Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else have issues with rainbow screen/menu bars going black or disappearing?

I've been having multiple issues and have tried a full clean install as well as the Intel processor trick, but I'm still getting strange issues with my game such as, if I play for an extended period of time (3-4 hours) or try to do in-depth alterations in CAS to a Sim's face, my sims turn black or the menu options become invisible or disappear and when I go to save the game, the screen changes to a red-yellow-green gradient. I'd post a photo but apparently I don't have the privilege to do that on these boards. Has anyone else had the same issue/know what it might possibly be?

Comments

• Options
    clipnsaveclipnsave Posts: 2 New Member
    I experience the same thing, I see a rainbow to the left of my screen and my game locks up so I'm forced to shut down my desktop I Mac. I don't know what the problem is but I have recently added more RAM to my desktop Mac and have noticed it doesn't happen as often as it used to. One thing for sure, I make it a habit to save my game often. When I know I've played for a long time, or have put a lot into designing a building or sim, I usually save and restart my game just to be sure I don't lose any work. Adding RAM to my iMac later has definitely helped my Sims 3 game run faster and I have all the settings on high.
  • Options
    StrudelzzStrudelzz Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2015
    Same problems here, i downgraded my settings but it still goes crazy after some minutes into the game, rainbow graphics and missing menus. This never happened before, i could run the game on it's highest settings and would run a bit slow but never ever got seizures like it does now. And I have 8 GB, more than enough for the game, i think Yosemite broke the game, or the latest patch broke it? :(
    SyGRAhJ.gif
    Good for health, bad for education.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited January 2015
    Strudelzz wrote: »
    Same problems here, i downgraded my settings but it still goes crazy after some minutes into the game, rainbow graphics and missing menus. This never happened before, i could run the game on it's highest settings and would run a bit slow but never ever got seizures like it does now. And I have 8 GB, more than enough for the game, i think Yosemite broke the game, or the latest patch broke it? :(

What's your Mac? The game can only access 2Gb RAM.
    The game crashes more in CAS because that's where it requires a ton of memory, hence the need to purge RAM frequently, especially in CAS. The game CANNOT access anymore than 2Gb RAM (as Igazor has already pointed out), no matter how much your Mac has. If you have a Mac which has an integrated graphics card (all MacBook Airs, all 13" MacBook Pros and the current entry level 15" MacBook Pro) then there is even more strain on your system because the graphics processor is using the system RAM, not it's own RAM which higher level 15" MacBook Pros and iMacs have.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    sportgal18sportgal18 Posts: 113 Member
    I purge it pretty frequently while playing but I can still only play for a few hours at a time before everything turns into a rainbow or menus go missing or my sims end up looking weird/blacked out. I also play with Nraas as a mod and I don't know how much that actually helps. Sucks though.
  • Options
    StrudelzzStrudelzz Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2015
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Strudelzz wrote: »
    >
    > Same problems here, i downgraded my settings but it still goes crazy after some minutes into the game, rainbow graphics and missing menus. This never happened before, i could run the game on it's highest settings and would run a bit slow but never ever got seizures like it does now. And I have 8 GB, more than enough for the game, i think Yosemite broke the game, or the latest patch broke it?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What's your Mac? The game can only access 2Gb RAM.
    > The game crashes more in CAS because that's where it requires a ton of memory, hence the need to purge RAM frequently, especially in CAS. The game CANNOT access anymore than 2Gb RAM (as Igazor has already pointed out), no matter how much your Mac has. If you have a Mac which has an integrated graphics card (all MacBook Airs, all 13" MacBook Pros and the current entry level 15" MacBook Pro) then there is even more strain on your system because the graphics processor is using the system RAM, not it's own RAM which higher level 15" MacBook Pros and iMacs have.
    >
    It's an iMac from late 2013, with 8 GB and Intel iris pro 1536 MB graphics, using Yosemite of course.
    I did know about the memory issue and how the game it's not native but uses Cider, but well i never got problems until i upgraded to Yosemite and tried to play again, i purged my memory but the issue still persists, so suppose it's something with the integrated graphics card? :\
    SyGRAhJ.gif
    Good for health, bad for education.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yes, it is the Intel Iris graphics cards. Coupled with the appalling memory issues in the game, it makes it pretty difficult to play on Macs with these cards. This is a known issue (there are tons of threads relating to this issue on this forum). Yosemite had updated graphics drivers, as all OS updates do. Unfortunately this doesn't play well with TS3 and even more unfortunately, EA will never release a patch to fix it because they are done with TS3 (and the Intel Iris cards are not even officially supported).

Also, your iMac is of course using your system RAM which doesn't help with the memory issues. Sorry :(
    apple-signature.png