Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pie menu lag?

carleighcanecarleighcane Posts: 205 Member
This issue is similar to something I heard others have after Showtime (I believe), where pie menus took a few seconds to pop up, but this only occurs when clicking on sims. Clicking on the active sim and clicking on other sims causes a 5-10 second lag before the pie menu pops up. Clicking on objects or the ground has no menu lag. It makes the game playable if I never want my sims to interact, which is not the case, hence his post.

This lag started randomly a few days ago, nothing about my game or computer had changed previous to the lag occurring. My computer can more than handle TS3, and I have been playing with only the occasional problem (usually patch related, fixed glitches I never had and gave me problems) for years.
The base game, EPs, and SPs I have are all legit purchased discs.
My game is updated.
I have mods installed, but removing them from my game did not help.
I have cc installed, checking 'run without custom content' in the launcher did not help. Removing it from my game seemed to shave a second off the lag time, but did not eradicate the issue.
This lag occurs both playing saved games and starting new games.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to fix this, please post.
wishlist
Post edited by carleighcane on

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I can only make suggestions.

I'd recommend checking all inventories and remove all unnecessary items. I aim to keep my Sim and household inventories empty since I had MI uses of delay each time I tried to do anything.

If inventories are good then I'd try a factory reset. This is because bad cc can attach itself to things and there is no other way to get rid of it.

Critict has a sticky near the top of this forum on how to get rid of bad cc.
  • Options
    I usually keep inventories clear: all foods in the fridge, books in bookshelves, gems/rocks in one of the WA treasure trunks.. but upon checking there were random gifts in some household inventories. Still though that did not help with the lag, so I will check Crinrict's forum. Thank you!
    wishlist
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    For sure 3 has a slower engine and the sticky feel or delay is part of the problem but since this seems new to you. it's possible it's a hardware issue. What's your processor, card and ram amount. Also is it every game or just older saves?
  • Options
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > For sure 3 has a slower engine and the sticky feel or delay is part of the problem but since this seems new to you. it's possible it's a hardware issue. What's your processor, card and ram amount. Also is it every game or just older saves?

Intel i5-2410M 2.30GHz
    GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB
    6GB, 5.9 usable
    (I know you didn't ask for hard drive space but) 465GB, 210GB free

It's all games, new and saves. The lag is actually even longer in new games, going up to 20 seconds.
    wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Something I just thought about and forgot to add: my fps range has always been 40-70 (or at least since last summer when I started ctrl+c/fps on and could make note of it) and now since this lag started it ranges from 3-15
    wishlist
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > For sure 3 has a slower engine and the sticky feel or delay is part of the problem but since this seems new to you. it's possible it's a hardware issue. What's your processor, card and ram amount. Also is it every game or just older saves?

Intel i5-2410M 2.30GHz
    GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB
    6GB, 5.9 usable
    (I know you didn't ask for hard drive space but) 465GB, 210GB free

It's all games, new and saves. The lag is actually even longer in new games, going up to 20 seconds.

thanks for adding hard drive that would matter as well. as for specs, you have listed a laptop processor but a desktop card can you confirm for me your process
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I apologize for the confusion, that is in fact the card I have in my desktop.. I think I typed that automatically when I read 'card' since it's a card and my laptop has an integrated chip.

My laptop has integrated Intel HD 4000 chip.
    Post edited by carleighcane on
    wishlist
  • Options
    ModestSimmerModestSimmer Posts: 7 New Member
    Has anyone found out how to fix this? Its super frustrating. I know it has to do with mods.. my vanilla game is super smooth! But I can’t play without mods. It would be helpful knowing what mods cause this.. I’ve read about a broken pattern.. I tried filtering my mods playing with some at a time.. cutting down on mods seems to reduce the lag with 2 sec (instead of 4) but it won’t completely go away
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Has anyone found out how to fix this? Its super frustrating. I know it has to do with mods.. my vanilla game is super smooth! But I can’t play without mods. It would be helpful knowing what mods cause this.. I’ve read about a broken pattern.. I tried filtering my mods playing with some at a time.. cutting down on mods seems to reduce the lag with 2 sec (instead of 4) but it won’t completely go away
    I'm afraid it's not that simple once we get beyond clogged inventories and lots with too many objects total on them. If you know that the game performs fine (with respect to the menus appearing) with no mods in place at all, the delay re-appears with all of your mods in play, and is half as bad with fewer of them, then I think you have proven that your particular mod combination is causing or at least contributing to the issue.

And have you tried loading up a new test game in a different world to see if the problem follows you over there or is specific to the world and home lot being played?

Have you tried running Delphy's Dashboard to look for outright corrupt package files and conflicts? Note that it will kick up some false positives and miss other things so it's not a perfect solution by any means, but might help point you in the right direction.
    http://modthesims.info/d/387006

Broken patterns, yes of course, but in my experience those tend to cause the game to freeze up completely especially when using CASt rather than cause click-lag.

The only other thing you can really do is try different combinations of your mods until you can strike a balance between performance and the added affects as desired. Perhaps start with half of your current mods and see how that goes. If it's okay, then add half of what remains or if not, remove half and keep proceeding like that until you can narrow things down a bit more.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    ModestSimmerModestSimmer Posts: 7 New Member
    Thanks @igazor! I think I found the solution. It definitely has to do with mods conflicting. And I don’t mean Core and Script mods in my case but just objects.

I moved my DCCache to my desktop and clicking on a sim now took just 1 to 1,5 sec.
    So what I did is.. I changed all .dbc files in DCCache to .package files. (Always make a backup!)
    Just remove the .dbc and replace it with .package it’ll ask you if you’re sure click yes.
    I then opened it in S3PE and it looked like any of the other merged package files I have.
    I added the files to CC Magic (You can also put them in the mods/packages folder if you don’t use CC magic, which by the way I highly highly recommend!).
    I ran Delphi’s Dashboard to see which of those files were conflicting and what it conflicted with. Turns out it conflicts with a or some Store Content and an item from Murano.
    When I ran the game without the Store Content and Murano the interaction menu lag was only 1 to 1,5 sec instead of 5! I was amazed..

Now with everyone of my mods incl the “dbc” files I have a 2 sec lag.. so just by converting them into package files I managed to reduce the lag by 3 sec! And with games every sec counts.

I always have CCMagic Compress the mods when I do a rebuild (it’s the standard setting)

So I think this is the solution. Did a lot of testing A LOT! Before I figured this one out.