Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Height Maps become nearly flat when importing

I've got this annoying issue when importing custom-made Height Maps into the tool as a base for my world. When I import this map...

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-U1C5t29Cvzg/VHdHgnRrzkI/AAAAAAAABbQ/eHuOYjuV6ZQ/s256-no/dddd.png[/img]

... The map just ends up being way too flat then it should be, and it also ends up way above the water level.

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-MHmt4AWC7eI/VHdIhsOFDXI/AAAAAAAABbs/dx7t0kVv3kY/w1026-h577-no/Close%2BShot.jpg[/img]
Overall%2BShot.jpg

The world I'm trying to make is a 154x154 square island in the middle on a world map of 256x256. My idea island sticks out of the water about 2,5 to 3 in-game floors.

It's really annoying me, since I need a perfect square to start with, opting out editing in the tool, and this is way too flat for me to use for my world idea. If I use other maps, it just works fine. Does anybody have any idea what went wrong and how to solve this issue? I'd be eternally grateful.
Banner.png

Comments

• Options
    MACRONAUTMACRONAUT Posts: 200 Member
    The height map needs to be a 16 bit png. I loaded your image into caw and it shows the same as your picture. After resaving the image as 16bit it loads into caw ok.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2014
    Hi :)

How annoying. :/

You can use the Mask tool to make it perfectly square...

Get the height you want- 300 if you want dive lots- then raise the land in the center to where you can raise the water level to 30 (add layer/place object at waterline to check in property box).

Then you can use the Mask Tool- set square at 100- for around the edges of the map (at its lowest level) and into where you want the land to start- This way you can raise the land to where you want it and raise the water level if you want dive lots. :)

I hope I explained it well enough. :)

This is using mask to make a square hole.
    af2f025b.jpg
  • Options
    M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,720 Member
    @MACRONAUT and @Rflong7

Thank you for your advice, I think I can work it out with it. Now I'm eternally grateful :)
    Banner.png
  • Options
    Oh, good- you were able to decipher my instructions. :mrgreen:

Good Luck!
  • Options
    YaaaY, it really worked! :D

But now, I've got a new issue. At the border of the map, some hideous land is peeking out of the water. It actually IS the border of the map. :c

Borders....jpg

I've got no single idea how to get rid of it. Can you please help me?
    Banner.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Sure- Depending on your map* size, you might want to mask your land edges then use the Terrain tool/Sculpting- choose Flatten-Terrain or Valley-Steep - at a high setting (100) with a big size (50? depending) with high falloff (100) then go around the edges.
    Turn on the Grid (Top of Toolbar) so you can see the land levels underwater. :)
  • Options
    YaY, it worked again! :D Thank you! :D *is even more eternally grateful*
    Banner.png