Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 and Windows 8.1

Okay, so my new computer came. I haven't set it up yet, but I thought I'd ask in advance: does Sims 4 work seamlessly with Windows 8.1, or do you have to do something funky? I seem to remember reading about people having to do something with compatibility mode or something to get Sims 3 to run on 8.1, but the details have gotten away from me.

Actually, if there are tricks to making TS3 and TS2 run on Windows 8.1, I'd appreciate those as well, even though this is not particularly the right place. But my main concern at the moment is TS4.

Comments

• Options
    Eef97Eef97 Posts: 325 Member
    I have Win 8.1 64bit and it runs fine on my laptop.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Okay, so my new computer came. I haven't set it up yet, but I thought I'd ask in advance: does Sims 4 work seamlessly with Windows 8.1, or do you have to do something funky? I seem to remember reading about people having to do something with compatibility mode or something to get Sims 3 to run on 8.1, but the details have gotten away from me.

Actually, if there are tricks to making TS3 and TS2 run on Windows 8.1, I'd appreciate those as well, even though this is not particularly the right place. But my main concern at the moment is TS4.

I've never had any problems with windows 8.1 on Sims 3 or Sims 4.

You may need to do some compatibility with Sims 2.

What graphic card? If it is a dual one? There may be some issues with that.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    That should run awfully nicely :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    I'm anticipating a squeeee that will be heard all the way down the block ;-)
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    That should run awfully nicely :)

You should see the performance at high resolutions (2560x1440) with a higher end card (GTX 770 or R9 280X) in a really beautifully graphical game (not necessarily Sims 4) - now that is something that gives a definite "squeeee"!!

Enjoy :D
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    Afgw2Afgw2 Posts: 21 Member
    TS3 and TS4 both run fine on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview Enterprise on my 8 year old laptop with 128MB Nvidia card, so should be fine on any newer system with equivalent or better graphics. Can't say about TS2 for certain as I only have it installed on XP and don't play it much these days, but if it installs on your system without compatibility issues it should be OK. If Windows gives the option to reinstall using compatibility mode, take it; if you get problems running it, use the shortcut Properties for the Base Game and every EP and SP to put them all into XP compatibility. I had it running on Vista for a while without problems, so you'll probably be OK, as Vista to 10 are all Windows 6.x internally.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member

TS2, TS3, and TS4 run fine on my windows 8.1.
  • Options

LOL this made me laugh, I am anticipating some breath taking screens from you soon.
  • Options
    Well, no squeee as of yet. I downloaded TS4 overnight and tried to launch this morning. Apparently the EA servers are/were down, so I could not activate the game. *sigh* Disappointed, but servers do go down. If they are still down when I get home this evening, I will move from *sigh* to *grrrr."
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options

I've been PMing with somebody who can't even get Origin to start. I will forward this to them, thanks!