of really cool, detailed, little things to the game. In my mind though, these things should have been in the base game, but ya know, doesn't make it a bad pack!
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    University Life is one of the few EPs that I uninstalled. It was fun one time through and then I was bored. I hate cell phones and selfies IRL, so there is that. I found the class stuff repetitive and uninteresting. The Uni neighborhood is lovely, though.

LOVE Generations. It and Seasons are probably my top two must-have EPs. But I love babies and toddlers and children in the game and all their toys, interactions, etc.

Uni Life is not bad; it just depends on how you like to play. Good luck!
  • Options
    Master_SteerpikeMaster_Steerpike Posts: 266 Member
    edited July 2016
    Chelseacyc wrote: »
    So, lately I've been thinking about getting the Sims 3 and I really want to get an expansion pack to. I'm aiming towards buying university life but people say that university life gets boring after a while and that the sims 3 generations is really fun. I just wanna hear some opinions on the 2 different expansion packs :smile:

University Life adds some nice venues, but it also adds social groups. The social groups tend to spread, life a virus. The "nerd" social group is particularly virulent to Sim relationships - they tend towards negative socials (especially "Berate Ignorance") which drives relationships down. The actual playing of University (students) is tedious. Unlike the Sims 2 University, grade (performance) actually decays which means your sims have little to no time to actually enjoy University experience and get a good grade. However, a University Degree is also purchasable with happiness points - this allows you to pick an additional trait for that sim as if graduating with a good grade - and without the grind.

Generations added some nice gameplay and included an "Age Freeze" reward that can be purchased with happiness points - thus allowing you to grant your favorite sims a measure of immortality (without turning aging off).
  • Options
    XannahXannah Posts: 42 Member

As other simmers told you, I suppose it depends on what kind of player you are. Generations is more focused on families while University Life is more suitable for players who don’t mind about freezing things in the homeworld and early stages of Sims’ lives.

University Life could get a bit repetitive if you send every Sim in your household to achieve a degree but, in my opinion, it has lots of cool stuff for the homeworld and the university sub-world is really great.

Generations increase family interactions and gameplay and adds more common or daily sort of stuff for your Sims to enjoy.

I would recommend University Life, but I’m not a family oriented player, I prefer to play young adults or just adult Sims.
    Banner004.jpg
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    If you want to play with families, raising toddlers, kids and teens, Generations will add a lot to your game.

If you want to focus on Young Adults, and build some skills before beginning a career, I recommend University Life.

I have, and play with, both. Only note of caution: raising a kid through Generations on extended lifespan, you can actually max out skills which you might otherwise be wanting to be able to improve to raise academic performance at University. So, depending on what major you plan to pursue, don't take the related skill above 7 or so before enrolling. That leave you room to improve (raising your GPA) while also providing a scholarship (for the skill you already have).
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I like playing families with children but I don't like Generations. I have uninstalled it. It introduced some nice clothes for kids but I don't like the clothes it brought in for adults. There are some cute interactions but there are annoying ones too (children constantly "holding royal court", the creepy imaginary friend, pranks, teens waking up in a bad mood, the whole scolding for breaking curfew that escalates into a fight between kids and parents and ends up with them missing school because they are grounded, etc). And then there are the disappointing features (all the rabbit hole experiences). Prom, boarding school, after school programs, field trips - you don't get to actually play with your sim kids doing those things. Instead they just disappear and you are notified of things that supposedly happen.

I like University Life, especially when I start off a game with young adults. Not only do I have them get a degree with an A GPA so they can start their career at level 4 with more pay. They get an extra trait for getting a diploma. They also get another extra trait if they get to level 8 of a social group. Also there are 3 new careers that can be gotten if they get to level 10 of a social group. I use my sim's time at uni to get 25 acquaintances, lifetime happiness points, level skills - those that can increase their grade and other skills too and make tons of money applying for extra funds from the admin building every day plus going to parties, bowling, etc. When my newly created young adult sim gets back from uni with a degree they are better equipped to start their new life in their home town.

Although I really like uni life my favorite EP is Seasons. It has seasonal festivals and holidays and outdoor activities and clothing for the whole family.
  • Options
    ChelseacycChelseacyc Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you all for the opinions and feedback! I really appreciate it, I decided to get both though, I just really want a real life experience playing the sims so why not live a whole life!