Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 for MacBook Air (origin download) stuck on launch screen

I have a brand new MacBook Air therefore it does not have a CD drive and I had to download The Sims 3 and The Sims 3 Pets from the Origin component. Once I finished downloading, I clicked "play" from the welcome screen and it opened with what I would consider a launch screen. It has the green diamond symbol and a 3 beside it on a blue background. It doesn't take up the whole background just a square in the exact center of the screen and it has been stuck on this for about 30 minutes now.

Comments

• Options
    allieb15allieb15 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2015
    I tried posting a pic but it won't let me
    Post edited by allieb15 on
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but:

TS3 is a very intensive game and doesn't play well on MacBook Air at all because the MBA isn't powerful enough to play it. Some folks have gotten just the base game to work, or the base game with an EP or two, but Pets is one of the most intensive EPs. It's likely that your MBA isn't strong enough to run Pets. Does just the base game work?
  • Options
    MNJetterMNJetter Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm having the exact same problem, also on a recently-bought Macbook Air. I doubt it is a power issue. I'm sure there ARE power issues related to the Macbook Air, but this doesn't smell like one. The launcher opens fine, but when I hit the "play" button, I get the blue pre-loading screen with the plumbob forever. If I give up and decide to force quit, then hitting the "play" button tells me "Cannot start the process when the Game is running," even though there is no game running. If I restart the computer, the whole thing starts again with the blue plumbob screen. This is a problem with the way the startup process is built, not with the power of the machine.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    MNJetter wrote: »
    I'm having the exact same problem, also on a recently-bought Macbook Air. I doubt it is a power issue. I'm sure there ARE power issues related to the Macbook Air, but this doesn't smell like one. The launcher opens fine, but when I hit the "play" button, I get the blue pre-loading screen with the plumbob forever. If I give up and decide to force quit, then hitting the "play" button tells me "Cannot start the process when the Game is running," even though there is no game running. If I restart the computer, the whole thing starts again with the blue plumbob screen. This is a problem with the way the startup process is built, not with the power of the machine.

But it's not affecting everyone. Does it still happen when you move out your Sims 3 folder onto the desktop and let the game regenerate a new one?

Neither of you state how much RAM you have, nor if you've purged RAM before attempting to launch the game.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Also try bypassing the Launcher to start the game. The instructions are in the thread called "Mac User's Best Friend" stickied at the top of this forum.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    audreydollaudreydoll Posts: 111 New Member
    Does anyone know if the Sims 3 base game + Supernatural + Seasons would work on a MBA 2014 ?
    I've never tried to play since I bought my macbook as I'm afraid to slow it down, but lately I've been thinking of installing my two favorites EPs only. Would store content make the game slower too ? I'd love to buy Midnight Hollow too.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I am not sure. You'd need to make sure that you have enough RAM to run the game and remember to purge often.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    audreydollaudreydoll Posts: 111 New Member
    1,4 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 Mo

According to my mac specs, I think it could actually be fine. May I ask you what you mean by purging often ?
  • Options
    KathleenAshleeKathleenAshlee Posts: 1 New Member
    i'm having the same exact problem and i have a macbook pro which should definitely be able to handle this game. i played it on my old pro and it worked fine. so the macbook air isn't the problem
  • Options
    i'm having the same exact problem and i have a macbook pro which should definitely be able to handle this game. i played it on my old pro and it worked fine. so the macbook air isn't the problem

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/841989/attn-if-your-game-wont-start-read-here
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    rosinenbomberrosinenbomber Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum.

Used to be able to play The Sims 3 plus expansions on my previous MacBook Air.

Now that I'm on the MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) model, I can't seem to play it anymore.

Am getting the exact same problem as posted here:
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837000/the-sims-3-for-macbook-air-origin-download-stuck-on-launch-screen#latest

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times but nothing seems to be working at all.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Many thanks!
  • Options
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum.

Used to be able to play The Sims 3 plus expansions on my previous MacBook Air.

Now that I'm on the MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) model, I can't seem to play it anymore.

Am getting the exact same problem as posted here:
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837000/the-sims-3-for-macbook-air-origin-download-stuck-on-launch-screen#latest

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times but nothing seems to be working at all.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Many thanks!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/841989/attn-if-your-game-wont-start-read-here
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    simsssssssssssssimssssssssssss Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello i know i am late to this, but i just got a new Mac Book Air and its from early 2015 with intel 6000 graphics. I am having the same issue with the giant blue square with the plumbob popping up and not loading any further. I easily and succesfully downloaded the Sims 3 base game and generations. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I've already tried moving the sims folder on to the desk top and my game is up to date!
  • Options
    Hello i know i am late to this, but i just got a new Mac Book Air and its from early 2015 with intel 6000 graphics. I am having the same issue with the giant blue square with the plumbob popping up and not loading any further. I easily and succesfully downloaded the Sims 3 base game and generations. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I've already tried moving the sims folder on to the desk top and my game is up to date!

The game is not compatible on your Mac - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/841989/attn-if-your-game-wont-start-read-here/p1
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    PurgisonPurgison Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes it still happens when I move the game onto the desktop.
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > MNJetter wrote: »
    >
    > I'm having the exact same problem, also on a recently-bought Macbook Air. I doubt it is a power issue. I'm sure there ARE power issues related to the Macbook Air, but this doesn't smell like one. The launcher opens fine, but when I hit the "play" button, I get the blue pre-loading screen with the plumbob forever. If I give up and decide to force quit, then hitting the "play" button tells me "Cannot start the process when the Game is running," even though there is no game running. If I restart the computer, the whole thing starts again with the blue plumbob screen. This is a problem with the way the startup process is built, not with the power of the machine.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But it's not affecting everyone. Does it still happen when you move out your Sims 3 folder onto the desktop and let the game regenerate a new one?
    >
    > Neither of you state how much RAM you have, nor if you've purged RAM before attempting to launch the game.
  • Options
    Joshutcherson1Joshutcherson1 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @allieb15 said:
    > I have a brand new MacBook Air therefore it does not have a CD drive and I had to download The Sims 3 and The Sims 3 Pets from the Origin component. Once I finished downloading, I clicked "play" from the welcome screen and it opened with what I would consider a launch screen. It has the green diamond symbol and a 3 beside it on a blue background. It doesn't take up the whole background just a square in the exact center of the screen and it has been stuck on this for about 30 minutes now.

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX IT!!!!!
    I had the same issue as you.. with the blue screen and the dimond symbol, and I saw lots of people saying that installing EP's wouldn't work since the base game isn't working.. But what i did was installed the base game ( note that the base game wasn't working for me either ) and I Then installed sims 3 supernatural just normally like the base game (NO NEED TO DO ANYTHING) and it worked perfectly fine! Trust it should work for u too :)