Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 stuck on the blue screen after the launcher on my new MacBook Air 13"

ollimackadolliollimackadolli Posts: 3 New Member
edited September 2015 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
I recently got a new MacBook Air 13", and since I already had The Sims 3 on my Origin account, I installed it on my mac. Now, I've tried to start it, maybe 25 times, and 2 times (not the first 2, but 2 totally random times) it's worked, but the other 23 times it gets stuck on the blue screen with The Sims 3 logo, after the launcher. Also, when I'm on that blue screen, the text "The Sims 3 unexpectedly stopped" or something like that comes up, and it doesn't seem to matter if I press "ignore" or "open again", the game still doesn't start. I've tried to skip the launcher by editing the info.plist, but the only thing different, except skipping the launcher, is that the text saying that the game has crashed doesn't pop up - though, I'm still stuck on the blue screen. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    The Sims 3 is not compatible on your Mac due to the graphics card being unsupported. Thanks to various members of the community a fix has been found. It involves patience and concentration as you are required to edit some game files so make sure you're comfortable :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I did the tutorial, and it seemed to work as it launched, but when I got into Sunset Valley, the map was all gray and I couldn't see a thing. I figured it was the graphics settings, but they were all at the lowest resolution. I was going to try changing the graphics settings like it said at the end of the tutorial, but now the game won't launch again, just as before.
    Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    I did the tutorial, and it seemed to work as it launched, but when I got into Sunset Valley, the map was all gray and I couldn't see a thing. I figured it was the graphics settings, but they were all at the lowest resolution. I was going to try changing the graphics settings like it said at the end of the tutorial, but now the game won't launch again, just as before.
    Thanks anyway.

It might not launch because the process is still running. Did you check Activity Monitor and cancel the process if it is still running, after you quit the game?

In the GraphicsRules.sgr file, underneath where you added IntelHD6000:

rules-6000.png

try changing the $cardLevelMedium to $cardLevelLow

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    You could also try putting your CPU in the GraphicsRules.sgr. I copied and pasted the 3 lines above and just changed IvyBridge to Broadwell:

gcsgr.png

You may or may not need to edit the original IvyBridge line to IntelHD6000.

Give it a go, I really appreciate you trying, thank you so much. I don't have your Mac so I'm just looking at it logically. I'm now wondering why it's working for some and not others.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Tried it, and it still didn't launch :/ thanks for all your help anyway. I'll try to play it on my brothers windows computer instead :)
  • Options
    Oh I'm sorry. I'd love to know what's causing the issue for you. If I can think of or come across anything else I'll let you know. Thanks for trying :)
    apple-signature.png