Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Having trouble playing Sims 1 after recent Windows updates? Read this.

hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
Hey everyone!

I'd been having trouble getting Sims 1 to start up. I already had an installed game, it had worked before on the computer, etc. I quit playing the game and decided to get back to it recently and...no dice. Wouldn't start the process up, wouldn't do the splash screen, nada. No errors, just nothing. Anyways, far be it from me to give up, so I did a bit of research.

As it would turn out, a new update of Windows, specifically update KB3086255, blocks a file/process from running: secdrv.sys
The windows update does not remove the file or anything, just prevents it from running. This process is part of the SafeDisk protection and games such as The Sims and SimCity 4 utilize it. ---Note that this applies to Vista, 7 & 8(.1) because Windows 10 removes this file. Digital copies of things (steam, origin, Amazon) are unaffected because this has to do with reading from the disk drive.

At this point, if you follow the guide, you take your own risks to the security vulnerability of your system. I am confident in my antivirus software and how I use the internet (to where I don't care about minor security issues), but this solution is NOT for everyone /end disclaimer

After reading all the above, here is the guide: http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/68930-windows-update-kb3086255-blocks-sc4-from-starting/

I found that the most useful, but I would recommend (unless you know what you're doing) to do the following snippet from the guide:
1) Use the command prompt, not the registry editor
2) Start/stop the service before/after playing the game.
---Alternatively, disable the service if you're aware of the risks.

Hope this helps someone, since it took me a couple days to find this out. If you try the above and still have issues, feel free to use this thread for debugging Sims 1 and Windows OS :)